Regina af Vindo

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by matelot, Oct 3, 2011.

1. matelot

matelot New Member

preparing to buy in 2012. the Regina af Vindo 40 is superb (saw it at the yard last year), but how does it compare in terms of performance relative to the HallbergRassy 40? Any views?

From board design experts, would the REgina 40 be faster than the Regina 43?

thanks

2. Parky

Parky New Member

I would have thought, from the Polars, that the 40 would be quicker in lighter winds and my own experience would confirm this. The 40 is obviously a newer design than the 43 (waterline length is actually 1" greater on the 40).

I am fortunate enough to own a 2011 R40. My previous boat was a Moody S38. I thought that the Regina would be slower than the Moody apart from in a blow, but this is definitely not the case.

3. matelot

matelot New Member

thanks for the reply. Glad to hear from a Regina owner. Would be very interested to hear about your overall experience with the R40. Up to your expectations? Any downsides? Had you considered a Nordship, Southerly or Charles Rutgersson as an alternative deck saloon? Many thanks

4. Parky

Parky New Member

Matelot, Yes, I considered all of the above! I felt that the Nordship was not nearly so elegent or as well finished (although very clever), the Southerly was not as well built and the CR400 not so spacious (my wife also preferred the galley lay out and position on the R40. Overall,, after my first season with the boat I cannot believe how well sorted she is. Beautifully balanced, she tracks very well and sails well. Added to which, the boys at the yard are a joy to deal with - nothing is too much hassle for them. The only downside was the increasing strength of the Swedish kroner as she was being built!

5. matelot

matelot New Member

Parky, very useful. thanks. I see that all of our suspicions are validated by you. would like to see the kroner take a bit of a dip before making the plunge! We are sometime away from making the decision, but if you don't mind, could I bother you with more questions down the road?

6. Parky

Parky New Member

Matelot.....feel free, delighted to be of help.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.