raising my top and mast

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by john a roberts, Jul 23, 2006.

1. john a roberts

john a roberts New Member

Hi, I Am A New Member,please Bear With Me. I Am Raising My Mast By 2ft And Am Wondering What Special Considerations I Need To Impose So That I Dont Have Any More Extra Heel If Possible My Boat Uses A 500pd Knife Keel That Is Retractable My Boat Is A 22ft Mcgegor Thank You For Any Help/caculations And Advice

2. Hunter25

Hunter25 Senior Member

If you raise the CE of your sail plan by two feet, which is about 10%, then you can expect the leverage the wind has on this area to be increased. You could add ballast, but in a centerboard boat like yours it will be difficult to get this additional weight low enough to be truly effective. If you add weight to the board itself, then you could develop other issues, such as the case and/or pivot pin not being up to the job with the increased weight of the centerboard. If you want to go faster in this boat, then you should consider a bigger headsail and use a spinnaker down wind. The Mac 22 was built as a stable, family fun for an afternoon platform and is limited in its abilities. She is designed to go so fast and then you run into a wall, where she just can not do any better, without drastic changes to her shape and weight. What are you trying to achieve with this rig height change?

3. john a roberts

john a roberts New Member

raising my mast

hi hunter 25 and thank you for your input,my plan is to give me head room in the cockpit i am a fair weather sailor and am looking more for comfort then performance i just want to be safe with this my fear is raising the main and healing over 60 degrees again thank you for taking the time to read my issues and reply.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.