Old Quarter Tonners -Magic Bus

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by steveo-nz, Oct 5, 2008.

1. Richard 4073

Richard 4073 Junior Member

Sounds like you were right involved in the measurement intricacies there Paul. The measurement process must have been pretty time consuming (I imagine it would be much easier now with the right app on one's iPad!) One of the big/critical factors was also the inclining measurements, and I think that evolved a fair bit over time, do you have any particular recollections on that front?

2. Paul B

Paul B Previous Member

Inclining was done by lashing the spinnaker pole athwartships with a specific length sticking out one side. Water containers of a certain weight (depending on the boat) would be hung from the end of the pole. The angle of the heel was being measured while the weights were added.

Then the boat was turned around and the process was repeated on the other side.

This was usually done very early in the morning. There could be no wind at all or the force of the wind on the rig could influence the data to a significant degree.

The owner's reps would set the boat up and do everything legal (and sometimes not-so-legal) to get the boat to measure at or below the minimum CGF. These tricks included raking the rig as far forward as they could get away with, soaking the halyard tails (more weight aloft), etc.

3. RCundiff

RCundiff Junior Member

Paul B. Checking in .... Haven't been here in a while. I still have the Old Cal 24 C/B that I paid $500 for with trailer and 8 Hp Yamaha. It has ended up costing waaaay more than that. How does it rate in IOR ? "RCundiff@aol.com"

4. Paul B

Paul B Previous Member

With your Old Age Allowance you probably rate something Negative by now.

I understand about the $500.00 boat actual cost. Mine was initially $900.00 on the trailer. The final cost ended up more than 20x that.

I'll send you an e-mail later.

5. canuckle

canuckle Junior Member

Great White

Hi all, if you are intrested in the quarter tonner great white, it is for sale.
    sitting victoria BC
    please post an altermnate method of contact with your post.

6. canuckle

canuckle Junior Member

quarter tonner

if you are intrested in Great white she is for sale.
    sitting victoria BC. Can.

7. Paul B

Paul B Previous Member

If it is this boat it was not a QT. It was a Mini Tonner.

Attached Files:

8. canuckle

canuckle Junior Member

great white

Sorry this is a friends boat, I do not have those specifics. looks like a great project boat. all the bits and pces are there.

9. canuckle

canuckle Junior Member

Sean9c expressed intrest in the boat in an earlier post

10. Paul B

Paul B Previous Member

Does Ian still own it?

11. canuckle

canuckle Junior Member

yes he does!
    so you are obviuosly aware of the boat.

12. Paul B

Paul B Previous Member

The picture I just posted was sent to me by Ian a couple of years ago.

This boat was 2nd in the 1980 Mini Ton NAs with a string of 2nd places in every race. Mr. Bills Dog (the Bruce Kelley World Champion) took straight bullets.

Great White was originally a daggerboard boat, but now has a keel. The original rig was pretty much a Soling rig with Genoas. Last time I saw it it still had that rig (at the OCC auction, just before Ian bought it).

Very cool old thing, for those of us who liked that era.

You should tell Ian to advertise it on the Mini Ton Class website (UK based). Someone there might love to get it and restore it.

13. canuckle

canuckle Junior Member

thanks for the info. I will let Ian know.

14. Richard 4073

Richard 4073 Junior Member

Looks like Time Out (is this the same as Great White?) comes complete with a nice glassed in bump just ahead of the rudder! What design is she? - looks like a Farr-style transom.
    Mini-tonners never seemed to catch on in NZ, would have been an even cheaper way to experiment than the quarter tonners. I guess the measurement costs would have been similar to bigger boats which may not have helped.

15. sean9c

sean9c Senior Member

Isn't Time Out the old Great White? Didn't Stan Teel build GW for Mike Braney? We might have talked about this before. As I see it the only reason to own a QT or MT would be if you lived in the UK and could be part of the revival. Just as a boat to sail around there are much better choices.
    I'm guessing PHRF for a MT has to be the 200's, a Cal 25 would be faster or maybe Roy's Cal 24.
    Plus the cost of rehabing a boat is so high. If TO were free it'd still be expensive.
    Interesting deal, Mike Braney was Dick Hampikian's partner in Lizzie B the Mark Lindsey built GS 27, Dick is still racing LB and doing well after all these years, that's durability

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.