Pt 30 Mk2

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by glasseye42, Mar 21, 2005.

1. FrancisG

FrancisG New Member

Pt 30

I have just discovered this link ! As anyone aware of the PT30, there is very little information available about the boat. I have owned one for the past 4 years and sail in windy San Francisco bay. The boat is very fast for its age and as long as the headsails are reduced the boat will maintain speed. Keep it upright is best for speed. The boat is a great sailer, easy to maintain - ie. no exterior wood, with simple accomodations. Engine access is pretty good but i had to replace the fuel tank. The large cockpit makes it very comfortable for day sails and racing but the traveler gets in the way. The boat tends to be wet in the chop. I sail with 110% mylar sail and 1 one reef in the main and the boat handles great.
    I once called Brit Chance (now retired) and living in Essex CT, he provided very little information on the boat, other than it was initially designed for the Gulf coast region. The boat was designed for the ligther wind conditions than what i encounter. The rig is double spreader arrangement with discontinuous upper and lower shrouds. I have not tried flyng the spinnaker, but can only suspect it would be very "squirely" because of the narrow beam and pinched stern. interior accomodations are fine for 2 or 3 people for short cruises. In a few words this is a very nice sailiing boat with easy maintenance (i used to owne a Cal 40 for about 10yrs...)

2. Applnokr

Applnokr New Member

Pt 30

Hi - I grew up sailing a PT 30 on Lake St Clair. I am sorry to say I just typed up an detailed relation of my experience with the PT 30 beginning with its first seller in Mich: Lee Tout (America's Cup Skipper) who dusted everyone to our winning of the 1972 Pt Huron to Mackinac (Njord), spring series championship of North Star Sail Club (NSSC) to beginning a 60 mile race in light air that found us 25 miles ahead of the rest of the fleet who was only 10 miles off the starting line only to have the wind come up behind us and bring the entire fleet down to us before it arrived! Unfortunately I was not logged in and when I went to post my message, I got an error code that I was "pursuing an invalid thread - advise webmaster". Well, I spent 1/2 hr writing it up and won't turn right around and do so again. Maybe later. I can say that the PT 30 was an unbeatable light air design. It could hold its own in heavy air (1972 leg 2 from Tobermory light to the Mackinac finish line in less than 12 hrs staying with a Pierson 42 and other 40+ ft boats who went mad trying to get away from our 30 ft boat - nearly submarining on the back side of the larger waves - hitting 12 knots - we had a spinnaker with a bald headed Schnitzel and a medium genoa in between)

3. Applnokr

Applnokr New Member

Pt 30

Clarification: We won Division E in the 1972 Pt Huron to Mackinac and 17th overall. We soundly beat a Morgan 30 II with an all professional crew and beat several 40+ ft boats - boat for boat though they had to give us time.

Applnokr@aol.com

4. AYACHT

AYACHT Junior Member

Now thats a name not heard for years "Lee Tout" I raced against him on my dads Grampian 30 "Eventry" Boy that was the good old days!

5. Semper Fi

Semper Fi New Member

Original brochures on Pt-30 for those interested.

I just purchased a PT-30 last month. The seller gave me all the original
    brochures and I would be happy to fax them to you if anyone is interested. I have to be honest. I know nothing about sailing and bought the boat only to live aboard while I attend school. The boat itself is in almost perfect condition. The owner before me had her for 20 years, and it is obvious that he loved the boat from how well she was kept. I already love it also. Let me know if anyone is interested in the brochures. The boat is a 1972 Mk II.

6. troymeister

troymeister New Member

I am very much interested. I sent you a private message with fax#.

Thanks, Troy

7. ianwilson

ianwilson New Member

PT 30 Mk 11

I read the article on the PT 30 with interest. I own a Mk 11 hull no,34, last winter my main boom was stolen from the mast rack at the YC. I tried to contact the successor to Plastrend, as stated " Composite Technolgy Inc." TX, but the President claims they were never part of Plastrend,they in fact make helicopter rotor blades.

8. robladd

robladd New Member

Rob Ladd

In 1974 I sailed as navigator aboard a PT 32 in the North American 3/4 Ton Championship in Newport, RI. We had a good crew and finished a very close second in the regatta with a notable finish in the long distance race beating out next competitor by 13 hours. In the third race in heavy air, we suffered extensive sail damage to our all of our headsails and finished poorly. That race cost us the championship. The boat was lightly built and fairly tender, but in the right hands would show good speed. The PT 32 was a PT 30 lengthened aft beyond the after girth station as defined by IOR. While some other boats tried this like the Tartan 41, the extension on the PT 32 actually did make the boat a bit faster than a PT 30 in most conditions. Cheers, Rob Ladd

9. danmont

danmont Junior Member

Pt 30

Amazing... what a small world. My PT-30 is named "Destiny" which was the ex-"Beverly M" which was the ex-"Njord", the same boat you raced on, hull #13.

I wish I could remember the contact person out at "Composite Technology" in Texas that sent me the sail plan for the PT-30. Maybe he was just formerly associated with Plastrend.

The hull is built extremely strong. There is no core, it is solid fiberglass, fairly thick, and huge transverse steel stringers are bonded into the hull from the keel to spread the load.

Very rewarding to sail, because of the huge foretriangle the spinnaker is very large, but you have to pay attention to trim or you can broach if you are not paying attention.

Dan M.

10. paulm1

paulm1 Junior Member

Pt-32

I have found a PT-32 for sale. I would like to find out as much information as I can before committing myself. After reading the posts, it sounds like we are all in the same boat, so to speak. Does anyone have any specs for the PT-32? I have the most basic specs. What I need is the LWL. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks
    Paul

11. ianwilson

ianwilson New Member

PT 30 Mk 11, SPECS

Hi Paul
    I have some basic specs I can send you, but I don't know how to send the attachment through the post system, please send me your E- mail address.
    Ian

12. danmont

danmont Junior Member

I remember going to the University library years ago and browsing the old copies of "Sailing World" magazine, which was called something else back then, "Sailboat Racing" or something like that and there were a few ads for the designs

13. glasseye42

glasseye42 Junior Member

PT30 Mk2

I would very much like to have copies of the brochures.

We too have a Mkll. It needs an engine ....none in it as purchased. I think it had a gas Volvo Penta. Does anyone know what will fit on those mounts?.....gas or diesel. Has anyone rigged the boat to use ourboard power? External rudder might make this an interesting challenge. We would prefer for cost reasons to use a used inboard engine if one can be found that will fit ....rather than buy new. Anyone out there have any ideas?

glasseye42

14. Semper Fi

Semper Fi New Member

MY PT-30 is for sale.

It's in great shape. I have finished school and no longer need it. I will entertain
    all reasonable offers. My e mail is keithj05@yahoo.com

15. jaunio

jaunio New Member

pt30

I have a pt3o for sale. as is where is. yanmar 2gm diesel, mast is down, on hard for last 6 months, was in water. will email pics. 3k obo s.e. michigan 810-333-1356 Boat must go NOW!!!!!!!!!! 5-16-2008

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.