New Rudder VS Old

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by Cliff Ruckstuhl, Apr 21, 2005.

1. Cliff Ruckstuhl

Cliff Ruckstuhl Junior Member

I had a new rudder made last year and have been very happy with it for our Hunter 28.5. I am curious as to how I could find out how much better this rudder is over the stock rudder. I would think ther must be a way to plug the number's into a program and find out how much better one is over the other? Any ideas on how to do this??

Cliff

2. Hravn

Hravn Junior Member

Hi Cliff;

a really quick and dirty way would be to download the foils97 demo from vacanti software and plug your foil section and overall rudder size in. the output is lift vs drag curve and %, but is a useful rough comparison. for more detial download xfoil and the foil sections. output is much more detailed, but not specific to your overall rudder plan, just the foil section.

good luck.

3. Cliff Ruckstuhl

Hravn,

Where will I find this Foils97 Demo?

Cliff

4. Cliff Ruckstuhl

I found it down loaded the demo now If I only knew what I was doing? I'll mess with it for a while.

Thanks
    Cliff

5. Cliff Ruckstuhl

What would be a good book I could buy that would take me through a step by step to understand more about Yacht Design? I have Steve Killing's book and love it and refer to it allot but it does not tell me how to come up with the designs. I would like to be able to take measurements of my OEM rudder and then of my new rudder and figure out how much better it is and why. I know nothing about how a CAD system would work so a book might be of better use.

Cliff

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.