Old Quarter Tonners -Magic Bus

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by steveo-nz, Oct 5, 2008.

1. booster

booster Senior Member

Norlin

Richard!
    Regarding Peter Norlin. He won the Half Ton Cup 69-71 and was 3rd in 73. He won the ¼-ton cup in -74 and the ¾-ton cup in about -78. He was third in the 1/4 ton cup in -77. The one-ton section of SORC was won in about -76. Moreover, his designs have won several R-yacht Worlds, the latest this year. Years ago I read an article in a Swedish Magazine comparing the designs of Doug Peterson, Farr and Norlin. The bustle was treated and Norlin said he had a different treatment compared to the others. In -80 the HTC was won by ArBigouden (Jouber&Nivelt) and Norlin was 4:th with Buterfly. The treatment of the aft sections was totatly different comparing these two boats. I think Norlin can give you a good insight in the designs under this period.
    Regards,
    Booster

2. quartermaster

quartermaster Junior Member

quartertonner "FUN"

That black and white picture is the quarter "FUN" . I am the present owner and I recognize the sail numbers. Also, I would like to hear from the guy up in Oregon who helped build her, and raced in 1976. She is restored and is very fast, and very beautiful.

3. Gary Baigent

Gary Baigent Senior Member

Here is Fun being built lightly in wood by John Rea in Auckland.

Attached Files:

4. CRM

CRM Boat Builder

Oregon made, Davidson 1/4 toners.

I posted snaps of a couple northwest Davidson 1/4 toners, Further out and an other boat that was reported to have died in Florida. Can not speculate on "builder" of these boats, however a noted builder "Rader" , started up a shop just after the IOR period, he is closely linked to Tom Wyhlie desiges, may know of these other L. Davidson boats.

On an other matter; This thread has discussed 3/4 ton boats . Take a look at curent snaps of Pendragon I, loved, maintained, and sailed out of NewPort Beach, Ca.

Attached Files:

5. Paul B

Paul B Previous Member

I think you might be talking about Steve Rander at Schooner Creek Boatworks.

http://schoonercreek.com/default.htm

I was talking to Alan Andrews this past Friday and we were talking about some of the old boats that are still in great shape. He brought up Pendoggie aka Violetta. Nice to see current photos of her here in this thread.

I know someone who is currently working on acquiring a beautiful old wooden IOR boat with a good history. He hopes the deal will be done by the end of this week. Then he plans on taking at least a year to refurb it. It should be a great project.

While helping him on that project we found one of the old boats discussed earlier in this thread. Deception, the wooden Peterson 38 lightweight, is currently for sail on Boatpoint. I thought someone had mentioned it was destroyed at some point. Nice to see it is still surviving.

Attached Files:

6. CRM

CRM Boat Builder

Paul B old IOR boats

Steve Rander, at Schooner Creek. that's it. You have it Paul.

Accutly I wanted to post these snaps of Pendragon.

Don't think I've ever seen your Peterson.

PD on the hard, in SoCal.

Attached Files:

7. quartermaster

Gary,
    Thanks, It's confusing as to what Laurie was up to, as there is a strong conection to the West coast and Washington in particular.I thought that she was built in N.Z. as my title says Newzie builders, Auckland .N.Z .I would like to get in touch with John Rhea, and send him some photos of the boat, I'm sure he would be happy to know his work is admired and appreciated.I tried to do the restoration in the manner that he might have, I.E. the interior structures are all wood so none of the alterations look out of place.

8. Paul B

Paul B Previous Member

Thanks for posting those photos. I've seen the boat on the water but the yard photo is nice to see.

You would not have seen this Peterson, or her sistership, unless you travelled to Australia. The closest thing you would see to those boats here on the West Coast would have been Brown Sugar in SF and Dust 'Em in SD in the late 70s.

9. Toles

Toles Junior Member

Quarter Tonner info/threads etc

Hi All- New here, but have been slowly working my way through this old thread.

I have the Whiting 1/4 ton, Smokey Joe built in the Magic Bus mold, with an revised deck plan.

I've done a bit of a rebuild of the past couple of years.

This included extending the rear deck lockers all the way back to the transom (So no traditional 1/4 ton dove tail anymore- but very convienient).

Currently actively supporting a revival regatta being planned by the PBYC (Club that hosted the 1980 worlds).

There is a regatta being planned for March 2011 currently.

Would welcome any tips/thoughts on Smokey Joe if anyone has any.

Cheers,

Anatole

Attached Files:

10. quartermaster

Smokey Joe

Anatole,
    We have the origional quarter tonner Magic Bus here, in San Francisco. She looks entirely different from yours. The rig is very different. What exactly have you done?Has it improved the boat, handeling wise?

11. Toles

Toles Junior Member

I haven't done all the work on the boat.

A new rig with swept back spreaders went in at some point in the past- before I got the boat.

I've just had some chats yesterday with John Wakefield who built the boat, and raced her in the 1980 worlds- so I'm hoping to find out more going ahead.

Pic attached of Smokey Joe when I first got her- in need of some serious repairs (deck and gunnal rot) and some of the changes I did.

Will write more when I have some time later

Attached Files:

12. tkminh

tkminh New Member

Thank all for sharing :p

13. Toles

Toles Junior Member

As an after thought to my earlier posting- for any local enthusiasts- Panmure Yacht Club- who hosted the 1980 worlds are working to organize a re-union regatta in March 2011. The cup is the PGH Lynn ¼ ton Trophy which was the local trophy to attain representation choice for the worlds.

Expressions of interest to PYBC.

More info available on this link.

http://pybc.org.nz/en/index/dloads/catid_32

There has been a few threads on crew.org.nz about this.

http://crew.org.nz/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=14660

14. Peter 60+

Peter 60+ New Member

Tony Castro

Tony Castro designed this (3rd) development of his MG26 for Bent Folke Larsen, Copenhagen in 1988 for the defense of the Cup in Falmouth 1989. This boat was named Scandinavian Seaways; the previous Castro developments for Folke Larsen being Whopper and McDonalds.

Seaways was an extremely costly build with carbon fibre hull, wood, steel/cobalt alloy rod rig and as I recall titanium pulpit etc.

The hull, deck layout and interior (check http://www.histoiredeshalfs.com/Quarter Tonner/Q Castro Scan.htm) is original, except perhaps for the window, which has no race purpose.

Only a minor part the ballast was in the keel, the majority was lead bars centered low in the hull, for measurement and control of pitching. Balancing on this keel was not normally a problem, but on at least one occasion righting the boat required stepping on the keel, dinghy style.

For all that effort and expense the boat was actually no faster than McDonalds and even at that time it was seen as a good and sensible call, to ban further developments of such exotics.

Sorry about the delayed response, I did not see this forum before.

15. booster

booster Senior Member

Thanks 60+!
    So, Tony Castro it was. I took a look at his website. He has designed a boat named Fidel! Anyway, some years has passed ince Castros Justine won the 1-ton Cup. If I recall correctly with Harold Cudmore at the helm. Ron Holland sailed a designed of his own (Vento?) and was 2:nd.
    Regards,
    Booster

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.