need some help regarding elevation of rudder (gap)

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by tupaitapas, Mar 9, 2011.

1. tupaitapas

tupaitapas New Member

I need some help regarding the elevation of the rudder. The rudder top end is generally very close to the stern of the ship (vertically) but in my present project it has a big gap. The present project is at design stage only and I cannot post the photograph. I posted another photograph of my previous project.

Attached Files:

2. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

Ya.. on a sailing yacht the rudder wants to be close to the hull. Generally you first fit the rudder with a good size gap, measure, drop, then with epxoy bog and fairing compound, close the gap.

3. tupaitapas

tupaitapas New Member

Sry .. but i think u dint get it .. regrets i wasnt clear enough ..

There is no gap on the rudder .. i wanted to mean the gap between the stern shell of the ship and the top of rudder. What I feel is if there is more gap, due to flow separation there will be more resistance for ship movement.

4. daiquiri

daiquiri Engineering and Design

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.