Plas Trend PT40

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by mcollins07, Mar 24, 2006.

1. mcollins07

mcollins07 Senior Member

Anyone with experience on the Plastrend PT40? Does anyone have information about the designer Bob Direktor? I believe he is the designer of the Plastrend PT40. I believe Plastrend build boats in texas in the 1960's - 1970's.

Michael

2. Tad

Tad Boat Designer

Michael,

Robert E. Derecktor Inc. was the owner of several shipyards on the East Coast, he, "Bob Derecktor" also raced sailboats, mostly of his own design and construction, or done in collaboration with others. The Company still exists and has three yards in New York, Connecticut, and Florida.

Plastrend was a major builder of Olympic Class sailing boats, FD, Soling, Finn, Tempest, and 420's. I believe they built very few large boats. In 1970 their ad states they were a division of Turner Communications Corp, by 1973 they were a division of the Dan Ray Corp? Both ads give addresses in Fort Worth.

If you are looking at the boat on Yachtworld I would suggest a tiny offer or run the other way. The fiberglass imbedded SS rod construction sounds like a recipe for disaster, but it would be impossible to tell for sure without destroying the boat. Much better to invest in a known quantity like a Cal 39 or 40 from a similar year.

All the best, Tad

1 person likes this.
  3. mcollins07

mcollins07 Senior Member

Thanks Tad

Thanks for your response.

I did look at the Plas Trend advertised in yachtworld. It was in very bad condition. Not a serious consideration for me. If anyone would like info before traveling to view it, let me know.

4. marjae

marjae New Member

Notes on Plastrend (PT) boats

Plastrend PT boats are famous for speed and toughness.

Built by Composite Technologies of Ft. Worth
    Designed by Britton Chance

PT 22 1/4 ton - Won regionals, nationals and placed in worlds

PT 32 1 ton - Won regional, nationals - only 32' to ever compete/win at 1 ton level. Considered indestructible. Only problem was windows leaked like a sieve.

PT 40 - lengthened version of PT 32, new rudder config. Also considered indestructible. Horrible interior layout, but fantastic sailing vessel.

For you experts in boat design, these boats were years ahead in design and innovation and there are no recorded failures in any of the designs features, with the exception of interior comfort.

Jay

5. sonosail

sonosail SONOSAIL

Plastrend 40

I'm fairly sure the PLAS TREND 40 is a Robert Derecktor design. A production version of VAMOOSE (CCA or early IOR). I'm not sure how many were built. Probably not many. The were probably molded at Composite Technology (Plas trend) factory and finished by Derecktor himself at his yard in New York.
    Just thought I'd chime in on this one. I have an interest in these older obscure production boats.

rb

6. sonosail

sonosail SONOSAIL

whoops. I can see someone already knew that. sorry. I having quite got that hang of posting on this thing.
    rb

7. mitch hall

mitch hall New Member

8. Chris Ostlind

Chris Ostlind Previous Member

Wow! Two dudes making their very first posts on the forum and both of them from Florida. That's serendipity for ya.

Welcome gents.

Hope you chime in here more frequently, as it looks like you have some interesting resources to offer.

9. Re Vamp

Re Vamp New Member

Re Vamp

I bought the PT-40 that was for sale in CT last year. The boat ROCKS!!! In no wind, the boat makes it's own. In 25 knots, gusting to 30 the boat goes nearly straight upwind and through a 3-4' Long Island Sound Chop, without getting knocked down a bit; with no reefs in the low aspect rig! In Block Island Sound, outside of Newport, RI the day after Hurricane Earl passed, Vamp went up and over the 7-8 footers rolling in from the south west, in 20-30knots of wind like a dream, and after tacking back around, surfed right on down back into the Bay at about 7-8 knots, with 2 reefs in the main, and about a 95% jib.
    Eat your heart out to anyone who listened to Tadd's totally bogus info above!!! But then again, anyone who listens to a N.A. that lays out a "trawler yacht" to go through the water like a SNOW PLOW (see photo inset), doesn't deserve to run a boat like the PT-40 anyway!!! I hope plow sales are up now that it is November! :p

10. sonosail

sonosail SONOSAIL

Pt-40

If that's the one that was at Norwalk Cove Marine, I actually had a look at it my self, and it certainly seemed pretty solid. (I don't claim to be an expert in these things at all), but it just made me think about what a 'racing' boat, was THEN, vs. now. One of the more notable differences is with the rig. who knows. This might have even seemed 'risky' at that time. THEN, of course, a racing boat had to stand up to the conditions you describe. For better or worse, we don't have those type of events for which these boats were built any more.
    Although I think you you have a bit unfair to a person that was simply offering an opinon about a certain aspect of how the boat may have been built. Assuming everything checked out ok, I think that what you have is a great boat, as well as a part of yacht racing history. Best of luck with it.

rb

11. Tad

Tad Boat Designer

I don't have a clue what reason you might have for this attack.....but seeing you got my name wrong, your description of Liberty ("trawler yacht") wrong, and you are completely mistaken in terming my factual information concerning Plastrend and Derecktor as "bogus", I won't take it too seriously.

I also expressed a professional opinion on the construction method and value of your boat.....that opinion is worth what you paid for it.......I did not say anything about how the boat sails....I know nothing about that....I guess we would all get along great and trolls would have nothing to post about if we all had the same opinion.......I'm glad you got a boat that makes you happy, and I'm glad Vamp has an owner who cares about her and uses her......my opinion on her structure stands.......

1 person likes this.

12. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

When I was a kid I sailed as crew on a PT 40 and she was the local regatta champ. I remember her as a great boat. One of the best in her generation.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.