Nelp needed with boat ID

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by fearntechnology, Nov 2, 2008.

1. fearntechnology

fearntechnology New Member

Hi All
    Hope someone can help. I am in the process of buying this yacht but cannot identify it despite hours of research. She is 27 feet long and is rigged as a ketch or perhaps a yawl -yet to find the mizzen step!- she has a drop keel and perhaps had a doghouse fitted. An unusual feature is the offset companionway which I like. The only designs I have found which are similar are those by Phil Rhodes but none of them fit the bill 100%.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. Seafarer24

Seafarer24 Sunset Chaser

Would need a better view of the cockpit, facing aft, to determine where the mizzen is stepped.

3. ironmatar

ironmatar Junior Member

i can see a round spot in the middle of the aft bench? transom box in between what looks like wood trim pieces ...strange with that tall hand rail across the aft deck its seems like the mizzen boom would be way way up hi comparativly from what im familer with...in the process rendering the mizzn very minimal. im no expert but are you shure its a 2 masted rig?
    IM

4. fearntechnology

fearntechnology New Member

Hi Folks and thanks for the interest.
    Yes there is definatley two masts, they are lying beside it. The mizzen sail is quite small, the gooseneck is high enough for the boom to clear the pushpit rail.
    Will get some more details and photos tommorow if needed and post them up.
    The hull is full of rain water and I have spotted that the keel is leaking outwards:!: , so I may just write it off as too much work. You have to be prepared to walk away from a bargain sometimes.

Thanks again
    Stephen T.

5. bistros

bistros Previous Member

Sensible man. Given the state of the used marketplace right now, you can get some amazing boats for very little money. Sad cases like this will consume money as fast as you can pump it in until your money well runs dry. Even free is not a bargain in many cases.

6. Seafarer24

Seafarer24 Sunset Chaser

"The only thing more expensive than a cheep sailboat, is a free one"

Some boats have keel plugs for drainage. Other times people drill a hole that can be filled in again later. Most often it's a leaky piece of junk and you're better off finding something else.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.