Boat Design Forums  |  Boat Design Directory  |  Boat Design Gallery  |  Boat Design Book Store  |  Thanks to Our Site Sponsors

Go Back   Boat Design Forums > Design > Sailboats
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Most Recent Posts Gallery Images Search

Old 11-26-2009, 03:50 PM

Rep: 32 Posts: 25
Questions For Moth Sailors

For my final year project at uni I am currently planning to write a VPP for a foiling moth. however I don't sail one, and don't know anyone who does..

At what ride height would you configure your centreboard lifting foil's neutral flap angle to be?

And does this change depending on the wind speed?

And finally would it be appropriate to assume that the whole lifting foil section is parallel to the hull at the centre board? If not does this change with wind speed?

Cheers

Dale

Old 11-26-2009, 04:07 PM
Flight Ready

Rep: 1253 Posts: 10,330
I'm not a Moth sailor but have collected a lot of info on the Foiler Moth- some of it may help you:
1) The Foiling Guide by Adam May: http://www.int-moth.org.uk/Worddocs/...ide1_Intro.pdf

2) "Hydrofoils-Design Build Fly" by Ray Vellinga-best hydrofoil design manual available with a section on design of the Moth.

3) Bill Beaver's paper on Foiler Moth design:
Attached Files
File Type: pdf CSYSPaperFeb09.pdf (882.9 KB, 121 views)
Old 11-26-2009, 10:37 PM
Previous Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalebirrell View Post
For my final year project at uni I am currently planning to write a VPP for a foiling moth. however I don't sail one, and don't know anyone who does..

At what ride height would you configure your centreboard lifting foil's neutral flap angle to be?

And does this change depending on the wind speed?

And finally would it be appropriate to assume that the whole lifting foil section is parallel to the hull at the centre board? If not does this change with wind speed?

Cheers

Dale

Join Sailing Anarchy and in the Dinghy Anarchy forum there are a lot of Moth Sailors, designers and serious engineering talent.

--
Bill
Old 11-27-2009, 09:46 AM

Rep: 32 Posts: 25
thanks to both, much appreciation

dale

Old 11-27-2009, 12:36 PM
Previous Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalebirrell View Post
thanks to both, much appreciation

dale
Dale:

Keep checking back at Sailing Anarchy - and explaining where you are located is a good idea. The site has members worldwide, and you can't expect most folks to search on Strathclyde (like I did).

The site is frequented by a lot of good folks, and some annoying knobs as well. The "F-Off Newb" thing is a tradition (of sorts) so don't take offense.

There are one hell of a lot of great Moth developers in the UK, and given the tiny size of the country (by Canadian standards) you should be able to connect with some and get hands on with a variety of Moths.

--
Bill