Old Quarter Tonners -Magic Bus

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by steveo-nz, Oct 5, 2008.

1. Paul B

Paul B Previous Member

Time Out is Great White, re-named. It is a Peterson, not a Farr.

Just in front of the rudder you can see where the skeg has been removed. I guess at some point someone decided to "PHRF-ize" it by removing the extra wetted area of the skeg.

The "bump" you see at the AIGS looks like it is being accentuated by the hull being distorted from too many years on the trailer. The aft end of the bunk seems to be pushing the hull in (look at the woop in the waterline stripe back there). This can be fixed with the addition of a small frame in that area after you pop the hull back into shape.

2. Paul B

Paul B Previous Member

Yeah, if you go back through this thread we have talked about this at least once before.

Production Mini Tonners rated around 222 in PHRF SoCal, same as the Cal 25. These included the Ranger 22, the Santana 20, Lindenberg 22, etc. The custom boats were faster. I imagine in daggerboard trim the Great White would have been 216, 213ish? This was a big Mini, 23 feet long.

The old MORC boats like Lizzie were much nicer sailing boats than IOR boats, so it makes sense for them to still be going strong.

3. Mkf

Mkf New Member

Afternoon, does anyone know where Magic Bus currently is?

And what shape?

Many thanks

4. Richard 4073

Richard 4073 Junior Member

5. Paul B

Paul B Previous Member

Alameda is in SF Bay. Last I heard the Bus was still there and was being restored. That was sometime last year.

6. dan catalyst

dan catalyst Junior Member

I now own the Meyers mini-ton 'Great White', and a letter from Paul Lindenberg which states that this boat was the proto for the L22 and he bought it from or sold it to the Meyers in '77. i have a survey from 1985 where my hin# is still called 'Great White', then renamed 'excaliber' and like 4 other names but not to worry,she is having a return to original name ceremony next Thursday at the YC.
    p.s. I dont think there are any pics with her original name,but if anyone remembers colors or anything at all, please share! thanks

7. dan catalyst

8. salkbj

salkbj Junior Member

1 USA ?????, 3, 1, 2, 1, “Heatwave”, Kirby-??,Mystic 22 Bruce Kirby/
    2 USA ?????, 4, 4, 1, 6, “Fire Ant”, Lindenburg -??,Lindenburg 22 cb Tom Horne/
    3 USA ?????, 1, 2, 5, 3, “Sweet Thing”, Irwin-??, Mike Robertson/
    4 USA ?????, 2, 5, 4, 2, “Closer to the Edge”, Rodgers-??, O H Rodgers/
    5 USA ?????, 5, 3, 3, 5, ”Magic Hammer”, Lindenburg -??,Lindenburg 22 cb Paul Lindenburg/
    ? USA ?????, ?, ?, ?, ?, ”Great White”, Lindenburg -??, cb Whitey Meyers/
    Source: magazine Yachting ?/78 (don't remember which issue)

9. Paul B

Paul B Previous Member

The Mystic Mini Ton looked a lot like the Irwin boat (brochure attached). I don't think they sold many of either, probably less than 10. In those days they were not only good for IOR Mini Ton racing, but those types were also quite competitive under MORC. Then the MORC rule changed around '79.

The L22 was not a Paul Lindenberg design. It was a Bruce Kelley design, built by Lindenberg.

All the boats listed (except OH's boat that I don't recall) were CBers.

The next year Kelley produced the custom Mr. Bill's Dog. That pretty much made all the boats listed obsolete in the IOR Mini Ton Class.

Attached Files:

• M1.jpg
      M1.jpg
      File size:
      110.4 KB
      Views:
    • M2.jpg
      M2.jpg
      File size:
      107.2 KB
      Views:
    • M3.jpg
      M3.jpg
      File size:
      95.9 KB
      Views:
    • M4.jpg
      M4.jpg
      File size:
      88.6 KB
      Views:
  10. dan catalyst

sailboat data credits them both with the L22 design ,but you know what they say about what you read on the internet.....

11. Paul B

Paul B Previous Member

Saildata has a lot of misinformation on it. I've told the owner about quite a few major mistakes. There are many more, but I don't want to be his editor.

The brochure and advertisments for the L22 indicate what was reported pretty much universally back in the late 70s: The design was by Kelley. I don't think I have ever heard anything about Lindenberg trying to take any credit.

Similarly, the Lindenberg 26 of the same era was designed by Lee Creekmore and built by Lindenberg.

Attached Files:

12. dan catalyst

Yup, good stuff,good stuff. Hey, is that other boat 'time out' still for sale? ill buy em all up and start my own regattas if i have to,lol.
    The last i can see 'mr.bill's dog' was in england in 1980. i wonder if she was ever shipped back? we should get those guys on the mini tonner site in england searching hard for her over there. $10k reward for her, dead or alive.more if she floats.

Just also dug up that my 'great white' sailed w/ bulb keel at one time and was rated @ 198p, but went back to fin keel and 201 the next weekend. ill be lucky to sail her at the national average, 207.
    Thanks for the info salkj!! now go dig something up where she won,lol. i think she got struck by lightning in that one and was pulled early if it was the tampa race.
    http://news.google.com/newspapers?n...FlQAAAAIBAJ&sjid=i1gDAAAAIBAJ&pg=2698,1194301
    oops, already posted that link.

13. dahrens

dahrens Junior Member

Magic Bus is still on the hard in Alameda, CA. I see her almost every weekend when I go to the chandlery. She's on a trailer and has a full boat cover so hard to tell what shape she's in these days. As far as I know the boat was last campaigned almost 10 years ago. I sailed a couple of Friday night races on her then.

14. salkbj

salkbj Junior Member

I have no record of "Mr. Bill's Dog" in Europe after the 1980 MTC. However, there where two follow-up boats built:

The first (1981), "100%"/"Junk Food", built in Sweden, later sold to Norway, entered the 1984 MTC, placing 20/27, probably also participating in MTC-82 (Marstrand,Sweden) but I have not the complete results list.

The second (1982), "Hummer"/"Høne Pøne"/"Spurven", built in Norway, took part in MTC-82, 20/45, MTC85, no record, MTC-86, 28/31 as well as the last MTC in 1993, 15/16. She was for sale in Norway 2011 at NOK30k.

15. dan catalyst

hey salkbj,i found that race coverage of the mini ton midwinters/nationals held may 78,(file says 1980?) where kirby won in the mystic mini ton 'heat wave', my boat 'great white' got 9th. ill post it up as an attachment.

Attached Files:

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.