Old Quarter Tonners -Magic Bus

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by steveo-nz, Oct 5, 2008.

1. Paul B

Paul B Previous Member

It was not a forestay problem for Ganbare, it was a navigation error that had them pass a mark on the wrong side that cost them the cup.

The interesting thing is Peterson and crew informed the RC about this foul themselves. Here's a young designer sailing his first boat, that he has put himself onto the verge of bankruptcy to build, and he takes himself out of the possibility of winning one of the most prestigious awards in sailing at the time. Sadly, I don't think you would see somethig like that today. Professionalism in the sport has changed everything.

For example, this past weekend I was sailing in the San Diego Yachting Cup, one of the major events in SoCal. After sailing our little 48 footer against a fleet of 70 foot sleds, TP52s, custom 50 footers, and DC in his Farr 60 we were leading after a first day 1-2-1. The first race of the second day we were hunted during the start by a 70 footer that was near last place. They started above us and pinned us, then as we bore away a bit to make room to tack away they also bore down to keep us pinned. We made a big dip, spun inside them, only to have them crash tack on top of us. Later up the beat they took a position to prevent us from tacking and held us from tacking until we were a good 40 seconds past the layline. Finally, on the final run they tried to roll us for the last 2 minutes of the race, forcing us to defend. It was clear their intent was to drive us back as much as possible to ensure other boats with sails from the loft of their tactician had a chance to catch us in the final standings. It might also have something to do with us changing from that brand of sails about a year ago.

Here are a couple of stories about the '73 OTC and the '75 version. They are from a non-sailing magazine, so not the best reporting from a sailor's point of view:

http://vault.sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1087814/1/index.htm

http://vault.sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1090247/index.htm

2. Paul B

Paul B Previous Member

I would say this Farr design is pretty close top what you are describing. The big difference is they chose to use the canting keel for the ballast package instead of internal ballast like the old King boats.

http://www.farrdesign.com/613.htm

I am not aware of the Chance boat mentioned. It must not have been very successful.

3. booster

booster Senior Member

Paul B et al!
    Thanks for the OTC -73 and -75 reports. I can see in the post above that SORC is mentioned, in the post by Gary Baignet. In -76 the SORC one-ton series was won by the Peter Norlin design Agnes. I believe Dennis Conner was second in a Ron Holland design, perhaps on of those named Apple. With Agnes Norlin put a lot of energy on the design of the rear girth station; what a bustle! Still the skeg was nicely integrated with the bustle. This boat was built in wood on a typical old-fashioned shipyard in Sweden. Agnes otherwise follwed the Accent- and Amoress-lines. Before the SORC Agnes was said to have no chance by the competetors. At power-reaching it prowed to be the best.
    Regards,
    Booster

4. Paul B

Paul B Previous Member

That would have been difficult for DC to accomplish, as the Fat Boy was driving the big S&S Charisma at the circuit that year. The Peterson Two Ton World Champ Williwaw was the Overall winner in '76, with The Pope aboard.

The previous year he had been sailing in the One Ton class on Stinger, a Peterson design with slight modifications from the Contessa 35 lines. They won the circuit Overall, in a boat that was built in wood by Eichenlaub in 21 days in order to make it to the start line.

I believe DC came back in '77 and won class in the Peterson 46 High Roler. In '78 another Peterson 46, another Williwaw, took the Overall, followed by Acadia, the Peterson Serendipity 43, taking Overall in '80 and finally the Peterson 51 Intuition taking Overall in '81. That was 5 of 7 years of Peterson winning the Overall at the SORC, not counting all the class wins during those years.

5. phum

phum Junior Member

How did "SEAPLY" go ? It was built for the 78 World QT. in Japan.
    Designed by Paul Whiting to be built in plywood it was quoated as being lighter and with a bigger sail area than "MAGIC BUS"
    Might have been a centreboarder, any centreboard boats still sailing?
    Peter.

6. Gary Baigent

Gary Baigent Senior Member

Booster, I haven't a photograph that shows the distortion on Ar Bigouden but here is a profile drawing, which definitely shows a horrible run in the after sections, amazing that she sailed so well - and also to slightly antagonise Paul is a good shot of Jim Young's Heatwave, generally recognised as the fastest heavy weather one tonner in both '77 and '78. Searched for the Fous du Vous image but it seems I have lost it.

Attached Files:

7. Gary Baigent

Gary Baigent Senior Member

hey, that is not Heatwave but the earlier Checkmate, that was chopped around and turned into Heatwave. The hull was cut in half and a new after section and stern replaced what you see here, and the bow section was cut open and bent up (a measurement trick) - Jim said he didn't know how he achieved this but he did it somehow - and that Heatwave was the ugliest boat he'd ever designed.

