Old Quarter Tonners -Magic Bus

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by steveo-nz, Oct 5, 2008.

1. dus25

dus25 New Member

additions///
    Races in Russia in QT class only for IOR < 5,65m
    Typical IOR certificate is in attachment

Attached Files:

2. booster

booster Senior Member

Hi!
    I know about the Q-ton activity in Poland, but this activity in Russia was new to me. Interesting to see that you still use the IOR-rule. You have several good sailors, that duel in the Kingston Olympic games between Mankin and Albrechtson in Tempest! Perhaps Dennis Conner was 3:rd? Those America's Cup boats of your's in San Diego, that lacked funds... The Swedes in the Norlin-Södergren design "Tre Kronor" had a little more sponsoring, but not much. In fact "Tre Kronor" means three SEK (but it is also ironically the name of the Royal Castle in Stockholm).
    Regards,
    Booster

3. dus25

dus25 New Member

QT is one of the most popular classes in Russia
    We have about 35 Q-ton boats at Moscow Championship and about 30 Q-ton boats at Championship of Russia in 2009.
    The race calendar for Q-ton consist about 10-12 regattas every year (in Moscow)
    Another one active fleet is in Vladivostok and it consist of about 25 Konrad 25 (Peterson 25)/
    In Vladivostok the races for Konrad 25 aren’t use IOR-rules. The Konrad 25 in Vladivostok is the monotype boat.
    Now in Vladivostok also use Platu-25 (about 10 boats)

4. booster

booster Senior Member

dus25!
    What is the background of your Q-ton sailors? Any of the old Soling-sailors present? Any Finn-sailors? At some time your Soling sailors were very good, perhaps before the match-racing part was introduced at the Olympics? Those Soling sailors of yours bought second-hand stuff from other countries. Still they were among the fastest at the Soling World's. Impressive. What is the reason that the Q-ton is so popular in your coundtry. Can we learn something?
    Regards,
    Booster

5. CRM

CRM Boat Builder

dus25!

Why NOT ! Welcome aboard !

For the people that build the ,Sukhoj - Su.26 or the Yak 54 sport planes, to not have excellent contemporary sport boats is just not googling what is happening in Russia.

A fellow flies into Port Townsend with a Su26 sport plane and I've spent much time examining the plane and having worked for Boeing as a tooling engineer on the 767 start up after my Bayliner years; I can rate it with a Beech craft/Bonanza for an elegant high order build minus a leatherette appointed cabin.

The www.vprincipe.ru web sit covers much of the river racing Scene in the big "M". I was google mapping a river on the East coast of the White Sea, were I clicked on a picture near a logging town's dock, and was surprised to see a 1980 Bayliner 2550 / Saratoga sedan cruiser !!!!!!!

I would say of any place where the IOR could continue to influence boat design out side the pressure of the "one design think" would be a place like Russia. The US is a slave to marketing pressure to join the big white one design fleet. The thrust or focus towards the youth, sport boat design type to the exclusion of alternative designs personaly bugs me. These rich boat manufactures vacuum up " all "wanting to get into boats like the Quarter ton type boat. Often a J-24 can speed past my Peterson 25 in meny conditions but light air, yet I much prefer the P-25, to a j-24 hands down. Like meny monitoring this topic like these boats for one reason are an other. I enjoy seeing the snaps of the Quarter Ton boats and the racing in the Moscow waters.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 1, 2009
  6. CRM

CRM Boat Builder

Mystery Boat !!!!!

Can any one peg this boat? It has been mentioned here.
    crm.

P.S. please take note of the high gain back stay leavers!!

Attached Files:

7. Gary Baigent

Gary Baigent Senior Member

Scandinavian - Evind Still?

8. booster

booster Senior Member

difficult

Mystery boat again!!!
    Gary B says Scandinavian, Eivind Still? Well, the stern looks like a little Doug Peterson, and Trägårdh (Sweden) did some sterns like that. Södergren usually didn't have that flat part under the transom. Norlin designed a quarter-tonner "Creme Fraiche" about 78-79 that was a little Manznita inspired. The backstay-arrangement is unusual in Sweden (under the relevant period). On old boats, say -50 you can find it. The compasses recessed in the deck is unusual in Sweden as well (under that period). Some german boats had that compass arrangement. On the other hand Judel&Vrolic was later. Perhaps Elvström&Kjearulf? This is a difficult one.
    Regards,
    Booster

9. Paul B

Paul B Previous Member

The cabin house has the same "wings" on the aft end as the yellow Davidson Farther Out shown a couple of pages back. So I will guess this is Suzi, the updated Davidson that was in the top 3 in the NAs in '79 or '80.

10. Gary Baigent

Gary Baigent Senior Member

If it is a true Davidson design it most likely would have an open transom. And he wouldn't have had those hi field levers on the backstay runners. Also the midships beam looks too wide for a Davidson, too much a fatty. The transom also looks very similar to a Berret's Oesophage Boogie 3/4 tonner - although this is a smaller boat.

11. CRM

CRM Boat Builder

Mystery quarter tonner.

This is are " was " an interesting 1979 North Americans winner. The boat always reminded me of "Mr. Bill's Dog" 1/2 ton winner out of Oklahoma! Do not remember when Mr. Bill won the worlds 1980's? Any way, I well post a bow on snap of this 1/4 ton boat that Paul B well pick up on. I liked the way it's bow pulpit was laid out and duplicated it for my Peterson 25. Never regretted that.

I didn't think fellows out side the US would recognize the design. Gary B was right on about the tacking runner levers. 1928-30 technology out of Scandinavia to help underway tuning for IOD - Dragons. When this 1/4 ton boat had success in the N.A. Latitude 38 talked it up about how slick the levers worked. I can attest to that fact. Most of the races were held on the Berkeley triangle, However one race "the first or last" can't recall ??? was started wright off the beach at the St.Frances Yacht club. The two boats that were hot on its heels looked like a Farr 727 and a Thunder bird ? Wasn't up close and personal with this race, Unfortunately. Yet with my field glasses I could see the boats jockeyed for position at the start and saw the levers let off, then bang they came on. very smooth.

The Boat was Carl Schumacher's "Summertime Dream."

crm

Attached Files:

12. Paul B

Paul B Previous Member

Mr. Bill's Dog was a Mini Tonner, not a Half Tonner. It won the Mini Ton NAs in '79 and '80, and then won the Worlds in '80 as well. It was a custom Bruce Kelley design, and at 24 feet overall length very long for a mini tonner.

13. CRM

CRM Boat Builder

Paul B

It was only a mini Toner????? Man my memory is shot. I will upload the Summertime file now, again I had resolution set to high. Also a shot at the start of a race at these N.A.'s I think it is of this Suzi you have mentioned, as it has a cabin port lite, however the Farr 727 did to.

Sailing Anarchy had a very nice write up about the Kelly designed mini Mr. bill's"big" dog. I Do remember the Oklahoma connection, which cough my eye.

Let's take a look.

crm

Attached Files:

14. CRM

CRM Boat Builder

San Fran 1/4 Ton races.

Suzi? dipping back for the start. Then head to head with summertime. If I just had a better lens for my camera.

Attached Files:

15. Paul B

Paul B Previous Member

You might be mixing/matching your Mr. Bill references.

There was a Half Tonner in SF in '77, '78, and onward that was very fast, won the NAs once ('78) and should have won in '77 except for a BS protest. It was called Oooh Noo!, after the Mr. Bill claymation. It was probably the last daggerboard half tonner in the US, a Peterson design.

As you can see, it also had a similar style of bow pulpit.

Attached Files:

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.