Replace Rod Rigging?

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by ClarkT, Jun 1, 2005.

1. ClarkT

ClarkT Senior Member

I just read a survey that states that the Stainless Steel Rod Rigging on a boat should be replaced if it is older than 10 years old.

Does this statement have any foundation in fact, ABYC guidance, or NAMS guidance? Is this based solely upon the spectre of crevice corrosion? I don't think it is reasonable to sell a used boat then have a surveyor torpedo the sale by saying that all standing rigging on the boat must be replaced if the sale is to go ahead.

Seems that may be a fair request, but not a requirement.

2. Tim B

Tim B Senior Member

It depends what quality the rigging was to start with, and how it's been looked after. Corrosion tends to be the main killer, but rod rigging isn't easy to check properly. If I were you, I'd check the ends (most likely places). If there is no corrosion there then you're probably alright. It is fairly unlikely that there would be a defect in the rod itself that's as large as one at the end from the swaging process. Also, check for signs of corrosion that has been wire-brushed to remove the evidence. Wire-brushing only increases the locations for corrosion. (also true of scratches). Check the rigging before each time sailing if you are worried.
    Advantageously, rod doesn't whip like wire does when it breaks. I'm not sure of the reason for 10 years, I'm sailing a dinghy with 21yo wire rigging (which I'm replacing this season) but rod rigging (I would have thought) should last longer than wire. My advice is to check that it's been well looked after.

Cheers,

Tim B.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.