Peterson 34

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by Cliff Ruckstuhl, Mar 10, 2005.

1. Cliff Ruckstuhl

Cliff Ruckstuhl Junior Member

I am looking to buy a 1979 Peterson 34 designed by Doug Peterson. I am not able to find any info on the boat and wanted to know of anybody was familiar with the boat? I know they made about 92 boats and that they were made in Texas. Any info some one could supply I would really appreciate.

Thanks Cliff Ruckstuhl

2. Paul B

Paul B Previous Member

I know a bit about them, sailed on a couple, built the spar for one, and later worked for the designer.

They were built in Texas by a company called Composite Technology. They were about the same size as a 3/4 Tonner of the time, but with less IOR bumping they rated much higher, about a foot under the One Tonners. The stern was definitly less of a pintail than the pure IOR designs of the time, so it wasn't as squirrely downwind in a breeze. A couple of them remained at the top of their class for a lot of years locally. I think a '79 must have been near the end of the production run.

As time went by we found that adding to the boom length was a key change to getting the boat to really sail well. The original was just over 11 feet, I think. Hopefully the boat you are looking at has had this mod.

I don't think CT was the best builder out there, finish work wise. But the boats seemed to have held up pretty well over the years. I've never heard of any real structural problems with them, but I haven't looked at one up close in more than 10 years.

Hopefully you're getting a real good deal on one of these old warhorses.

3. Cliff Ruckstuhl

Thanks for replying, ther are 3 for sale that we are going to look at I am not sure of the hull # but could find out. We are going to look at one on Lake St.Clair on Sat and the other 2 are over by Chicago. The one we are going to see from what I can tell looks to be in pretty good shape all the boat's are under $25K with the one we are going to see Sat listed for $25K. One other is listed for $19K. The boat we are seeing Sat has been owned by a guy who bought it to race 5 year's ago but never did. He started having a family and thing's for him changed. It has a pretty good sail inventory but nothing newer but allot of sail's.

From what I can tell they are close to being 50% ballest to Displacment and with this would it be fair to say they are a very stiff boat? We will be doing about 4 to 5 regatta's a year and will work to ge the boat ready for the Port Huron to Macaknaw race next season. The rest of the time it will be our boat for crusing and doing our 2 week vaction. I am sure the boat will need up dating and redoing the interior will also be on the list. The P 34 has all the features I wanted and looks to have a nice volume interior.

Can you suggest any places I should pay close attention to and also on the up graded boom length was this something that was put into as a production change or somehting owners needed to do on the own?

Thanks SO much it has been tough finding info on the boat any suggestion's on where to look?

Cliff

4. Paul B

Paul B Previous Member

I couldn't tell you any more by knowing the hull number. I think $25K sounds steep, it sure seems like a buyer's market out there these days. Even $19K might be really negotiable.

I'm sure all 25+ year old racing boats have lots of sails. Most are probably good for cruising. Doubtful many are good for competitive racing. I wouldn't add to the offer because it has a big inventory of near-worthless sails.

I wouldn't say this design is significantly stiffer than other of her type and vintage. The IOR rule had a steep penalty for excess stability. However, it would be more stable than some other types of boats from that time. Sure isn't "tender". Some post-IOR designs of the same size, like a J35, will be stiffer.

Should make a nice weekender and club racer.

Boom length increase would have been aftermarket.

Get a good survey.

Check all the usual suspects for old raceboats. Bulkhead rot, bulkhead bonding, rig (especially things like spreader tips where corrosion between the steel rigging and aluminum tips really can get going), mast base corrosion, keel bolts. If the original hydraulics are still there they will probably be toast.

5. Cliff Ruckstuhl

Tender compared to

Looking at the number's and comparing it to the boat we just sold a Hunter 28.5 is what I have to compare it to. Hunter Displacment is 7000 lbs with 3000 lbs being ballest and cast iron. So this would be our judge of tenderness to compare it to. Some have said that the Hunter boats tend to be tender but with good sail's we never thought it was.

The local boat seems to have been well cared for and up dated plus it's location to us Lake StClair we are on Lake Erie and the other on Lake Michigan by Chicago would make the local boat more attractive. But we will see.

I have been told the hydraulics don't work on the local boat. We had been thinking about buying another Hunter the 34 until I came across the P 34. I would think the P 34 would be the better sailing boat over the H 34 and the P 34 has more of the stuff I want. Tiller & traveler location where some thing's I really wanted.

