Replcng Centrbrd With Wing Keel

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by terabika, Jul 19, 2011.

1. terabika

terabika Junior Member

I would enjoy some input on my idea. I have an Endeavor 32 with a centerboard. She draws 3'6" board up and 7' board down. The regular keel version draws 4'2" and is generally thought to sail to weather better. I hate to hear the board slap about. My thought is that the next dry haul, I will place a plate of 1" thick steel under the keel as she is set down, plate having already been wrapped in layers of glass/epoxy. this plate will look like an elongated teardrop and extend the length of the keel/ cebterboard box which is quite nearly flat on the bottom. It shall be glassed in and so protrude from the keel, to port and starboard, some 17" ( I use this number only because it is prime). This will certainly help lateral resistance, hopefully enough to offset the lack of centerboard. and it will put a good bit of weight down there as well. Thoughts and notions anyone??Thanks, Terry

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.