Old Quarter Tonners -Magic Bus

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by steveo-nz, Oct 5, 2008.

1. Paul B

Paul B Previous Member

How hot does the black deck get on a sunny day?

2. Gary Baigent

Gary Baigent Senior Member

Surprisingly not hot at all, maybe because the paint is glossy. There are some light grey seat pads to be glued on but so far they're not necessary ... actually I quite enjoy a warm seat - but this may change in high summer.

3. Paul B

Paul B Previous Member

I asked because I had just left the top down on the car and we're having a bit of a heatwave here. The black leather seats were roasting from the sun, really too hot for bare skin to contact.

So I assume there's no nonskid on the surface? Doesn't it get slick to sit and stand on?

How is that rig working out? Is it able to sail upwind well? Do you trim the aft sail on centerline and the forward sail at an angle of 8 or 10 degrees off?

4. Gary Baigent

Ah, Paul, good questions. The deck is reasonably smooth and Dread O is a cruising day sailer - so no trapezes, just sitting out and so far no problems. The cockpit floor is painted over box weave glass, some carbon, so not slippery.
    The "sketch" rig has surprised me, beating we lined up against a Young 88 and climbed away to windward, about the same speed though. Daggerboard is quite deep, plus the rotating rigs are clean, so must help. The after (main) sail is sheeted centreline and hard, fore sail down traveller a little and not so hard. Boat feels pretty quick but it's early days as yet. Taking it out again on Monday.

5. phum

phum Junior Member

Back to the Quarter Tonners,
    Any one have an idea of the design of this boat?
    Note fin attachment to hull,not much room for bolts,do you think it may have been a centreboarder?
    Peter

Attached Files:

• r1.JPG
      r1.JPG
      File size:
      24.9 KB
      Views:
    • t.JPG
      t.JPG
      File size:
      26.9 KB
      Views:
    • u.JPG
      u.JPG
      File size:
      17.7 KB
      Views:
    • y.JPG
      y.JPG
      File size:
      26.6 KB
      Views:
  6. Paul B

Paul B Previous Member

It Lives

I have heard from Harry O, the owner of the Peterson QT Rat Race (nee Blitz). This was one of the fastest QTs in the world in 1977.

He plans to restore the boat and have it sailing next summer.

Good to see an old daggerkeeler that has never been converted to a keelboat, one of the few, if not the last one.

I've told Harry about this thread so hopefully he will visit and post updates.

Attached Files:

7. Paul B

Paul B Previous Member

Has the look of a Dubois maybe?

Where is it? It sure is in nice shape.

Many elliptical keels were as narrow as 7% at the hull connection. This one looks strange, maybe it is the camera angle. The transition from thick to thin looks very abrupt. I doubt this was ever a daggerkeeler.

8. phum

phum Junior Member

Paul B,
    The lines are quite fair, not at all like I would expect from Dubois. Hull looks like it could have been designed yesterday. Fin transition is from 65mm to 30mm over75mm, very abrupt, what is the idea behind this?
    Present connections know nothing of its history which is a shame.
    Peter

9. Paul B

Paul B Previous Member

Do you have any photos of the deck, and straight on looking at the stern? It sure looks like the Dubois Shiny Shovel type.

The original Shiny Shovel had a daggerboard.

I have no idea why someone would have such an abrupt transition at the top of the keel. Obviously they were trying to keep the top as narrow as possible to minimize the turbulence at the junction.

Again, where is the boat? What is the sail number? Is there any hull number? Where was it before it arrived in your area?

10. Gary Baigent

Paul, Laurie did a few designs with this type rudder and keel - but the bow looks Du Bois and the stern looks too narrow for a Davidson - think it also could be Philippe Briand.

11. phum

phum Junior Member

Boat is at the Gold Coast, no idea of sail number etc. People I spoke to had no knowledge of its past. They thought it was a modified trailer sailer, weren't ancient enough to recognise a Quarter Tonner.

12. booster

booster Senior Member

Berret?

Phum!
    The keel looks like that of the halftonner C (Cofica), by some french designer Berret or Fauroux. The bow looks older in design as well as the limited flare of the free-boards. The rudder on the skeg looks as a version of the Iberian Shamrock by Holland (the skeg was integrated in th rudder). The stern does not look Holland. Dubois hade more bustle. Seems not like a Davidson. The rudder could be a Farr, but not the skeg.
    Regards,
    Booster

13. booster

booster Senior Member

Andriau?

Phum!
    The halftonner Cifralene (2:nd at the World's in Norway -83?) by Andriau had such an elliptical keel. The Andriau designs usually had significantly higher freebords in the bow compared to the stern. By the photos it is difficult to see if this is the case.
    Regards,
    Booster

14. CRM

CRM Boat Builder

PHUM and bOOSTER.

MYSTERY BOAT? At first I was agreeing with Booster. (French - A Berrent or Briand type) However I've been watching YOU TUBE postings of Quarter ton racing in the solent, UK. I was thinking ESPADA, or BULLET. The last series of IOR boats, mark III ? However they were all a little different from PHUM's snaps.

I think Laurie Davidson, first of all QLD, ? Queensland, ? Australia? I take it. If so, this is in his neighborhood, next take a look at these snaps of a1978 Davidson from here on the Sound. Then the rudder and keel look familiar. When I meet Davidson, and working on his 1989-90 IMS 29 foot boat here in Port Townsend, two items in his design interested me. First was the semitar profile shaping of the rudder, and the upside down keel with yes a 7% foil at the hull attachment.

The design called for a composit keel haveing a bronze top, with the remainder lead ending in a 1000 LBS bulb. As I worked up the foundary plug for the bronze T- flange top, I held it up one day asking LD is that enough material? The question didn't bother him . LD,"7 % foil would do nicely for stenth but how are we going to bolt it all together". He puzzled. "The T- plate top was for bolting it to the hull pocket, but the rest of it?"

Attached Files:

15. Paul B

Paul B Previous Member

Is that yellow boat the old Suzi, or yet another Davidson QT? Suzi was the "Fun" update with a wood keel. I think they were 3rd in the '79 NAs.

Does this boat still exist somewhere in the PNW?

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.