Pt 30 Mk2

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by glasseye42, Mar 21, 2005.

1. glasseye42

glasseye42 Junior Member

Does anyone have information on a boat called the PT30 MK2 designed by Britt Chance and built I think by a company called Plastrend although I have not varified this? There is one sitting in a yard near here that has been on the hard for a while but appears to be in fairly decent condition. I did find a PHRF listing for it of 159 but cannot find any info on this boat on the net. Can anyone help?

Paul Marshall

2. water addict

water addict Naval Architect

I sailed against one as a kid. Very fast in light air, somewhat tender when the breeze comes on. Seemed like a good all around boat. Don't have any detailed specs though.

3. glasseye42

glasseye42 Junior Member

Pt30 Mk2

Thanks for your comments. The PT 30 has the severly swept back fin popular in the 60's or early 70's which I would guess is the vintage of this boat. The rudder is transom mounted. It's amazing to me how nothing shows up on the net when doing a search. Britt Chance was a well known designer and yet even his name brings up nothing on the PT30. I have a faint memory of these boats....I was racing on a very hot Cheoy Lee Offshore 36 at that time (late CCA rule era) here on Lake Michigan. Perhaps not that many PT 30's were built although MK2 would indicate two versions of the boat. I'm fairly sure they were built by a company called Plastrend of PlasTrend, hence the PT for PlasTrend. I can't come up with anything on Plastrend either. They may have been built in Florida but I'm unsure. Thanks again.
    Paul

4. mila

mila New Member

Plastrend pt30

Hi there it just so happens that my brother owns a pt30 although i'm not sure what the MK2 means. We are going to be in Mich City this summer maybe you would like to drop by and see the boat. I'll ask my brother if he minds answering any questions about the boat. I can tell you that it is a good boat. it's dry and like heavy wind. I can also send some pics if you would like

5. yokebutt

yokebutt Boatbuilder

Jim Antrim told me that he had some epic arguments with Britt Chance about swept foils when he worked for him.

Yokebutt.

6. glasseye42

glasseye42 Junior Member

Pt30

I would be interested in learning more about these boats with an eye on seeking out the owner of the boat here on the hard.....or it's possible the yard owns it due to yard bill????....it happens.

Anyway it would be good to know more before going further so it your brother would not mind sharing opinion that would be helpful. Will the boat be here for the Chicago/Michigan City race or just cruising?

Thanks for the reply.

Paul

7. troymeister

troymeister New Member

I Own One. Good boat. Last year built was 1973 I believe. Like any old boat they need a lot of tlc. Good up-wind and likes heavier weather. Not bad in light air either. Over all I am happy with the boat.

8. glasseye42

glasseye42 Junior Member

pt30

troymeister:

Thanks for the comments. Do you race your boat and if so do you find it competitive PHRF? I saw a rating of around 153? or so making it slower then a J30 but faster then many 30 footers.

Any glass problems (blisters)? Is it cored....hull....deck? I have had little luck finding info on this boat until now. Do you have any information on where it was built? Am I right about Plastrend and was it Fla.? Are any parts available anywhere or do you repair from general parts bins? Are you gas powered? The boat I am considering has NO engine in it so I assume it's gone and will need replacement. I think this boat may have been abandoned due to yard bill (I'm going to look into that) and I may have to work with the yard if purchase is even possible. I wanted to get some oinions on weather restoring this boat would be worth it....it's good to hear from owners who are happy. If purchase is possible it will have to be cheap enough to make restoration worth while. Thanks.

Glasseye

9. troymeister

troymeister New Member

Hello, Plastrend was built in Ft Worth TX. Company was owned by Ted Turner briefly. I believe they went out of business in 1973 roughly.

Not too many glass problems, no hull blistering. Biggest problem I have Is that much of the hardware was put on the deck before the deck was put on the boat. The nuts are burried by the head liner. So you have to take a small hole saw to get at the nuts where the stanchions are etc... The deck is cored with marine ply in some areas and foam in others. Always check for delamination and a wet core. Not sure what the hull is cored with.

Obviously if you were to purchase it, you would have to have it surveyed in order to insure it.

I haven't raced yet but I hope too this year. The PHRF rating is 159.

Restoration of any old boat is big bucks. Repowering is is pretty expensive.
    A new Yanmar 1gm10 is $5000 just for the engine. So it depends on how much time and money you have.

Over all I like having a unique boat, She sails great and is dry in heavy weather.

Again, If you want to restore, depends on your budget and how much time you have.

Good luck, Troy

10. danmont

danmont Junior Member

I wrote a lengthy reply to this but it didn't go through and I lost it. I have owned one of these boats for about 20 years. Email me and I can give you all a lot more details. I'll try to post the message again sometime.

Dan M.

11. troymeister

troymeister New Member

Most Interested

Hi Dan, I would be VERY much interested in what you have to say about your PT 30 MK2. I have only had mine about a year. Doing a lot to it.....Running lines aft, added roller furling, new 155% jib, rebedding hardware etc....

