new sailboat bottom paint

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by rainbowfield, Dec 12, 2009.

1. rainbowfield

rainbowfield New Member

I am to have a new Bavaria Yachts 44' sailboat commissioned. Shall I assume sufficient bottom paint and antifouling have already been applied at shipyard before delivery? Some workshop suggest I do it regardless, other people say I need not to. Is it wise to wait and do it at next maintenance?

I'd appreciate any advices.

2. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

What do the builders say they're planning to apply?

Give us some specifics, and I'm sure there are professionals here who can give you a good answer. What does the contract specify? If the bottom paint and anti-fouling aren't specified, ask the builders what they're planning to use, and how it will be applied.

My amateur opinion is that if you can't trust them to give you an honest answer, you probably shouldn't trust them to build the boat unless you're planning to look over their shoulder 24/7.....

3. Itchy&Scratchy

Itchy&Scratchy Senior Member

Ive seen quite a few well known boatbuilders , who when paid to antifoul new boats, will slap on a coat of primer and 2x coats antifoul without keying up the surface first.:mad: :mad: Needless to say its all fallen off by the time the owner gets his first lift out.:(

4. Kay9

Kay9 1600T Master

Your buying a NEW 44' sailboat and your worried about an extra $200-$400 in bottem paint????!!??!

Paint the bottem.

K9

5. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

I don't know when you have paid for bottom paint on a 44' yacht, but it's a lot more then an extra 400 bucks.

Talk to the builder and find out what they use. If you plan on regular maintenance, then this will probably suffice, but if you know you're not likely to haul out next year, then up the coverage a few more coats.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.