Parts Question...

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by CSmith1128, Jun 20, 2005.

1. CSmith1128

CSmith1128 New Member

I have a 14 inch sailboat that I would like to fix up for my dad. It doesn't have a mast or a sail to it and i think it needs a few other parts as well...

I don't know what kind of sailboat it is. Does that matter?

Also, does anyone know where I could buy a sail and mast for this boat as well as other parts I may need? (Mainly the sail and mast for now)

Thanks,
    Chris

2. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

At 14" I'd suspect that a reasonably scale sized dowel, shaped down with some sand paper will do. If this is a typo and feet are in order then it would be nice to have the make and model, which would make parts selection much easier. A lot of boats have their dimensions available in data bases, which sail makers use to save time. Without the make and model you'll need to have a rig designed for the boat, which isn't hard, but will be more costly then buying parts for a known craft. There are quite a few pieces associated with even a very simple rig (booms, tackle, tangs and other attachment hardware, etc.) so it would be good advise to look over every sq. inch of this little vessel to find any builder's plate or other identification. If you strike out there, posting a few good picture can be of great help. There is also a boat identifier site available on line that gives a brief description and an outline of the boat. This could be of some help, but I can't remember the address, maybe someone can chime in and offer it up. If the boat has been built after the early 70's then there will be a "HIN" number carved or stamped into the upper right corner of the transom, or well aft on the starboard side of a double ended boat. There may also be a state registration number on the hull (block letters on both sides of the bow) In your state the number will start with NJ (go figure) though many states don't require registration of motorless craft under 16', but it's worth a shot. Also, if there is a title, it will have the make and model (sometimes) and can be of some assistance. Look around and see what you find, then get back to us. Pictures will usually turn up a previous owner or two with a similar model.

3. mholguin

mholguin Junior Member

If you are talking about a rc sailboat, get some pics and go to ttp://www.rcsailing.net/forum1 , You'll get some help there.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.