Hope to hear from you soon,

Troy

12. danmont

danmont Junior Member

PT-30 mk2

I may ramble here as I sent a large message last week but it didn’t go through and was lost, so I am quickly re-typing my thoughts now.

The PT-30 was considered at the time by some to be one of Britton Chance’s finest designs. I had heard years ago by an original PT-30 owner that Chance never was compensated properly by Plastrend for the design. The PT-30 was designed to the IOR Rule of the time, and the following year saw a revision to the IOR Rule, maybe that adversely affected the rating of the boat. At any rate, after 1973 Plastrend made superficial modifications to the design, adding a foot taller rig, a slightly deeper keel with 200 extra pounds ballast, bumping out the beam slightly and extending the stern two feet, and calling it the PT-32. It might have also had wheel steering but I’m not positive.

Plastrend was a very respected builder of one-design hulls based in Ft. Worth, Texas. They did not go out of business, but just changed their name to better reflect their type of business, and became known as “Composite Technology, Inc.” if my memory serves me right. I called them in the mid-1980s, and they agreed to send a copy of a sailplan blueprint for the PT-30 to my sailmaker.

I have owned one of these designs for about 20 years now (I’m the 3rd owner.) The boat can be phenomenal in light air going to windward especially, and will keep up with many larger boats. It is very close-winded. The foretriangle is HUGE for a boat this size, the “J” dimension is 13.6’, while the mainsail is tall and narrow. The base at the main boom is only 10.8’ if I remember correctly. Because of the size of the foretriangle, a 155% genoa jib is as large as a 170% genoa jib on most boats this length. For this reason, you have to shorten sail sooner than other boats, and gives this boat the reputation for being “tender”. When the boat is near upright, it has a very narrow waterline beam, which helps give it a low wetted surface area. Putting the crew on the low side rail in drifting conditions can help to droop the headsail and give it some shape, and you can get the boat moving when other boats seem becalmed. As the breeze picks up and the boat starts to heel, the flair outward from the waterline at the beam help the boat stiffen up.

The first production boats of this design tended to lose steering control when the boat heeled excessively due to too much of the rudder surface lifting out of the water. The “Mark II” design was merely the addition of a longer rudder to help alleviate the problem, which was done to all PT-30’s produced from what I was told.

One of the big plusses for me with the PT-30 was the 6’1” headroom below, as I am 6’4”. Because of the rather narrow waterline beam, the living area below is somewhat reduced in volume. The original Volvo Penta gasoline engines installed in the early PT-30s (my hull was number 13) were horribly problematic, and I finally replaced mine a few years back with a Yanmar diesel. My particular boat had a rather unique compass setup, it used a remote gimballed sensor up in the forepeak, and electric aviation style dial-type compass repeaters, one at the nav station and one each port and starboard. The rudder is externally mounted off the back of the transom, and is easily removed by pulling a long stainless steel pin. The keel has a distinct sweep back, not as efficient as more modern keel arrangements, but I think it provided the necessary lift and ballast without becoming too deep in the water, as the PT-30 only draws 5’6”. I also found the stock genoa primary and secondary winches to be underpowered, so I purchased a larger used pair of two-speed Barlow winches for the primaries, and moved the existing two-speed Barlows over to replace the original single-speed secondary winches. I also rerouted the main outhaul and the mainsail reefing lines internally on the boom.

The PT-30 is a terrific boat for getting into PHRF racing, as it is a rather inexpensive design for its speed rating and a lot of boat for the money.
    Anyone can contact me if they have questions they would like answered, and I'll be glad to relate as much as I can about the design.

13. glasseye42

glasseye42 Junior Member

Thanks to all of you for your comments. Now I have something to work from. I'm going to look into ownership on this boat and see if in fact it's available.

Thanks again.

Please note that the glasseye42 email address has been changed to paul-dolly@sbcglobal.net perhaps that was shy there was a problem getting through.

14. danmont

danmont Junior Member

This PT-30 would not happen to be in Michigan City sitting in a boatyard that can be seen from I-94 would it? If so, coincidentally my wife and I were driving home from vacation and saw this boat from the freeway. (This must have been 10 years ago or so.) We recognized the design, and took the exit and drove over to see it. We almost got ourselves locked behind an electric gate after we drove into the boatyard.

15. glasseye42

glasseye42 Junior Member

Pt30 Mk2

Greetings:

This boat is in Michigan City but NOT at the yard visible from I94. I know that yard but don't remember a PT30 in there although it's possible. This boat is in a yard in town nearer the lake. My son in law has been aboard the boat....says it has no engine.....mast and boom are there on deck. Would have to be had VERY VERY cheaply to make restoration worth while as it would need lots of rigging work and an engine plus cosmetics. Hull looks OK at first blush but I am not a surveyor. I'm assuming this is not a boat with high buyer demand as so few people are aware of them so one would need to be careful about over investment. I'm still going to look into it.

Thanks for your comments .

Paul Marshall

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.