Pointing ability: hull vs rig

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by Seafarer24, Nov 13, 2008.

1. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

An interesting case study here might be found in Ilan Gonen's "Omer" wingsail prototype- based on an Elan 37. (His site: http://www.omerwingsail.com/ )

The thing can reportedly tack through a hair over 40 degrees- yes, it sails 20 degrees off the wind. With the Bermuda rig found on the standard Elan, it reportedly points at around 40 degrees off the wind.

While there are a number of other engineering issues involved in this type of rig, it does make a convincing case that, for a given hull, the balance of lift and drag on the rig can make an enormous difference in windward ability. (And downwind, for that matter: This is not the first boat to demonstrate vastly better performance with a rig that can generate some lift downwind, instead of pure drag.)

Now, whether or not such pointing ability is really necessary is another matter. I like the idea of being able to point 30 or 40 degrees off the wind if an engine craps out while trying to claw off a lee shore. But everyone I've talked to who has spent time sailing hard upwind, seems to be of the opinion that unless you're racing, the punishment on the crew isn't worth it. Better, some say, to bear off a little, reduce your speed to windward, but calm the motion enough for the off watch to actually sleep.

There's also the issue of the tremendous cost and complexity that comes with all the extra gear we create to point a few degrees higher. Would you pay $12,000 extra for airfoil-shaped shrouds to reduce upwind drag? I wouldn't. In the name of windward ability, we've created rigs that need nine or ten lines to control two sails. For racing, sure. But for cruising, is all the extra complexity (and more stuff to break) really worth it?

2. brian eiland

brian eiland Senior Member

Interesting contribution Eric. I'd like to see that as well.

3. ancient kayaker

ancient kayaker aka Terry Haines

T22: You're correct of course: I was factoring leeway into the heading instead of the course.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.