Mystery 'Trailer Sailor'

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by sonosail, Nov 20, 2009.

1. sonosail

sonosail SONOSAIL

Well, OK. It may not be a thing of beauty. Someone once loved it, for whatever reason. If I get a response at all, I expect to hear what I should 'do' with it. (it's actually not mine). I know it looks like a powerboat with a mast stuck in it. But I think that sailing was part of, at least, the original idea, however misguided that might have been.
    If anyone has any idea of what this is, I'd really appreciate it. It's located in the US, so chances are it was built there, although I don't really know a thing about it.

Thanks
    Randy Browning
    sailboatdata.com

Attached Files:

2. lewisboats

lewisboats Obsessed Member

Try getting hold of the New Jersey DNR or the department in charge of registrations and see if they will tell you the brand of the boat. You have the reg numbers there. There should also be an HIN on a plate on the transom...you can then check with the Coast Guard and find out the manufacturer and perhaps even the model...it is encoded in the HIN.

3. CT 249

CT 249 Senior Member

I think it's a British design; the name Seahawk 18 comes to mind.

Try some UK forums.

4. sonosail

sonosail SONOSAIL

Mystery Solved!

Thank you both for taking the time. According to the owner, the boat had been 're titled', and the previous owner was also in the dark about it's origins.
    It IS indeed a SEAHAWK 17, designed by John Bennet. There is actually a website that covers the history of this boat in great detail, as well copies of the original promotional literature. http://www.seahawk17.plus.com Just knowning the name was enough for me to find it easily.
    Again, very much apreciated.

Regards,
    Randy Browning
    Norwalk, CT
    sailboatdata.com

Attached Files:

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.