Newbie mast repair questions

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by ranger22, Sep 9, 2005.

1. ranger22

ranger22 New Member

Hi all,

Need some help with a repair issue. This is my first sailboat so I'm learning as I go along. One of the spreader brackets on the mast (fractional rig if that matters) is cracked and needs to be replaced. I'm replacing both as the boat is over 20 years old. The mfg'r I'm getting the brackets from also recommends installing a compression rod to handle the athwartship loads/stress.

Here's where I'm lost. I've never heard of a compression rod. I've heard of compression boots for the bottom of the mast but never a rod. I'm pretty sure my boat didn't come with one.

So, if anyone could help me, a) what is a compression rod, b) where do I find it/locate it on the mast d) how does it work, and c) how/where are they installed (any tips on putting it in in other words)?

Is this a common item on production boats? Continuing my education....

Thanks in advance for any help!

Best Regards,
    Mike

2. D'ARTOIS

D'ARTOIS Senior Member

Your manufacturer is correct, otherwise the full load of the compressing stays would crinkle the plating of the mast. The installed compression rod avoids that happening.

3. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

To keep the hollow mast from collapsing as the rig tries to squeeze the spreaders through the mast a compression rod or tube is installed. A compression post is also typically installed under deck stepped masts, though some designs skip this in favor of bulkheads bearing the loads and transferring them to the hull.

Each manufacture will engineer their own methods of handling this issue. Your best bet is to follow the recommendations of the spreader manufacture, besides the parts will fit, rather then needing some modification.

4. MarioCoccon

MarioCoccon Senior Member

Hi: The compression rod its very significant, some boats lost it when taked the spreader screw other have it welded you can feel them with your finger or see in the inside when taked down the spreader bases. If not cut a hold and the same size of the outside of the tube you gone to use. Only in one side, when you are installing bake the bases you put the tube with the screw ant the base at the same moment. In the other side the nut. If its a old boat not a french one you can find a machine shop to do a custom one its better put always put some insolator to release the electrolisis created for the aluminium and S/S join.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.