Old Quarter Tonners -Magic Bus

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by steveo-nz, Oct 5, 2008.

1. salkbj

salkbj Junior Member

King

There where a "third" dual assy-boarder built (c-flex) in Sweden which weren't completed until the 77 season. Original plan was for the 76 Two Ton Cup in Germany.
    She was named "Popeye" with the sailor man displayed on her topsides.
    Totally uncontrollable downwind and to late for the loophole.
    Based on the "Aggressive II" design, so now there are four.

Attached Files:

2. sean9c

sean9c Senior Member

Gee, have a little weather helm.

3. Richard 4073

Richard 4073 Junior Member

Hi all,

My book on the NZ level rating 'Ton' yachts of the 1970s is now available (186 pages, 82 photos B&W, 15 drawings including six sets of lines plans) - go to http://lightertonyachts.co.nz (you have to post the link into your address bar as it’s so new that Google etc haven't picked up on it yet).

A copy of the front and back covers are attached, I'll post some sample pages once I get the pre-bound version back from the publisher.

cheers,
    Richard

Attached Files:

4. Paul B

Paul B Previous Member

Great. My order is in.

Last week Johnny Ramone's autobiography dropped. This week your book. Hopefully next week we'll see CT249's book, or maybe Gary's book on Jim Young.

5. Gary Baigent

Gary Baigent Senior Member

Found this shot of Laurie Davidson's brilliant Half Ton Waverider in Dave Giddens' sail loft. Images of Waverider are quite rare (people doing books on the period are always trying to hunt them down) - so I took a shot of this faded print - and played around with Photoshop to bring it up a bit.
    Tony Bouzaid and Helmer Pedersen are prominent in the line up of kiwi talent up to windward there.

Attached Files:

6. CRM

CRM Boat Builder

Present day Wave Rider.

A Belgium home port these days. I'm surprised how small WR looks !!

Attached Files:

7. Gary Baigent

Gary Baigent Senior Member

Well, Waverider was/is very low wooded plus also being narrower than any of the other Half Tonners of the time.
    That looks like Kim McDell near the stern, in fact I'm sure it is him. Does anyone know who the rest were?
    Here's another (setup) photograph from that period: younger Kiwi designers Ron Holland, Laurie Davidson, Bruce Farr and Paul Whiting.

Attached Files:

8. salkbj

salkbj Junior Member

Here is the same photo in color. Photographer: Guy Gurney
    Jonathan Eastland should also have a number of good photos from the HTC78. I only have b/w versions.

Attached Files:

9. CRM

CRM Boat Builder

Wave Rider 2011 1/2tons in the UK.

I did a 'you tube' screen capture of a recent Solent 1/2 ton competition video. Santa Evita, and many other great old IOR boats were at hand and wish these present day technologies were available back in the day. Yet,now is also OK.

10. CT 249

CT 249 Senior Member

Mine's basically done and has been for eons, but as a former magazine editor I was horrified by what book publishers wanted in comparison with what they gave! The other issue is that publishing is in such a whirl these days. The old ways of promotion are gone and I'm not confident in getting the same sort of exposure elsewhere.... I want to self-publish and I don't want to risk losing money that should be going on responsible and mature necessities such as wine, a beach house, racing boats, racing boards and racing bikes.

I'm now enrolled in a part-time PhD in a sports business faculty, using the research for the book for an analysis of the impact of technology on participation levels.

The book will be waiting for a while longer. Our oldest got head-hunted by Google after he finished comp sci so I've got him keeping an ear out for the best time, place and method of publishing these days.

If a history book can't wait, then it mustn't be very good history!:p

PS -I have just got my old Half back racing; just beercan stuff, but for first time out under the short-overlap rig with a dirty bottom and the teens doing all the work she went OK. We finished between an Archambault Surprise and a JS8000 but were too conservative and untuned and got beaten by a good Dragon ( :-( )and the former JOG (=MORC) national champ, a well-sailed 26 footer.

That lead to a chat over beers with a couple of other guys who are interested in reviving small-boat rated racing in Sydney. There's enough halves around here for a fleet or two, but quarters are a bit light on. Maybe we'll get something going next year. Local halves include a '76 Farr and some '76 Whitings, '89 carbon Humphries, '81 Dubois, '77 Beasho, a bunch of production Dida-type Petersons and dozens of older boats.

11. Paul B

Paul B Previous Member

I'm sure you could chat with Richard about how he went about it. I know it was expensive for Bill Barton to produce the IMP book. There are companies like Createspace online that could be a solution. I have purchased a book or two published there that can now be purchased through Amazon.

Sounds like quite a spread, speed-wise. I guess you'll race handicap?

12. Paul B

Paul B Previous Member

Just to let people know, the day after my order was submitted I was notified by PayPal that the book was shipped out via NZ Post. Next day shipment after receipt of order is better than I expected. Looking forward to the delivery.

13. Richard 4073

Richard 4073 Junior Member

Just catching up on this thread after a busy few days chasing Volvo boats around the harbour. What a great spectacle it's been. Good to hear the postal system is working speedily Paul, hopefully makes up a little for the time spent actually getting the book finished! And fantastic shot of Waverider above, photos of her do indeed seem to be rare. There is also a nice one here from an obituary on Tony Bouzaid:

http://www.sail-world.com/NZ/Tony-Bouzaid:-Images-from-a-rich-Sailing-Life/89850

14. quartermaster

quartermaster Junior Member

Fun Facts

Sean 9,
    To start off, the boat weighs around 3,400 lb.Originally she weighed 2,900 lb.I have a bulb keel that weighs 1,450 lb.approx. five feet below the boat. Carl Schumacker reckoned that this generated about 25% more righting moment than the original 1,300 lb.of lead in the bilge. So I added the Melges rig, moved the forestay to the bow of the boat and the mast back a few inches. I also carry a 10 ft. penalty pole for the spinnaker. This increased the sail area by about 20%. Downwind it's more like 40%. I do have a Genoa. I am currently having Dave Hodges, of Santa Cruz sails make a true no.1 , as during midwinters two years ago, I found I lacked horsepower in really light air. I use the tuning guide for the Melges as a starting point for my rig tune, as they state, it is better to keep mainsail tension on, and travel down in the gusts to relieve weather helm. This works up to around 18 knots of breeze, then I either need to slack the sheet, or as you say foot off. This is mostly due to the limitations of the rudder. To give you an example of how she goes down wind, I have hit a high of 9.3 knots on a Broad reach, with a reefed main and a no. 5 jib. Granted, we were surfing and the wind was in the low 30's, but I think with the right crew we could hit teens with the spinnaker in the right conditions. The boat refuses to plane. I think it could if it had a really big A sym. sail, but it would be a lot of expense for very little usefulness. I have considered runners, and haven't ruled them out to solve the pointing problem. Dave has promised to go out with us and analyze the rig and settings. I'll let you know how it goes. I was given the 156 , and 117 rating before the boat was ever raced. I'm doing the Friday nights at Encinal, and if we struggle, I plan to take it up with the committee, but I don't like to quibble.
    Quartermaster

15. CRM

CRM Boat Builder

That is PHRF

117 rating sound like the typical punitive nature of there mind set. The Davidson 29 I'm involved with was punished with a 117 rating. The previous rating was 129, that may have speed up to 120 to match locale J-29 MH boats even though there 1000lbs. lighter. Oh well. :(

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.