Old Quarter Tonners -Magic Bus

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by steveo-nz, Oct 5, 2008.

1. booster

booster Senior Member

Gary B, CRM, Paul B et al!
    Yes, please upload them CRM. The green plastic headsail of Pendragon got the knickname "the garbage bag". Look at some of the earlier posts of Gary B, under this thread. There you can download Gary B's book. Thanks Gary B for the correction regarding Davidson vs. Chance Jr. Yes, "Ritous Assembly" and "Voodoo Vehicle" would be interesting to see.
    Regards,
    Booster

2. CRM

CRM Boat Builder

Ok, I will start getting it all set up for tomorrow.
    crm

3. CRM

CRM Boat Builder

The Assembly.

Lets take at this boat. It was a very nice peace of furniture. First, I think coments were that the crew was made up by picks UP! Second, At moments this boat would just shoot out of an area with speed. Then slow? Do not think they knew how to sail the boat. Correct me but was this boat not a drop board boat?

crm

4. CRM

CRM Boat Builder

I just can not upload pictures????????

5. Paul B

Paul B Previous Member

What format (jpeg?) and size (megs?) are the photos you are trying to attach?

6. CRM

CRM Boat Builder

3/4 ton snaps

Lets try this again. I'm doing jpeg, However I've got this new little Nikon p-6000, and have it in the higest resolution. Which give snaps of 2.5 to 3.0 MB. I cranked it back to std. and hopeing to have dialed back to 300 to 400 KB !!!??? here goes.

Attached Files:

7. CRM

CRM Boat Builder

Boat snap,

OK, It appears I've figured this camera out. 1. Assembly top view. 2&3 Big boats series, (SF) years ago Hawk eye 50' 4. 3/4 tonner, Hagar, on the hard at Cadrenails, Lake union. This is the "small" city marina that I was checking out every other day for arrivals to this big race, when one day I discover Chocolate chips, Lobo, and the Dragon Just off loaded from there haulers.

The Dragon was in the water. Purple hull. and a Pen Dragon logo on its side, I'd had no hit that this boat was coming up here. I remember just standing there in amazement at what I was looking at. It was so very different.

I well arrange the other snap in a proper manner and post

crn

8. CRM

CRM Boat Builder

3/4 tonner Assembely

Assembely in Seattle and out racing.

Attached Files:

9. CRM

CRM Boat Builder

Assembely snaps

More snaps. Not shown here, but Sachem's center board looks just like it's rudder scaled up for its purpose. I've included race results showing how many boats performed well in one are two races, throug outs in others. As you can see Sachems aft run was very sloped, and only a small bussel ahead of the rudder.
    crm

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 14, 2009
  10. booster

booster Senior Member

CRM!
    Nice snaps! Assembly is really a bauty. Yes, the aft run of Sachem looks like the one-tonner Bruce Farr designed to Crown-prince Harald of Norway. I belive it won the one-tone cup. Do you have a snap of Pendragon with the green genoa?
    Regards,
    Booster

11. Paul B

Paul B Previous Member

Thank you for all these shots.

R. Assembly does appear to be a daggerboard boat, contrary to the article written in SAIL magazine that stated only Pendoggie and Sachem were board boats.

The way the outer layer of wood is laid on both Hagar and Sachem is the way I like it, approximately parallel to the bow angle. Other boats like R. Assembly, Chips, and the Farr One Ton Sweet Okole ran the outer layer longitudinally. I don't think that looks as nice.

12. Paul B

Paul B Previous Member

I think if you look at the sterns of Sachem and Fram (attached picture of near-sistership from Farr site) you will see they are not that similar. Of course they both have some similar characteristics due to the IOR Rule at the time, but they are significantly different.

Attached Files:

13. Paul B

Paul B Previous Member

Holy crap!

Look how loose the leeward upper shroud is on Assembly! They are lucky they didn't lose the rig.

Also note how full the foot of their reefed main is. Not fast like that I'm afraid.

From these photos it seems the folks sailing that boat were not quite as up-to-speed on boat setup compared to Lowell North on Pendragon and the Buchans on Sachem.

14. CRM

CRM Boat Builder

Paul B and Booster, 3/4 tonners

Yes, I also like the outer layer of cedar aligned to the bows rake. It is easier for builders to do yet owners are locked into the horizontal look?

I've got a snap of the Magic Bus and Sweet Olkie.

I believe the Canadian fellow that was running the Assembly was new to the boat and not all knowledgeable with this kind of rig. Hagar's people were out all the time in lake Union learning the 3/4 Rig and the boat.

The different types of IOR boats in a given rating level is what I liked so much. Yet, all in all people it turns out is what makes them go. The Blue Rhapsody Buc 335 was financed, for $38,500. the boat and all changes, by James Smith a not to tall man but well built, Which, also happened to coach the U. Dub's (Univ.of Wash.) Wrestling team's.

A no nonsense person with boundless drive. They prepared this boat to the nines. He was responsible for getting the "Supper Spar" people to build the triple spreader rig using a half tonners section. He's people spent three weeks on the keel, and rudder. Other kids prepped and painted the hull bottom,during this month. Much time was consumed by just learning how to fair a boat. Yet,the keel came out almost perfect. They routed out a rabbit on one side of the keel's trailing edge, about 3/16" deep then screwed a 1/8" bar of S.S. to it with over hang that would fair to the other side. Once epoxied then painted out, they were rewarded with a thin 1/8" strait edge.

I write all this because the opposite occurred with the other Bucc335. Financed by Bayliner's marketing people. The boat was given to a then young, and not well known Keith Lawrence, manager of the locale Sobstad, sail loft. This campaine evolved into a party boat, to the extent that the cockpit turned purple by wine.

Upon reacquiring the boat after the races I was told by Ray Wall my boss, to pick up the Boat at our Seattle, Boat Street dealership. Then Moore it in Everett, Ray Wall, said Orin Edison wanted to sail the boat to his place in La Conner,wa. Upon telling Ray about the trashed out condition of the boat and verified by the dealership people in Seattle, that indeed this was how it was returned to them. Well, The hole sailboat thing just went to the back burner for the company. Orin Edison is a non drinker and very hard nose person, and upon hereing about this blew a gasket.

A friend told me Bruce Farr came to the plant in Everett "Marysville" looking for a design contract and was flatly turned down. The whole division was sold to Pearson I think in 1982 . Lee the manager of warehouses and materials, was told Pearson just wanted to kill the hole line of boats, as it was cutting in the market base they had worked hard to develop.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 17, 2009

15. Gary Baigent

Gary Baigent Senior Member

It's a canting to leeward rig, Paul - or maybe it's a mast-in-line lazy jack?
    It would be interesting to know the difference between Riotous Assembly and Smackwater Jack; there appear to be many similarities in the hull design. Smackwater was also wood but Newspaper Taxi was one of the earliest in foam/glass and carbon - and so was Magic Bus, but no carbon. The colour jpeg is of, I think, one of Paul Whiting's last designs, a non rule 38 named Wild Cherry. The plan is Newspaper Taxi, next is Candu 11, a Half Tonner before Newspaper but a keelboat, no board. The other two are of Smackwater Jack.

Attached Files:

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.