New Zealand Scow

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by dskira, Aug 9, 2009.

1. dskira

dskira Previous Member

I am researching for historical interrest, the New Zealand cargo scow.
    Is sombody from New Zealand in the forum who can direct me for my search.
    Plans, pictures, historical associations, act.
    many thanks

1 person likes this.
  2. Gary Baigent

Gary Baigent Senior Member

NZ scows

An excellent book is "Neath Swaying Spars," by P.A Eady - has a brilliant chapter on crossing Hokianga Bar in heavy seas. Another one to Google is Hawkins books on Scow history - I have an article by him, I'll jpeg and post it tomorrow. The Auckland Maritime Museum is another site to contact, also the Royal Yacht Squadron has a large and superb Winkelmann print of scows racing in their club room.

3. Guest62110524

Guest62110524 Previous Member

I used live on Great BARRIER,
    Once or twice I used to crew up on Owhiti
    and Jane Gifford
    Owhiti in my day had (wait for it) one Lister and one Kelvin
    so maybe google Owhiti,
    I used do thsi with Subritski

4. tom kane

tom kane Senior Member

Phantom Fleet-Scows and Scowmen of Auckland Publisher Reed 1975 is a good book about Scows.There is another which I do not have the tiltle at the moment.

5. MikeJohns

MikeJohns Senior Member

The maritime museum in Auckland has one there which looked to be in good operational order.

Was it Von Bruckner as a WW1 POW in NZ siezed a scow and plodded off only to be re-caught ?

1 person likes this.
  6. Gary Baigent

Count Von Luckner, Mike.

7. Steve W

Steve W Senior Member

The one at the Maritime museum is not an original but rather was built for them and is used for tourist trips,i went for a sail on it a couple of years ago,very cool.There are build pictures on the website,i think you may be able to buy a video of the build.The Owhiti was a co star in a hollywood movie with Tommy Lee Jones called "Nate and Hayes" in the USA but i think it had another name elsewhere,it may be worth doing a search online,its kind of a cheesy flick but has some sailing shots. The Jane Gifford has undergone a major and proper restoration recently in Warkworth and is i think carrying passengers.There is a lot of info out there on the history of Kiwi scows unlike the Great lakes scows they derived from.
    Steve.

8. dskira

dskira Previous Member

Thank you all for yours very helpfull informations.
    I appreciate.
    Daniel

9. apex1

apex1 Guest

Felix, Graf von Luckner

[​IMG]

* 9. Juni 1881 Altfranken bei Dresden; † 13. April 1966 in Malmö

escaped from Motuihe at Hauraki-Golf, was caught again 900 miles north of Motuihe.

Scuppered 23 British ships during WW1 with only one seaman being brought to death by accident. His ship SMS Seeadler:

[​IMG]

I met him in Hamburg in the late 50ies as a school boy, a impressive man he was.

10. MikeJohns

MikeJohns Senior Member

Thanks for the corrections he was a noble man by all accounts, I wonder what he thought of Scows caught after nearly 1000 miles, the NZ ers were lucky to re-capture him and I bet they had everything available out there looking for the week or so while he was free. I just read that In the 2nd WW he was a staunch anti-Nazi and Hilter ordered him shot, he was tipped off and escaped that too.

Here's the source of the picture I posted earlier shows the Jane Gifford rebuild with some internal structural detail too.

You probably need a Java browser plugin to navigate this site.

http://aquapx.com/

Therr were also scows with a finer angle of entry and more traditional overhanging bow shape that would nahe been better performers in a seaway.

Does anyone know what profile the centre-boards were when lowered ? It looks like on some of these it may just be a rectangle slid up and down in a slot rather than a pivot.

11. Gary Baigent

NZ scows

Here is Cliff Hawkins article in Sea Spray:

Attached Files:

12. Guest62110524

Guest62110524 Previous Member

there is even a Cove named for him

13. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

This is fascinating - I remember seeing a wreck of a hull on the east coat of Waiheke Isalnd 30 years ago with that distinctive flat bow. I thought it was a one off badly designed yacht.

14. armcc

armcc Junior Member

Kahiki

The scow RWatson is referring to is, I think, the Pahiki. Pahiki was a 40 tonne, 56' ketch (scow) that I believe was originally owned by McCallum Bros in the early 1900s for transporting red shingle from Pahiki Island, near Waiheke.

My grandfather (Whitaker) owned her in the 1940s and used her for recreational sailing. He added a small cabin abovedecks. I do not know when he sold her or who to, but she is definitely sunk near the causeway (or forms part of the causeway) between Blackpool and Ostend in Waiheke Island, Auckland.

Apart from rather sketchy family history, the only information I have is from http://www.mccallumbros.co.nz/mcchistory.htm

I would love to know more about her and why she ended up where she is. Daniel if you come across anything useful about this particular scow, I would appreciate knowing more.

15. armcc

armcc Junior Member

Pahiki

The scow RWatson is referring to is, I think, the Pahiki. Pahiki was a 40 tonne, 56' ketch (scow) that I believe was originally owned by McCallum Bros in the early 1900s for transporting red shingle from Pahiki Island, near Waiheke.

My grandfather (Whitaker) owned her in the 1940s and used her for recreational sailing. He added a small cabin abovedecks. I do not know when he sold her or who to, but she is definitely sunk near the causeway (or forms part of the causeway) between Blackpool and Ostend in Waiheke Island, Auckland.

Apart from rather sketchy family history, the only information I have is from http://www.mccallumbros.co.nz/mcchistory.htm

I would love to know more about her and why she ended up where she is. Daniel if you come across anything useful about this particular scow, I would appreciate knowing more.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.