Performance and Vintage Sailboats

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by peterny32, Mar 10, 2006.

1. peterny32

peterny32 New Member

I own a 1936 S&S New York 32, which has a keel hung rudder, and I had the following question...

I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on the value of adding a fairing piece(10 oz. fiberglass strip about 4" wide 8' long) between the aft edge of the hull(sternpost) and the front edge of the rudder. Would this reduce turbulence and drag?

Also the trailing edge of this type of rudder should it be as thin as possible?

Peter

2. usa2

usa2 Senior Member

The fairing piece may reduce turbulence and/or drag to a certain degree, but you've got a fast boat either way, and it probably would not make a measureable difference.
    All the classic boat rudders i have seen are not really tapered at all on the trailing edge, rather they either leave it completely alone and its just cut off abruptly, or the trailing edge is rounded a little.

3. RHough

RHough Retro Dude

amen, not to mention pretty. Fast and Pretty is combination we don't see often enough. :)

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.