After my wife and I look at the boat and if it checks out we are going to schedule the survey and proceed.

One last question and I thank you so much for your input. The boats draw 6' 3" and with Lake Erie going up and down and we are up 17" over last year we do not have a problem on the lake but do in the docking area. Some Marinas will not take a boat thet draws much over 5 foot. I do not see this as a problem this year with the lake being up but in the future might be different. How would it effect the boat to cut 8 inches off the bottom of the keel and install a Bulb to put the ballest cut off back on? Also do you remember how much was added to the boom length? I assume you just had a new boom made to a longer length.

Thanks Again

Cliff

6. Paul B

Paul B Previous Member

I think you will be very happy with the stability of the P34 across a wide range compared with the Hunter.

I think you will fiund the P34 sails much, much better than the H34. The H34 might have a bit more room below.

I would not cut the keel off. Then again, I don't have any water problems out here. Cutting the keel off is going to really hurt the upwind ability. You need all the span you can get. If you cut off 8" and then add a bulb, keeping the 8" less draft, then you will effectively reduce the span even more.

This should be a last resort solution.

Everyone did them differently. They were all playing with their IOR ratings against the local conditions. Personally, I would make the boom as long as possible without hitting the backstay too much with the roach of the main. Probably add 20% to the length or so. Talk to your sailmaker about it.

One guy had a new boom built because he broke it. Others simply had extensions welded onto the back end to get the extra length. The boom on my current boat has a welded on extension. You might not be able to find the correct section to add on with now, since those extrusions were from 25 - 30 years ago. Probably a Stearns or Superspar rig in the boat, if original. Those guys have been out of business for almost 25 years. Might be a Sparcraft, but they are gone as well.

7. Cliff Ruckstuhl

Paul,

We went and looked the P 34 today and really liked what we saw. Boat was in as I expected condition with old gear and old running rigging. Giving the boat a re-fit and up dating everything would be high on our list. The whole interior needs sanded and varnished. Plus a new teak and holly floor. It would be safe to say it needs a total refit to bring it to current standards and allot of deck gear could come off. Ther are 7 cabin top winches and I think taking off 5 of them and installing rope clutches would take care of that. Not to mention all the non skid paint has been rubbed off in places and the whole deck is going to need repainted. I think if the boat can be bought right and I am thinking around $15K for it we could, after allot of work have a very nice and competitive boat.

It did not have the modified boom, and I did see some blister's but this is stuff I was expecting. I was also expecting to see some leaking windows and also see that the verneer on the cabin wood on the inside was going to need replaced. As long as the boat structure comes back in good shape we will go ahead with the purchase of the boat.

Thanks for your help and advise.

Cliff

8. carlg

carlg Junior Member

I'd go for the Peterson. I raced on one in the early 80's in St. Joe Michigan and had a ball. Over time the same crew raced on a C&C 35, a Pearson 30 and the P34. We cleaned up with the Peterson doing very well in the local Wednesday night and weekend races and in the Tri-State race. Finished third in our division in the only Chicago to Mac that we raced. IIRC it was hull number one.

You'll enjoy the Peterson.

9. Cliff Ruckstuhl

Carl G

Thanks for the reply, We really like the boat and it looks like it will fit our needs very well.

Cliff

10. Cliff Ruckstuhl

P 34 and a grounding

I still have not bought the P 34 have a small problem of not wanting to be a 2 boat owner. (Wife would kill me) But the boat is still for sale. Owner had a offer on the boat and surveyed. Survey found the boat had been grounded hard and has cracks aft of the keel and is now causing blister's. This is a solid glass hull and I wonder if the boat can be bought real cheap and open up the cracks with a drummel tool and just Epoxy them and fair it all out?

Any ideas on what the long term effect this could have? Survey did not show any structure issues just that ther were allot of blister's and that the cracks were going to cause blister's. Plus some wet spots were found in the deck. This I am not too worred about since it can be repaired from below. I know it is an old war horse race boat and I am looking to move up from a Hunter 28.5. We wanted something bigger and the P 34 has all the features I want.

Cliff

11. Mike H.

Mike H. New Member

I have a Barberis Show 34. It is the equivalent of a Peterson 34. If you still need information let me know.

12. woudaboy

woudaboy Junior Member

Builder in Texas

I believe the father of the people running Hayes Rigging in Kemah, Texas were the builders of the Peterson 34 and 25's you were looking for.