New Builder

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by TonyHovis, Feb 5, 2005.

1. TonyHovis

TonyHovis New Member

Greetings from Belize.

I am a furniture builder for nearly twenty years.

A year ago I had the pleasure of watching Mr. Ted Moores build a couple of mahogany strip race canoes.

To make a long story short, my dreams of building a canoe, have erupted into building a much larger vessel.

All of my research seems to steer amatuers to ply and glass?

I am most definately an amatuer boat builder, though I dont feel like this will be my last one. Too early to tell. Suppose it is. Will i be happier long term with a more complex building method?

I am really excited about this, as is my lady. Any pearl of wisdom would be most appreciated.

Oh yes, the boat I want to build will be a 26-28' sail boat for weekends in the carib.

Thanks,
    Tony

Last edited: Feb 5, 2005
  2. Ssor

Ssor Senior Member

http://media5.hypernet.com/cgi-bin/UBB/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=forum&f=2&submit=Go

Tony, the link is for the wooden boat forum. You will find a lot of help there and here. Start buying books on the subject and try to find a neighbor with experience to help guide you. Others on this forum and on the wooden boat forum will be better able to recommend the best books among the hundreds that are out there.

3. Skippy

Skippy Senior Member

I haven't read it, but I've seen a reference to one book on materials:

Bruce Roberts-Goodson, Boatbuilding: Steel*Glass*Wood*Aluminum

"If you're deciding which material to use."

4. nero

nero Senior Member

Buy a gallon of epoxy and silica powder, samples of glass fabrics, rip some of your pine scrap into strips of different sizes. Then have some fun building a model. You will learn a lot about what you will be doing when building a hull.

If you are a crafstman of 20 years, making a boat hull will be easy work ... only alot more of it. smile

5. Jim Herbert

Jim Herbert Junior Member

First I would decide if you would be happier with a chined boat (plywood) or a round bottom (other methods). If you like round bottoms and your friends strip canoes, you might investigate cold molding with veneer and epoxy and glass.

Jim Herbert

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.