Boat Design Forums  |  Boat Design Directory  |  Boat Design Gallery  |  Boat Design Book Store  |  Thanks to Our Site Sponsors

Go Back   Boat Design Forums > Design > Sailboats

Old 06-22-2015, 10:46 AM
aka Angel (only by name)

Rep: 1632 Posts: 1,382
Ocean Kite Sailing-How to solve the problems with very light airs and sudden squalls?

KiteTender 1010
Quote:
KiteTender 1010, competing some Volvo Ocean Racers ?

Based upon all experiences in dinghies and sea going vessels, we like the 1010, the ocean going Kitetender.
Ocean Kite Sailing-How to solve the problems with very light airs and sudden squalls?-kt-1010-glass-roof-1024x723.jpg - - Ocean Kite Sailing-How to solve the problems with very light airs and sudden squalls?-ocean-going-kitetender.jpg
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - click pics to enlarge - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Specifications KiteTender 1010

- 1. Length 10,10 mtr

- 2. Sandwich vacuum built, with four watersealed compartments

- 3. Several kites & Sizes, upwind , downwind & stormkite

- 4. Telescopic mast for Kite launching

- 5. Winch for kite flying (less drag), upwind 30 mtrs line, downwind 60 mtrs line.

- 6. Remote control Kitesteering is possible.

- 7. Heeling control.

- 8. Lifting keel, with only 15% ballast, easy trailering.

- 9. No huge ballast of 50% in her keel needed, just some 15% ballast will be sufficient.

10. Therefore Kitetender can be built lighter and will speed up earlier.

11. In case of a severe storm we plan water ballast tanks, to have a more sure and smoother ride.

12. Trailerable on a slipway, so take it anywhere you want!, and no antifouling needed.

13. Fits to container.
My question hereby is: How they gonna solve light airs and doldrums on the ocean when the kite won't get up or drops in the sea al the time . . ? ?

In very light airs traditional sails would maybe only flap just a little, but would still be able to move the boat at a 'speed' of one or two knots maybe, so eventually could get you out of there earlier then just wait and wait for a weather change.

Below an example of her dinghy sister, there light airs aren't such a problem, you simply stay ashore . . .

Last edited by Angélique : 06-23-2015 at 08:18 AM. Reason: extension + title change.
Old 06-22-2015, 12:22 PM

Rep: 43 Posts: 109
A few lbs of Helium in a few chambers will be enough to keep the kite in the air I guess, kinda like an odd shaped balloon.....
A small bottle will be sufficient for several re-fill's I guess......how and what, I dont know
Old 06-22-2015, 01:10 PM
Flight Ready

Rep: 1362 Posts: 13,630
Kite Tender

Good stuff! Thanks, Angel...
Old 06-23-2015, 09:06 AM
aka Angel (only by name)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westel View Post

A few lbs of Helium in a few chambers will be enough to keep the kite in the air I guess, kinda like an odd shaped balloon.....

A small bottle will be sufficient for several re-fill's I guess......how and what, I dont know
Could be a good idea

But I think it would require a different kite design since the normally with air filled float might try to fly at the upper side when it gets filled with Helium.
Old 06-23-2015, 05:27 PM

Rep: 27 Posts: 26
Helium won't work with kitesurfing tube kites, but potentially it could work with a large foil kite.

As far a I can tell, modern foil kitesurfing kites will fly in 6-8knots, maybe less. In my experience, launching a foil in light wind can be difficult.
Old 06-24-2015, 04:19 AM
aka Angel (only by name)

Trent Hink, thanks for the info . .

I would still like to move around a bit when there's only 4 or 5 knots of wind though . .

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

An aside, just saw a 28' Tri, worth to save I think, for sale in Sarasota fl, advertiser is somewhere near Stickney Point Rd, maybe it's something for you, or maybe you could send the guys over here (post #495) a report + some pics about it's actual condition . . ? ?
Old 06-24-2015, 04:46 AM

All the few pockets of helium (or another cheap lighter than air gas) have to do is lift the weight of the sail/lines in the air.
Why would it not be possible to add a few small "air" bags at the top of the sail to lift it in the air ?
Old 06-24-2015, 05:04 AM
aka Angel (only by name)

At least higher there is more wind than below between the swell, so if the kite is brought up it might catch some of the little wind up there . . ? ?
Old 06-25-2015, 03:06 PM

Rep: 611 Posts: 1,730
Certainly a worthy concept for an off shore boat.

Might even be a good idea for a life boat, or life raft.
Old 06-25-2015, 10:35 PM

Rep: 117 Posts: 541
Maybe a topspar or telescopic spar for launching the kite in light air. Also a super light, and big, kite for light air. I am not sure the helium idea is practical. I think you would add as much weight as you would create buoyancy. Also not sure if you would recompress the helium between flights. Neat idea though. You could store it in a bag in your buoyancy tanks so you might not actually have to compress it and recompress it. Less gear storage though. Put me down as a maybe.
Old 06-25-2015, 10:46 PM

Rep: 117 Posts: 541
I'm thinking for light air you might want a super light drifter sail, if only because it wouldn't require as much string, and it would be more versatile as a wind-seeker. It could be very light and be designed for 0-5 knots. Just a big flat cut nylon genoa, on a light carbon whip spar that extends above the kite spar. The whip spar could also be used for initial launching of the light-air kite, which might be for 3-8 knots. The drifter / wind seeker would be better for less stable light airs where there are lots of holes and zephers. The light-air kite would be better for steady but light breezes. I agree that in many conditions it might be steady once you are up high enough especially in left over slop, and in warm winds over cold waters, i.e. high wind sheer. The telescopic or 'gunter' spar would not have to be heavy.
Old 06-25-2015, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Kennedy View Post
Maybe a topspar or telescopic spar for launching the kite in light air. Also a super light, and big, kite for light air. I am not sure the helium idea is practical. I think you would add as much weight as you would create buoyancy. Also not sure if you would recompress the helium between flights. Neat idea though. You could store it in a bag in your buoyancy tanks so you might not actually have to compress it and recompress it. Less gear storage though. Put me down as a maybe.
Helium has about 1 gram lifting force per liter......have no clue how much such a kite sail weighs though.
Perhaps the volume would be too big to be practical.......after all,it was just an idea
Old 06-26-2015, 12:27 AM

Rep: 1818 Posts: 2,039
Excellent video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6pP...ist=WL&index=9
Old 06-26-2015, 12:38 AM

This type of kite is what I want to experiment with for the TEN

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sA-4wcaRM9w

Old 06-26-2015, 12:48 AM

These kites have excellent all weather capabilities
and this is what I am hoping to develop for the TEN it pulls very well and I guess that a good kite could pull a small boat along a an easy TWO knots

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5z4o_yfvMQ