Boat Design Forums  |  Boat Design Directory  |  Boat Design Gallery  |  Boat Design Book Store  |  Thanks to Our Site Sponsors

Go Back   Boat Design Forums > Design > Sailboats

Old 02-25-2017, 10:48 AM

Rep: 85 Posts: 298
Quote:
Originally Posted by Segler View Post
The Blue Heron was designed and built to HW600 specifications. 5mm “underlayment” plywood, ¾ inch #3 pine, a couple of 2x4s, some ½ inch vinyl tubing and white polytarp for sails.

First launch was in April of this year. Since then, Dunnage finished his Naiad and the two of us have had several outings on Lake Washington. We found a home at the Leschi Marina on one of their floats. Convenient and quite reasonable. Somehow we never got to sailing alongside each other or even race. Probably mostly because I felt compelled after each outing to go back to the shop for some major mods.

I removed most of my centerline floatation tank to open up the interior for side to side movement. I added external hull extensions, essentially sponsons, to increase lateral stability which was almost non-existent on the Merlin-like hull shape. The pictures below show the evolution.

I am now satisfied that I have a pretty well performing boat and look forward to some competition next spring.There is a good chance that a third boat may be joining us then.

As for the $600 budget, I had no problem meeting it. But I made all my sails, blocks, cleats, fairleads and pad-eyes in my home shop. The only manufactured, non-lumber items are 5/16 hex bolts, nuts and washers, deck screws, cordage and wire.
Congratulations on a fine, almost piano like finish. Has anyone commented as they should on this magnificent job.
Old 02-25-2017, 02:08 PM

Rep: 10 Posts: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Alan View Post
Congratulations on a fine, almost piano like finish. Has anyone commented as they should on this magnificent job.
Yes, it's a great looking boat. How is yours progressing? I'd love to see some pix.
Old 02-26-2017, 03:12 PM

Rep: 10 Posts: 26
Mac's Boat

Macbeth...

That is a very good looking boat. How did you generate the lines? Do you have some favorite software to help?

It looks to me like it will be challenging to build unless you already have learned and practiced 'traditional boatbuilding skills'. It looks like it can only be realized with some form of planking; perhaps strip planking to keep it as simple as possible. But it escapes me to see how it could be made with a few large sheets of plywood for most of the hull. Is that perception true?

The interior seems very open... lots of room. But the rigging and underwater foils are not described so I cannot see how well that roominess will be preserved. To you envisage a pivoting centerboard, a dagger-board, or lee boards? Do you intend to rig it as a cat-rig... a miniature Nonesuch? The cat rig will keep the openness pretty well. I guess the best foil for staying out of the way of everything would be a pivoting centerboard with a fairly long narrow (high aspect) blade.

Please tell us the rest of the story...

Dunnage

Old 02-27-2017, 05:17 PM

Rep: 10 Posts: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunnage View Post
Macbeth...

That is a very good looking boat. How did you generate the lines? Do you have some favorite software to help?

It looks to me like it will be challenging to build unless you already have learned and practiced 'traditional boatbuilding skills'. It looks like it can only be realized with some form of planking; perhaps strip planking to keep it as simple as possible. But it escapes me to see how it could be made with a few large sheets of plywood for most of the hull. Is that perception true?

The interior seems very open... lots of room. But the rigging and underwater foils are not described so I cannot see how well that roominess will be preserved. To you envisage a pivoting centerboard, a dagger-board, or lee boards? Do you intend to rig it as a cat-rig... a miniature Nonesuch? The cat rig will keep the openness pretty well. I guess the best foil for staying out of the way of everything would be a pivoting centerboard with a fairly long narrow (high aspect) blade.

Please tell us the rest of the story...

Dunnage
I use Delftship, then use the coordinates to do it in Freeship, which will generate the forms. The advantage of doing it in Delftship is that it has some sophisticated software for making sure the panels develop as a section of a cone, so that you can build in plywood. The panels for this one develop with very little stress in them. I would still need to use sufficiently bendy plywood to make the curves, but they won't have a lot of stress in them.

I'm thinking a pivoting centerboard, so that I can shift the clr back when I'm sailing under only the main. It also has advantages for sailing onto a beach.

I was thinking of a set of club 420 sails. If you've read the link, you know that I've also considered building it longer than the class will allow. 14 ft. is a little short for taking a couple of friends out. But I'll probably build to the class length so I can race it.

The thing is, racing is not my highest priority, and with the wide waterline beam, I'm pretty sure my boat would be slower than Richard's. I want a boat that suits my needs when I'm not racing.

I'm thinking a pivoting centerboard.