Newbie in need

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by petesteck, Apr 4, 2005.

1. petesteck

petesteck New Member

I'm looking for a cheap fixer upper (but well made) 3000 and under to learn how to sail on. Their are so many kinds of boats. How can I possibly narrow it down. Any advice would be much appreciated!

2. Skippy

Skippy Senior Member

There are lots of variables. What kind of sailing do you like?
    Fast & wet? A good racing dinghy will teach you quickly.
    Slow & comfortable? Other models will be drier.
    Do you want to carry passengers? A daysailer will accomodate family or friends.
    What kind of water will you be on? Out in the Gulf, or on a small lake? A cat will be fast, but a monohull will be easier to handle in rough water.
    Do you want to do overnighters or longer trips, or just day sails? That determines whether you need a cabin.
    Be careful about fixer uppers. There are a lot of repairs that cost more than the extra cost of a better boat. Usually a half-decent used boat is the least expensive option.

3. usa2

usa2 Senior Member

how much is a laser?

4. Skippy

Skippy Senior Member

Laser: Around $5K new. About eight years ago, I bought a late 70s model for just under $1K.

5. mackid068

mackid068 Semi-Newbie Posts Often

Go for the laser if you'd like a dinghy. In my experience, most sailors say to start with a dinghy, because keelboats and larger boats are pretty easy to sail for a dinghy sailor but not the other way around.

6. CDBarry

CDBarry Senior Member

Go to boatyards and marinas and look around the back for the one with the grass growing around it, leave a note on it with an offer. (Old Pearsons are nice general purpose boats - Ensign, Ariel, Commander - that you can often find. Cal 20s, Santana 22s, Ranger 23s are a bit newer and commonly available at those prices). Ask the harbormaster. Look in the local sailing sources and talk (or go online) to the local class associations, someone might have an old whatever to get rid of. This would also be a chance to get out as someone's crew and get a feel for the boat and would give you an idea about what works in your area. Dead Solings are frequently available cheap, for example. The Flying Scott is another nice oldie that would be a good starter as would a Banshee if you are looking at the small end (like a Laser, but probably under $600). A Thunderbird is a good choice if you are ready for plywood. Place an ad in the Pennysaver or whatever local free classified is available, the boat you want won't be advertised.

You do have to decide about trailerable dinghy vs berthed keelboat - the latter will have the added cost of berthing.

7. mackid068

How about a West Wight Potter? Maybe an O'Day (Haven't sailed one, but they are supposed to be good used boats.) Maybe a Catalina 165k (16' open sailboat with keel if you want to learn a bit about keelboat sailing.)

8. asathor

asathor Senior Member

The real cost issues

The real cost issue in not boat price but the weight or lenght.

If you want to trailer it with a car it needs to be light and it should probably be a centerboarder so you can stay under 2000# total including trailer - that leaves you with Dinghys and Day Sailers.

Some Vans and large Sedans can handle 3000#

If you have a street truck with highway gear rations then you can probably handle a combined 4000# but if you go higher you will need Transmission Oil Coolers and "deeper" gear rations (rear end of 3.73 or higher). If you don't do this you can expect to have to overhaul your tranmission after your first long July trip. Read Trailer Boat Magazine they are pretty good.

If you go higher you are looking at serious gass-guzzlers.

Slips in populated areas will run 1000-2500 (or more) for the season and storage is extra.

You can estimate the weight by looking at the factory "Displacement"/ weight and add at least 50% for a stripped down racer and trailer and at least 75% or more for a cruiser since the weight will go up both by whatever options are on the boat and what you stuff in it like a motor, gas and a portapotti, cooller, sleeping bags and who knows what. Whatever people says assume they have not had it on a scale and add 500# to be safe.

If you get a boat with more than 18" draft you will need rollers on the trailer or you will have to "drown" the rear end of your vehicle on some boat ramps. You can get trailer tongue extenders but that doesn't help when ramp is to shallow and you can't get in deep enough.

