Old Quarter Tonners -Magic Bus

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by steveo-nz, Oct 5, 2008.

1. Paul B

Paul B Previous Member

I have no photos of Wide Load. It would be nice to see something, but I'm afraid no one is going to have anything.

I don't recall it being as far down the bay as Flam's. I thought it was in a slip a good bit closer to the ABYC end, maybe across from Chrisman's.

2. Paul B

Paul B Previous Member

Any news on how the book is coming along?

3. Richard 4073

Richard 4073 Junior Member

Hi Paul, pretty close as it happens, aiming to send off to the publishers next week which I'm excited about, just having some of the old lines drawings being tidied up which should be finished soon.
    cheers
    Richard

4. Paul B

Paul B Previous Member

Great news. Let me know when it is available and I'll send you funds for a copy.

5. sean9c

sean9c Senior Member

I've a couple of pics on the wall. Dumb boat, too extreme and not enough thought put into the design or details. Also a shitty owner. Me bitter? 30+ years go by and it still leaves a bad taste.

6. Paul B

Paul B Previous Member

How can we persuade you to scan those pics and post them?

It does sound like you got the raw deal on that project.

7. sean9c

sean9c Senior Member

I'll see if I can figure out how to do that. Probably more interesting boats to research. I know I fell in love with the 30+ft Wylie Moonshadow the first time I saw it. A way cooler boat than Wide Load

8. Paul B

Paul B Previous Member

Posting photos is easy if you have jpegs of the images you want to post.

Moonshadow is still sailing in SF Bay. It was interesting, but really not very special. Basically a smoothed out, very heavy half tonner with a flush deck.

I thought Wylie's Gemini Twins were cooler. But they were heavy things as well.

9. sean9c

sean9c Senior Member

Wide Load (and Hustler)

Here a couple of pictures of Wide Load and one of our own boat Hustler.
    I was surprised how deteriorated the pics were, I've tried to sharpen them up.
    Wide Load was 28'x12' and 8' at the waterline. 2 layers of 1/4" ply but with a 12" radius chine, about 4500-5000# had bilge boards and internal ballast. The boat needed more sail area. The original owner had lost interest by the time the boat was finished so it was only raced a few times, by us.
    Hustler was our first and our own, built in our folks backyard. 28'x8' and 6' at the waterline, about 2500#. Hard chine, one layer of 1/4" ply topsides and deck with a 3/8" ply bottom, had about 800# ballast in a 6' long keel. Cool boat. Needed more sail area and a different keel (and owners with some money)

Attached Files:

10. Paul B

Paul B Previous Member

Thanks for posting these photos.

The photo of WL blooping along the LB Breakwater also shows the old Catalina Seaplane flying over. No more Catalina Seaplanes.

The other photo of your boat shows a strange lack of development on the hills. I'm guessing that's San Pedro. Doesn't look like that anymore.

The old Treadmaster on the deck of WL was a curious choice. The Half Tonner Northstar had the same. It had to be the heaviest way to non-skid a deck, yet it was used on quite a few raceboats in those days.

11. sean9c

sean9c Senior Member

Ya, haven't been seaplanes in quite a while. Rode in one of the twin engine ones but not the 4 engine. Always had to go look at them on their moorings at Catalina.

Saw that a big chunk of Paseo Del Mar slid away, just south of Royal Palms, was surprised, that wasn't normally the area that moved. Not like the "flying triangle" in PV.

The owner chose the Treadmaster and we couldn't talk him out of it. It was the worst of all worlds, heavy, expensive, a pain to put down, hard on hands and feet and slippery with some shoes, and it shrinks with age so the seams open up. I think they still make it.

12. Paul B

Paul B Previous Member

I never flew to Catalina. I did ride the big white steamer over as a child a few times.

Not sure how long it has been since you sailed in LB harbor. The reclaimation for use as loading docks has now extended well into the areas we used to use as the racecourse. I'm attaching a picture with the latest additions marked with red. The area just in from Angels Gate is now almost closed all the way to the breakwater.

Attached Files:

13. sean9c

sean9c Senior Member

I'd seen that on Google Earth, amazing changes since I was a kid there.

Do you know this boat for sale on SA?

Custom 30' "Nimble" 1989

30' Custom Cold molded, prettiest girl at the dance. Bristol, RI Call for more info
    http://www.sailinganarchy.com/classified/images/110311_custom30.jpg

14. Paul B

Paul B Previous Member

I don't know what that boat is. Looks awfully "Old School" shape to be a 1989 build.

I do like the outer skins to be the diagonal veneer on these old bright finished, cold molded boats. Too bad they did this one BACKWARDS. Having the veneers going in the direction they chose ruins it for my eye. I think they should run 90 degrees from what they chose.

15. herbert92x

herbert92x New Member

Wide Load

Great photos! To an eight year old, looking up from a Sabot, it looked much bigger in 1975. Cheers!

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.