Old Quarter Tonners -Magic Bus

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by steveo-nz, Oct 5, 2008.

1. Paul B

Paul B Previous Member

Compared to Roler I thought the other Nelson boat, North's Sleeper, was a better concept at the time. It was fast and very good looking.

For the Admiral's Cup that year the USA chose the two R/P boats (Lobo and Sidewinder) and Roler. I think Lowell sold Sleeper so it wasn't available. Looking at the SORC result we see the old Italian Peterson Almagores (a 1981 Admiral's Cupper based on the 5 year old Serendipity 43 design) beat Roler and Sidewinder. It's no wonder the USA was not competitive that year.

2. Timoniere

Timoniere Junior Member

Looking at the 85/86 sterns I saw again Humprey's Jade.... I letterally loved her: low free boards, very "english appearance" and..... fast!
    What about the Quarter Tonner QUEST (around same years and similar look)?
    Well, I'm writing while Bertarelli is "close to suicide" (it's a way of saying, of course) after the first (lost) fight between two future monsters: interesting!
    But no race at all

3. salkbj

salkbj Junior Member

Here is 1/4-tonner Quest'86. Now named "Full Circle".

photo: Fiona Brown

Attached Files:

4. salkbj

salkbj Junior Member

Farr design no.85

You IOR buffs:
    We know about Nenufarr, F 7817(?).
    F 7819, sistership or the same boat with different graphics?

Attached Files:

5. Tanton

Tanton Senior Member

One-Tonner

Belly-Up.
    Wooden one tonner.

6. Paul B

Paul B Previous Member

In the French QT listing they show 7819 as a Farr 727 named Good Speed.

The boat pictured sure isn't a 727!

Attached Files:

7. Gary Baigent

Gary Baigent Senior Member

That schooner-ish bow, could be Laurie Newlove's Farr QT Hot Number? - which came 4th in 1980.

8. salkbj

salkbj Junior Member

Farr design no.85

If one looks really close one may notice that stanchions, push-pits etc. are exactly the same, which differentiate (these) boats from e.g. the Italian Quarter.
    However, I've personally never seen a document or picture that actually verifies "Nenufarr" being number F7817. The French site as mentioned is obviously wrong.
    It could be that the current "Espada" in England is the former F7819. Anybody?

9. salkbj

salkbj Junior Member

Farr design no.85

Looking carefully on the pull-pit, one must draw the conclusion it is not Hot Number!?

Attached Files:

• HNum.jpg
      HNum.jpg
      File size:
      67.8 KB
      Views:
  10. Paul B

Paul B Previous Member

Attached Files:

11. Timoniere

Timoniere Junior Member

Thank you Salkbj for Quest's news...
    I liked Quest's lines very much and it is interesting looking at Nenufarr's stern: quite different but with similar performances, I presume.
    I'm not sure but displacements are very different (may be 300/400 kilos?) between the two boats and Quest was very good upwind: someone knows something more about this?

12. CRM

CRM Boat Builder

Timoniere,s Jade

Did you see the EBay listing of Jade? It had a buy it now price of $25,000. Located in the New England area, $12,000. ++ was bid on it. This didn't meet the reserve and so, not sold. All this was pointed out by Randy Browning the fellow that runs SailboatData.com site. I got him to start an IOR forum thread much like this Quarter ton thread. People using this site mite check it out. In no way is as frequently visited as this site, however many data points of production boats can be found.

The seller of jade presented a great photo essay of the boat. I tryed to save all the snaps of this fine boat, alas EBay blocks screen capture - dam. The hull has a shiny poly royal blue paint job that makes it look even better than when I saw it, all white in the UK. I have a C&C34R a semi race boat and the interior snaps of Jade made it look much smaller than my boat, more like a long 1/2 tonner. The deck hardware was dated, but interesting to see how it was out fitted. I think eBay has pulled the auction, However I've not googled "Jade".

13. Paul B

Paul B Previous Member

There have been a couple of custom one tonners of similar/slightly later vintage for sale around here over the past few years, asking similar prices. No takers at all. Even the donation programs are turning these old warhorses away.

For peeling pics off the 'net you might want to try a program called Snag-It. It is inexpensive, I think I paid about $35.00, and it works great.

14. CRM

CRM Boat Builder

Paul B Software

Thanks Paul,

I well check it out, that sounds like the ticket. I've missed capturing snaps of rare items on the web, I would love to have saved.

I once saw a Santana 35 the Shad Turner boat on EBay for $15,000.++ . It also didn't sell? Jade, did have bids placed on it, probably just low balls. Related to this thread of quarter toners a year ago, I ran across a 1/4 tonner by Rodger Marshall. A drop board boat that was sweet.

Thanks again.

15. Brett Linton

Brett Linton New Member

Hot Number is sitting, run down, in New Caledonia.
    Black Fun has been to rock bottom and is on the way back up again. Sailing later this year.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.