New Volvo 60 technology

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by Neverbehind, Mar 1, 2006.

1. Neverbehind

Neverbehind Junior Member

New Volvo 60 technolgy

I recently went up to Canada to check out Derek Hatfield's build site for his new open 60 (Spirit of Canada), hes had some revolutionary underwater sonar equipment developed by Raytheon (now developing military technology). This equipment should tie cleanly into raymarine auto-pilots and gauges. It's meant to search for underwater obstructions, and if it finds one while on auto-pilot, the auto-pilot will first give warning and if needed, steer around the object. Derek Hatfield has the proto-type and will use it for the next around alone race, other than this i now very little about it. Rumor has it that it will become available through raymarine in the the future depending on the test. Can anyone expand on this?

2. Neverbehind

I recently went up to Canada to check out Derek Hatfield's build site for his new volvo 60 (Spirit of Canada), hes had some revolutionary underwater sonar equipment developed by Raytheon (now developing military technology). This equipment should tie cleanly into raymarine auto-pilots and gauges. It's meant to search for underwater obstructions, and if it finds one while on auto-pilot, the auto-pilot will first give warning and if needed, steer around the object. Derek Hatfield has the proto-type and will use it for the next around alone race, other than this i now very little about it. Rumor has it that it will become available through raymarine in the the future depending on the test. Can anyone expand on this?

3. usa2

usa2 Senior Member

its an Open 60, not Volvo 60.

4. Neverbehind

Thank you usa2, my mistake.

5. presuming ed

presuming ed Junior Member

Open 60, not a Volvo 60. Very different beasts.

Will be interesting to see if they can get the sonar to work. Echopilot in the UK announced a similar piece of kit a while ago, but have now gone quiet on it.

6. Jeff

Jeff Moderator

<duplicate threads merged>

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.