If you see people launch 27-30 foot powerboats you can get a 2' draft bpoat in - but you may also fall of the end of the ramp because it got washed out by power boaters powering onto the trailer.

In the real world this means a 16-19' cruiser or racer unless you already own a real work truck (1ton or towing package)

Common boats are best for starters, they are plentifull so the prices don't vary that much (you won't get taken), you can sell them again and spare parts are plentiful. There are a lot of racers and cruisers out there that you can sail or race for fun. Just keep in mind that a new set of sails even for a small racer may cost a couple of grand, so get something with decent sails.

If you have a big truch or are OK paying for a slip the there are a lots of nice 21-23 that you can still trailer occasionally - bigger than that and you are looking at "moveable" boats.

The racers with 3 and 4 foot keels pay for the use of a lift when they go out of town - that might be affordable if you are negotiating for your club but not as an indivial each weekend.

Search the web for boats in your area, call the clubs, marinas and dealers and pick a boat that needs TLC but not a lot of plastic or hardware work with a good motor.

9. tspeer

tspeer Senior Member

Go to your local yacht club, and see what kind of dinghies they race. Buy an older, used version of whatever they sail. That way you get a boat that is suitable for your local conditions, and you'll have a ready market for the boat when you sell it to move up, whether it's to a bigger boat or a more competitive boat of the class you've come to love. You'll also have a body of knowledge in the local sailors to tap into - you'll find they are very helpful whether you're racing or just day sailing. A good used boat will hold its value very well, so you can sell it for almost what you paid for it and your net cost of ownership is low. Although you do have to get over the hurdle of the intial purchase price.

And offer yourself up to crew in the races. A racing skipper will take an inexperienced crew that can be depended upon to show up on time, every time, over an experienced sailor that is only available on an irregular basis. You'll learn very rapidly, and by crewing on different boats you'll soon get a sense of what you do and don't want in your future boat. An enthusiastic crew can get all the sailing one wants for free.

You can't go wrong with a Laser, for much the same reasons.

If you really want to minimize your cost of sailing, beware the fixer-upper. You will put as much money into it as you would buying a boat in good shape, and you'll be spending all your time working on the boat instead of being on the water. That's not to knock working on boats - if that's your thing, go for it. But if you want to sail, you're much better off paying a bit more for a good boat.

Here again, the guys at the sailing club can be in invaluable resource. Many of the best deals aren't advertised. They will tell you the history of the boats that are for sale; they will tell you about Sam who doesn't come out much any more and might be willing to part with his boat even if he hasn't put it on the market yet; and they'll tell you about the widow whose husband's old boat is still in the garage in perfect condition.

As an example, when I was sailing Merlin Rocket dinghies in England, I was looking for a design called a Smoker's Satisfaction. Well, you never saw a Smoker's advertised - if you had one, you just let it be known that you might be willing to part with it, and if you wanted one you asked around a bit, and before long the grapevine would connect you up. In the mean time, I was crewing for other skippers and learning a lot about the class. When I heard of nice Rowsell-built Smokers available near Oxford, I snapped it up almost sight-unseen. Then had a great couple of years racing it on the Thames before I came back to the US. Although it needed some major repair to some rot at the bottom of the centerboard trunk, I was able to sell it for a fair price (about what I paid for it, minus the estimate on the trunk repair) when I left.

And don't rule out partnerships. I own a boat with 3 other guys. We each get the boat for 1 week out of 4. That way you don't feel like you're owned by the boat and have to get out every single weekend to make it worth all the money you've sunk into it. And for big jobs, you have people to help out. There is a loss of flexibilty because you can't sail whenever you want. But it is a way to get the sailing and boat ownership experience you want without breaking the bank.

If you can find a compatible person to go in on a dinghy with you, you can buy a boat worth twice as much and you have a ready sailing partner when you go out or race.

Finally, don't be intimidated by racing - it's the best and fastest way to learn how to sail your boat right, and it's a great social activity, too. Inexperienced racers are welcomed and encouraged in club races.

10. mackid068

LASER! LASER! W00t. Sorry, I HAD to.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.