Retired Racers?

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by RHough, Mar 4, 2006.

?

What measurement rule produced the best boats?

Poll closed Apr 3, 2006.
  1. Universal Rule (ie. J-Class)

2 vote(s)
    10.0%
  2. International Rule (Metre Classes)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. CCA

5 vote(s)
    25.0%
  4. CHS

1 vote(s)
    5.0%
  5. IOR

3 vote(s)
    15.0%
  6. IMS

2 vote(s)
    10.0%
  7. IRC

2 vote(s)
    10.0%
  8. Other (I'm sure to have missed some)

5 vote(s)
    25.0%
  1. SailDesign

SailDesign Old Phart! Stay upwind..

Because, Gilbert me old mate, the Skerries are just cool, where the CCAs aren't.
    The big difference for me is that the 22s have the headstay set well aft, and the boom is really short, leaving the overhangs just, well, hanging.
    So there you have it, I guess - the Skerry Cruisers are just well hung. :)
    Steve

2. Raggi_Thor

Raggi_Thor Nav.arch/Designer/Builder

I must admit that som of the 8-meters from the 1930ies are also quite cool.
    Johan Anker's boat for prince Olav, for example.

3. CT 249

CT 249 Senior Member

Late CCA produced boats like Tenacious/War Baby (S&S 62), which has spent years happily cruising places like Alaska.

IOR produced lightweight, fractional, in-line with runner-rigged flush deckers like Accanito, which is a great cruising boat according to the French couple who have been cruising her around the Pacific for about 12 years.

RORC produced boats like the S&S 34; a very popular cruiser and singlehanded circumnavigator.

RORC produced boats like Sunstone (Finnisterre type S&S centreboarder) which was a hotshot under IRC and IMS and IOR. She has been a liveboard home since about '87 and has cruised most of the world.

IRC encouraged boats like the Swan 48 (Mk2), which is many people's idea of a good cruiser/daysailer.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.