A new type of spritsail-like rig ?

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by xarax, Jun 3, 2005.

1. xarax

xarax Previous Member

A spritsail rig with a jib, but with the spritsail cut diagonally in two along the sprit pole. Now we come up with three sails, a jib, a fisherman sail, and a main. Have you seen anything like this? I cannot see any obvious disadvantages, and it is simpler than a staysail schooner. :idea:

2. Skippy

Skippy Senior Member

Leakage through the cut, around the sprit. Another solution to the poor shape of the spritsail is a wishbone boom.

3. xarax

xarax Previous Member

I imagine the sprit pole as a fixed raked mast, so there are five possible advantages:

1. The two triangular sails, the fisherman sail and the main, can be reefed easily on two in-mast rollers, just as in a staysail schooner.

2. The AR of the two triangular sails is now higher than the original quadrangular, and there is an additional slot effect.

3. A raked main behind a large fisherman sail is perhaps more efficient aerodynamically, and it can work quite well without battens and a boom.

4. Due to the raked sprit-mast, there is no need for a high-roached mainsail and runners.

5. The shrouds of the two masts can came to the same two points on the deck, so there is only one strong-cross and the whole rig can be easily tuned and tensioned fore and aft with the aft stay.

The curious think is that, as far as I know, something like that has not appeared somewhere sometime. The absence of runners and the easy reefing of such a rig are great advantages. What I proposed is essentially a hybrid of the two-masted staysail schooner and the spritsail barge that should have been tried before!

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.