Quant 23 Foiler Scow

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by Doug Lord, Jun 8, 2015.

1. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

2. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

3. sigurd

sigurd Pompuous Pangolin

Love the voluptuous yet slender and pointy catascow, except what you did to the bows when you took away the deck. In the old days bows were made to resist submerging. Modern, reverse bows are so good because they can resurface easily, and because they have little drag when submerging, making the stop slower and a recovery possible.
    You seem to have made a big scoop with a powerful downwards force, should it ever find itself under water. Also, what of the poor, soaked wet hamster crews in the cockpit?
    Side note, the bow wing may help, but then dynamic lift always comes with drag, exaggerated at slow speed, and in a pitchpole, the boat is verily stopping, making lift induced drag seem an issue - and it is drag that is tripping the boat. Hard to say, interesting to see.

ps. I think your catascow is going to be faster than the quant - voluptuous, yet slender pointy things they are.

4. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

Dominion 2-HW

Thanks, but I don't think the midship section will ever see the water. This boat is a self-righting foiler that will foil in a 5mph breeze(4.35 knots). Don't have to worry about big waves because, like any scow, it will be sailed in conditions that suit it.
    I've used a +6 degree forward wing on models 20 years ago-and it works 95% of the time-but on this boat I imagine it will rarely get its chance.
    We'll see!

5. sigurd

sigurd Pompuous Pangolin

Not just the midship section, the bows insides too. It's ok to make a boat that only work in flat water, but do you have a reason for those features? What if I got me a scow, for sailing in a fjord, then there comes a motorboat, or the wind is from the long side of the fjord, I pitchpole, then I'd like to say, well ok, not the best rough sea hull, but it is like that for x reason.
    I mean, it's a model, I don't have a contention - it'll be interesting to see what happens.

6. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

D2

There isn't a problem-the little side "lips" lift with any waves and the midship section is too far back to be a problem especially considering that the foils will be lifting in virtually all conditions. This thing isn't limited to just flat water any more than a normal scow is and -again- the foils change everything. The foils dictate the conditions the boat can sail in not the hull.......

The reason for the shape is that I had originally designed the boat more like Dominion with a full deck but after I got the thing started it seemed like that was just too much and would accomplish nothing but adding weight. So I spent a lot of time trying to figure a way to get rid of the extra weight and windage(when 90 degrees) and came up with this after many, many hours of trying to find a solution.
    The pictures below show what the original design would have looked like:

click on picture for larger-

Attached Files:

7. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

D2

And finally this:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

Quant 23 and D2 foils

Foils from the top: 1) production Q23 foils, 2) Q23 proto stb foil, 3) D2 stb foil, 4) D2 foils, keel + rudder:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. sigurd

sigurd Pompuous Pangolin

Ah yes - in that case I like how you solved it.

10. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

11. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

Quant 23 Inspired Dominion 2-HW RC Foiler

Getting more done:

[​IMG]

12. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

13. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

D2 with "B" Rig and Foils

Making Progress-smaller of the two rigs. The main is reefable and jib is removable so you could call this the "B" and "C" rig:
    [​IMG]

14. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

15. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.