pocket cruiser modifications?

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by rapscallion, Jan 10, 2007.

1. rapscallion

rapscallion Senior Member

I was thinking about modifying an existing lower performance cruiser for club racing. I want a boat with a nice cabin and ok sailing characteristics. It would be for an inland lake with some shallow areas so draft is an issue.

I was thinking about starting with a fixed keel hunter 22, (cheap) and fitting a retractable bulb keel with a 5' draft. I think this should save me almost 800lbs of ballast when compairing this configuration with the swing keel model. I also wanted to shave off some more weight by opening up the transom. Then I wanted to add a foot or two to the waterline, and move the backstay back so I can get more roach on the main and start using a non overlapping jib at the proper 7 degree sheeting angle. With the mast head rig fitting a mast head asym on a sprit should also work.

My question is what kind of performance could be expected? How would I estimate that boat's performance?

2. lewisboats

lewisboats Obsessed Member

Not to burst your bubble or anything but you are talking about major messing with the centers on this boat. You should talk to a naval Architect or yacht designer about your modifications. You could end up with a totally uncontrollable boat, with either too much weather helm or a lee helm, along with structural issues.

Steve

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.