Old Quarter Tonners -Magic Bus

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by steveo-nz, Oct 5, 2008.

1. Gary Baigent

Gary Baigent Senior Member

Quarter Ton '78, '81.

Attached Files:

2. Paul B

Paul B Previous Member

OK, I have a couple of the holes filled. What about the rest?

3. Gary Baigent

Gary Baigent Senior Member

Salkbj, since the Drakkar image is just one of many ripouts, there is not date or number, just that I had written in pen Drakkar 3/4TC on the back ... but I'm guessing it was in the Bateaux 230 -240 period, or maybe a little earlier. It was a colour shot taken before the 1977 Threequarter TC.
    But if I remember correctly, there were two Drakkars at that year's cup - so maybe the same boat.
    Paul, I'll keep looking. Cheers.

4. salkbj

salkbj Junior Member

I'll flip through all my 75-77 French magazines when I find the time. I agree it's probably a Berret, Mauric or Joubert and most likely from 1975, although there is a French Peterson 3/4ton one off from 76 that I do not yet have pictures of.
    The crushing victory of Norlin's "Accent" at the QTC-74 made all French designers follow the big, high cp concept for the 75 season and this one looks just like them. Non of them where particularly fast. Before "Accent", the French where mostly inspired by the Soling type hull shape. Of course, 1975 there would be a new role model, "45 South" :) although those who had seen "Robber" saw nothing new.
    Sorry I'm not able to provide illustrations at the moment.

5. salkbj

salkbj Junior Member

QT Cup
    1971 Tequila (Harlé)
    1983 Not contested
    1990 Ave-Alta Velocidad RENFE (Pepin Gonzales)
    1992 Jonathan VI exGen Mar(3) (Alessando Vismara)

3/4 Ton Cup

1987 Jelfi-X (Jeppesen X-3/4mkII )
    1993 Xacobeo'93 exLarios (Jeppesen one off)
    1994 Galicia Candide exLarios (Jeppesen one off)

One Ton

1982 Not contested

2 Ton

1977 Not contested
    1978 Iorana IV (Holland)
    1980 Not contested

6. Richard 4073

Richard 4073 Junior Member

Here's that article I mentioned on the 1983 Half Ton Cup, and includes a small section on the Threequarter Ton Cup too.

Paul, I'm trying to help with completion of the winners list but some tricky ones there! I have a copy of a published One Ton Cup winners list which confirms that the 1982 series, scheduled to be held in Brighton, was wiped. The UK Quarter Ton class website (www.quartertonclass.org) has a winners list which would provide the answer for 1983, but the link seem to be corrupted at the moment. I know Decosol was around in 1987, perhaps the 3/4 Cup winner that year? (not sure of the design - Humphreys?)

Attached Files:

7. Richard 4073

Richard 4073 Junior Member

Ahh, I see Salkbj has come through with the answers!

8. Paul B

Paul B Previous Member

I am very close to finishing. After I get this 3/4 ton stuff cleared up I will post the document.

9. salkbj

salkbj Junior Member

QT Cup
    1971 Tequila (Harlé)
    1983 Not contested
    1990 Ave-Alta Velocidad RENFE (Pepin Gonzales)
    1992 Jonathan VI exGen Mar(3) (Alessando Vismara-90) I think maybe it was Jonothan before it was Gen-Mar? Gen Mar won the next year.
    1993 Gen Mar(4) (Vismara-92)

3/4 Ton Cup

1981 Soldier Blue (Jeppesen X-102)
    1982 Lille Du (Jeppesen X-102)

1987 Jelfi-X (Jeppesen X-3/4mkII )
    1990 Lone (Farr)
    1991 Lone (Farr)
    1992 Xacobeo Galicia exLone (Farr)

1993 Xacobeo'93 exLarios (Jeppesen one off) I show Xacobeo as ex-Lone and winning in '92?
    1994 Galicia Candide exLarios (Jeppesen one off)
    1990-94 with Pedro Campos at the helm.

