Old Quarter Tonners -Magic Bus

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by steveo-nz, Oct 5, 2008.

1. Paul B

Paul B Previous Member

I never saw Hustler. Sound a lot like my current boat (28' x 8' x 1800 lbs).

I din't know Rogers had designed anything other than Duck Soup and Wide Load. Did he do anything else?

2. sean9c

sean9c Senior Member

Nope just the 3 boats, it was just a hobby.
    I sailed a little with Pete on his M27mod. Cool boat. i also sailed on stock M27, Pete's was way better. I wonder what ever happened to him?

3. sean9c

sean9c Senior Member

I just remembered. Sailing with Pete on his M27, short tacking in light air up the shore of Catalina Island at night trying to get around the west end. I'm driving Pete's standing in the cockpit, we hit a rock Pete does a full face first swan dive through the companionway into the cabin floor. Comes up with a bloody nose. I don't think he ever invited me back.
    Actually I did later sail with him on his C36

4. Paul B

Paul B Previous Member

I recall Pete retired from the sailmaking biz in the early '80s, turning the loft over to his partner Mary Campbell. I think she closed the whole thing down by the mid '80s. Their space at the LB Marina Shipyard was taken over by Ullman Sails for a repair loft, headed up by my old pal Neil Baker (RIP).

Someone acquired the Morgan 27 molds and started building "Marshall Morgans" with the Peterson keel and rudder, like Pete's.

The hull mold was later resurrected once more as the TMI 27 MORC boat in the mid '80s.

5. CRM

CRM Boat Builder

Some new stuff on an old LD boat

Hello,
    Just caught up on postings in this thread. Does any one know of "Tight Squeeze" a San Fran pin tail Peterson 25.?? A flush deck job. I have snaps of it. I was impressed by how well made the boat was. Professional. A shop just across from Alameda, Oakland side, was making Pet 25 way after "Poseidon" closed. On a trip south I spotted the hull on a cart and stop to check it out. The glass work was excellent. Looked like something out of Wylie's shop in Alameda!

On an other matter. As most here know of my link to Davidson's work take a look at this 21 year D-29 I made.

Attached Files:

6. CRM

CRM Boat Builder

An unbelievable performance HERE.

This thing has sate a round in the back waters of Puget sound for years. "20" years, A modest family bought the thing. Did a refit. A lot of TLC. And IT is performing in a spectacular manner. Very good driving by a young Moth sailor. That Class G. group of boats ( in snap above )were and have been shut down twice; Winter Vashon 1st in class 3rd in fleet. Dewanish Head 1st. in class 2nd. in fleet. I apologize for being off thread here. However I'm so damn pumped by all this I just want to share with this group of extremely knowledgeable sailor that read here.

7. booster

booster Senior Member

Whiting distortions

Sean9c!
    Perhaps it looked like a quarter-ton version of Whitings "Newspaper Taxi", see previous post (or Baigents book "The light brigade"). Kotzebue decribed it as "Way cool" in a previous post. Those distorsion can work, see for instance Rob Humphries design "Indulgence" (a modified Hustler 32?) which was 2:nd in the HTC -78? when Wave-rider won the first time. Perhaps Whiting went to far with that "beach ball" thrown in to tie the parts together. The structural stiffness wasn't paid that much attention in those days!
    Regards,
    Booster

8. booster

booster Senior Member

Hi Again!
    Rob Humphries or Steven Jones design that "Indulgence"...
    Regards,
    Booster

9. Paul B

Paul B Previous Member

The Hustler 32 was Jones.

10. Paul B

Paul B Previous Member

I think those molds made a few stops along the way. Actually, there were multiple molds of that era design floating around from the mid '70s right through the '80s. So the ones you saw might not have been the PSY molds.

11. sean9c

sean9c Senior Member

Undoubtedly some funny looking shapes have shown speed. I remember thinking at the time that Whiting must have taken the lessons learned on MB and decided to push the rating distortion envelope harder. What would be interesting to know would be what were the trade offs for all the extra distortion.
    Also, I'm not sure that boat was ever given a chance to develop. It had the wrong owner who gave up. Maybe given more time and effort the boat may have been successful. We'll never know.
    Ya, I think it was Steven Jones that did the Hustler series. Didn't he also design OddJob?

12. sean9c

sean9c Senior Member

Congratulations! Davidson sure drew some good looking boats, nice so see that there are folks out there to take care of them

13. Paul B

Paul B Previous Member

Yes. Odd Job was also a Jones design.

Some great photos of the extensive/expensive refit of Odd Job (and other QTs) by Fiona Brown are available on her site, accessible through the Quarter Ton Class site.

Some Odd Job photos here:

http://www.fionabrown.phanfare.com/2245034_2424361#imageID=33939827

14. booster

booster Senior Member

distortions again

Hi!
    In a previous post Kotzebue mentioned something like: no IOR hull depth measurments are located at the aft part of the boat. This explains the bow-down trim of IOR boats. Davidson mentioned in Baigent's book "The light brigade" someting like: the Whiting designs are joining the dots-yachts which results in a big concavity in the bow, but he gets depth-volume which is very clever. This probably means that the IOR measurements points simply are joined tother with straight lines. As a results minimum real displacement is achieved in the bow. In combination with the concavity-resulting "depth-volume" the boat can be bow-down trimmed without increasing the pitch too much. Rather high free-boards (see "Smackwater Jack) probably means that the measured beam is loacted comparativly high above the waterline, while the beam at the waterline is fairly small. From above the boat looks like almost having a corner at mid-span. However, it is located above (or near above) the effective sailing lines. The difference between the girth-stations shall be as big as possible indicating a boat that rapidly "disappears". Whiting probably does something clever in the bow via the corner shape mentioned. The rear girth stations is not handled extremely compared to, for instance, the -80 HTC winner Joubert-Nivelt design ArBigouden.
    Regards,
    Booster

15. Paul B

Paul B Previous Member

This is true, but doesn't tell the whole story. Althought the hull depths aft of BMAX were not used in the DSPL calculation, the depth at AIGS was measured as VHAI. This led to bumping the bottom at this station, creating the "IOR Bustle" in the hulls.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.