8. booster

booster Senior Member

Paul B, Gary Baignet et al
    Paul, thanks for the correction regarding Dennis Conner. Gary thanks for the drawing of AR Bigouden. Yes, the run is horrible in after sections. Phum, SEAPLY had to be renamed (due to sponsor rules). I think they just changed the P to an F; SEAFLY. The quarter-tonner Butterfly by Norlin originally had centerboard in -77, but now has a keel. I believe her sistership SeCiBon still has the centerboard. I found a photograph of Ar Bigouden (now PNINE). Due to rule-changes the transom was cut about 1m. How do I post it on this site?
    Regards,
    Booster

9. CT 249

CT 249 Senior Member

Booster, I think it was "Ydra" (a fairly light Carter) that lost her forestay and therefore lost the OTC; but that was in Sydney. Carter's huge heavy Wai Aniwa won the OTC instead. The next year, Ydra won the OTC after Ganbare withdrew because of that navigational issue.

Phum, Seaflyer was 3rd in the QTC. She was designed for light winds which were expected, and won the only light race by about 7 minutes. The Japanese boats did better in the other races when it howled. Sweet looking boat!

Seaflyer was a boarder but was later fitted with a keel, like all the rest of the 'boarders in Oz. One I hope is still around is the Farr "2269", fourth in the '77 half ton worlds. However, she went onto the beach when the mooring s at Mornington (Melbourne) were taken out in a gale a year or two ago; dunno if she survived as she was looking tired a while before that.

The Farr 1 tons Piccolo (ex Hecate) and Scallywag (ex Smir noff Agen, not Scalawag ex Jenny H, same design but different boat) seem to have disappeared. One was up your way last I saw. Their fixed keel sister Granny Apple is in Tassy. Newspaper Taxi (Whiting 1/2) was converted to a fixed keel and sank off Tassy. Industries (Beashel 1/2 design in ply, about 6th in he worlds in 77) the only other Aussie CB boat, was in Gosford years ago looking aged and converted to a keel. It may have died.

10. Paul B

Paul B Previous Member

That looks to be the same sort of counter that the Davidson 45 Shockwave sported. As I recall that was the boat that really had people up in arms and the ITC immediately changed the amount of overhang allowed beyond the AGS. Any amount of overhang beyond the limit was added to L.

That brought out some chainsaws.

11. booster

booster Senior Member

PNINE previously AR Bigouden

ar.jpg

Hi!
    I have tried to attach a photograph of PNINE previously Ar Bigouden. Perhaps webmaster can fix it. I just found a photograph of the original boat as well, but there was copyright involved.
    Regards,
    Booster

12. booster

booster Senior Member

AR Bigouden un-chainsawed

ar_orig.jpg

Hi!
    If there is a problem with the copyrights, webmaster please just remove it.
    Regards,
    Booster

13. Paul B

Paul B Previous Member

Just found this North Sails ad from after the '78 QT Worlds (attached).

I was talking to Bruce Nelson on Friday about how we miss having a good worldwide rule, even something like the old IOR. He mentioned his first boat, the QT NA winner Blivit, had a keel fitted after '78. Magic Bus also has a keel these days. So does Fun.

I think the only QT in North America that still had a daggerboard by the mid-'80s was the Peterson Blitz, mainly because it was a budget project.

Attached Files:

14. booster

booster Senior Member

Paul B!
    Yes, having a good worldwide rule, even something like the old IOR would be fun. In those days the cost to build a boat was reasonable. With help of your friends a quarter-ton project was realistic. If strict restrictions is put on building material and sail-fabric and so on perhaps it is possible. I see that you discussed this with Bruce Nelson. Regarding Sweden: Peter Norlin (among other things winner quarter-ton cup in -74) nowadays sails mainly R-yachts. Last year he was 4:th at the 2.4mr World's at Gran Canaria at an age of 67! (I was 21:th myself, age 48). I will discuss this with Norlin at the next regatta. Håkan Södergren sails some 2.4mr as well, but not that frequently.
    Regards,
    Booster

15. gggGuest

gggGuest ...

I trust you protested. By *your description* that's a clear rule 2 breach. There was a similar incident at the i14 worlds in 2005, the offender was given a DND and the boat that was sat on given redress (which returned them to the first place that they were holding before the incident). Case 78 in the casebook is pretty clear.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.