Also, I know Jeppeson boats (X 102s) won in '81 and '82, but I don't have the names

One Ton

1982 Not contested Brighton GBR. Only 8 entered.

2 Ton

1977 Not contested Halifax CAN
    1978 Iorana IV (Holland) I knew this. Don't know why it was't on the sheet.
    1980 Not contested It was decided to hold the TTC only AC years and somewhere in the channel.

10. Paul B

Paul B Previous Member

OK. Here's the spreadsheet. All winners/designers are now identified. Locations, crews, and other information is welcome to complete the document.

Attached Files:

11. salkbj

salkbj Junior Member

Pay attention to the spelling. It is Finn Fire II...Solent Saracen(3)...Maligawa IV...Regnbågen(1), Lille Du, not Lille Due.... and Botta Dritta III...and Green Piece'85(X-3/4mkII)...and Indulgence V...and Okyalos IIX(X-3/4mkIIcarb) resp. Okyalos IX(X-3/4mkII full carb)

Number within brackets=not part of the actual name but still part of sequence

1975 TQTC: Amoress II(Norlin) 3rd, easily fastest, doing Horizon Job on the fleet which cost them dearly after missing the navigation. Sisterboat Amoress I with not as good crew, 2x2nd 3x dnf,broken tiller,sea sickness!!!.
    1979 TQTC: One of the largest fleets ever, 39 boats, 8 Nations, only three from outside Baltic region, GBR and NED, all Jones boat, the NED boat with the name "Helluva *******"
    Only two boats finished last long offshore after the Fastnet Storm came sweeping in over Denmark.

Miami,Hankø,Plymouth,La Rochelle,Victoria,Hundested,La Trinité,Helsinki,Dénia,Trieste,Kiel,Marstrand,Torquay,Nieuwpoort,Marciana Marina,Pireus,Flensburg,Rungsted,Bayona,Palma,Santa Ponsa

Ib Ussing-Andersen(DEN) instrumental in TQT81,82,88(2nd),90,91,92

12. Paul B

Paul B Previous Member

Thank you for all the input. I'm updating things as best I can from magazines, books, and internet searches. Input from people like you really help to fill things out.

13. salkbj

salkbj Junior Member

Doing the same thing but from an European perspective. I can tell you, I'm pretty lost when it comes to the Pacific scene :) My hazzle is all those bloody languages ;-)

1 Solent Saracen(3) 4, 3, 3, 9, 1 John MacCarthy/
    2 Golden Delicious 2,14, 5, 6, 2 Ron Holland/
    3 Amoress II 1, 5,*12, 1, 3 /Lars Andersson/ brother
    4 Peticache 3, 6, 9, 10, 4 Dick Carter/Stanley Keen/
    17 Amoress I dnf,2,dnf,2,dnf /Bo Andersson/ brother

Easy, "Lone" was commissioned by a Dane, Jan Bonde-Nielsen, living in Spain. A funny story; TQTC-90, Flensburg, had the offshore races into Danish water. The owner stayed ashore in those races as the Danish tax-man was under the illusion he had brought a bit to much money down to Spain ;-) It was all over the tabloids.
    88 he came second with Larios(helming), a Spanish Jeppesen one off, beaten by a X-3/4 carbon, with the X-Yachts team (Soderlund/Jeppesen/Dittmar). However, there is always something, this time "bad luck" with calms.
    I think Ib Ussing-Andersen was more of a Diamond Sails guy, eventually running the Spanish loft.

14. Paul B

Paul B Previous Member

OK, I am updating the sheet with all this info you are providing.

Yes, Ib was Diamond Sails. Everything I ever saw about Ton Cups or Admiral's Cup mentioning Diamond Sails were on X Boats. That's why I was surprised to see him mentioned with some other project not X.

15. salkbj

salkbj Junior Member

Diamond had by the end of the 80's a North-style grip on the market all across Europe.
    So, naturally sold it all to North providing a good customer stock for those new one-piece moulded sails.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.