Old Quarter Tonners -Magic Bus

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by steveo-nz, Oct 5, 2008.

1. Richard 4073

Richard 4073 Junior Member

Hi CRM, list of racers and the results from the 1976 results attached from the Nov 76 Sea Spray review of the regatta (recently obtained while researching my book re the IOR era (1970s) in NZ).

A good summary there by Paul B too - SES was a pretty good looking boat, a definite move by Doug Peterson away from the pintails and foreshadowing what he would develop with B195. The hull still looks in good shape, but a shame to see a boat left to fall apart like that, it would be nice to see her at the QT Cup! An interesting competitor in that regatta was Potent Star, complete with a tacked on extension to the stern (a bit like a V5 ACC boat!) and some very obvious bumps at the B measurement.

If anyone would like to check out the latest and greatest in updating a 1977 Quarter Tonner, check out the photos of Black Fun on www.crew.org.nz

cheers

Attached Files:

2. Paul B

Paul B Previous Member

The sistership to Espresso called Spread Eagle (6th '76 Worlds) kicked around SoCal for many years. Last time I saw it was against the fence in the boatyard in Santa Barbara in the mid/late '80s. The keel was gone (probably sold for the scrap value), no rig to be seen, etc.

I know someone else saw it about 10 years ago in a canyon near the San Diego Zoo. I imagine some homeless guy was probably squatting in it at the time.

I bet the 6th place car from LeMans 1976 is sitting in a climate controlled garage after a few hundred thousand dollar restoration.

3. Paul B

Paul B Previous Member

What is the name of your book and how would I obtain a copy?

4. Richard 4073

Richard 4073 Junior Member

Hi Paul - book isn't quite finished yet, but the text is close to completion. Have had some really good input from Bruce Farr which has been great, and will be publishing the line drawings for his 1977 centreboard half tonners and one tonners that he has kindly dusted off and provided to me - the most amazingly fair lines for IOR boats.
    I have the small matter of arranging publishing, editing etc yet to go though, and of course real work also keeps getting in the way. Sigh!

1 person likes this.
  5. CRM

CRM Boat Builder

1975 Vancouver North Americans.

Vancouver NA. snaps, An interesting Scott Kaufman. Hollan's Kiwi 24, Truckin Machine. Pet 25, Valkyrie. Richard####; thank you for posting the 1976 Worlds, registration list/w race results.

Attached Files:

• 005.JPG
      005.JPG
      File size:
      153.7 KB
      Views:
    • 007.JPG
      007.JPG
      File size:
      156.2 KB
      Views:
    • 001.JPG
      001.JPG
      File size:
      153.6 KB
      Views:
    • 009.JPG
      009.JPG
      File size:
      156.7 KB
      Views:
  6. mshenefield

mshenefield Junior Member

Estimate for Peterson 25 in Fair to Poor condition?

Estimate for flat top Peterson 25 c.1974 in Fair to Poor condition?
    She sails great but the bottom needs paint and the insides are needing some tlc along with some new lines here and there. etc.

I've been looking all over for a estimate to give to the courts tomorrow morning.

Thanks for any help or direction to look.

Mark

Attached Files:

7. Paul B

Paul B Previous Member

This may be too late and not very helpful.

In today's market that boat is worrth very little. I doubt you could find a buyer willing to pay more than you could scrap out the lead from the keel. Look at Craigslist any day and you will find boats of that vintage offered for free if you will come take them away.

I think it is a cool old thing that should be owned, restored, and sailed. Not many boat buyers out there agree with me. I believe it is one of the original Eichenlaub built Petersons, and finished 2nd in the NAs twice. Sadly, not many people care about that sort of history.

If you try to sell it your best bet might be to contact Doug Peterson to see if he wants it, or if he knows someone who might.

8. CRM

CRM Boat Builder

Doug Peterson

Peterson actually has a face book page. I came upon it looking at some snaps of a friend of his, Chris Winnard, living up here in the Seattle area. He, Peterson wisely,( possible), limits who he accepts as "friend". Can imagine the many "messages" about this are that would drive hem crazy.

9. mshenefield

mshenefield Junior Member

Pet 25

I am not trying to sell her. Way to much fun to sail. :)

10. Toles

Toles Junior Member

11. quartermaster

quartermaster Junior Member

Boats are curious things in that there is sort of a reverse Geshtalt as they get older, the parts are worth more than the whole, rather than the other way around. As to value, that's in the eye of the beholder. Old quarter ton boats, if they have a pedigree, and especially if they are one off, have some intrinsic value, becuse they represent an avenue of experimentation in the history of yacht design. They are a physical representation of that designers thinking at the time they were built, and are interesting as such. Whether they are good boats or bad, sometimes is not the point. Sometimes, they're very quirkyness is enderring, as in example, in Odd Job. If you like it, keep it, and appreciate it, and above all use it. The value is relative, and most likely anything you do to it will be more exspensive than the boat itself.

12. plumbung

plumbung New Member

Clem Masters

Hi, yes I bought this boat in Feb 2011. I believe it is a lexen design and has had an extra bulb of 200kg on the keel and a lighter aluminium mast of 10.5m instead of the 9m. We think it is quite fast upwind and still tuning her before we race. We had her fairly well stripped back and antifould in Brisbane. Still named Rapt in Blue. We use her very reguly on weekends. Very solid easy to maintain and use yacht.

Peter 0406 518 160 if you want to know more.

1 person likes this.
  13. xlr8

xlr8 Junior Member

Gary Mull 1/4

I rebuilt 1980 Mull 1/4. It took 18 months and result was satisfactory.

14. xlr8

xlr8 Junior Member

SH-10003.JPG

This is my boat.

15. herbert92x

herbert92x New Member

Would love to see some scans of WL photos if they are out there. I used to race Sabots out of Leeway in 1975-77. WL was one of the 'big' boats on the bay we used to sail past on our way to mix it up with ABYC. I was always fascinated by the design and that yellow sign hanging off the transom. As I recall, it was tied up in front of Barney Flam's house.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.