My Project: Bent Stainless Pulpit Question

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by ath, May 31, 2005.

1. ath

ath Junior Member

Sorry. This may be a dumb question but the local forum for my type of boat is small and hasn't responded.

The pulpit and stantions were bent from the previous owner(s). The bow pulpit tube is creased (see photo). I don't know anything about stainless. Can they be repaired by a welder or do I need to order new ones?

I would like to be armed with some information before approaching a welder.

Thanks in advance.

Attached Files:

2. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

Any reasonably large metalworking shop can fix something like that, provided they're familiar with stainless. I've seen far worse damage repaired to like-new condition. They may weld and grind smooth a sleeve overtop, or bend it back and reinforce- the welder would know.

Make sure they know how to deal with the metal you have, though. A team I work with once had a shop that thought they could handle 1" titanium tube; they shattered their jigs trying to bend it. A competent stainless-steel welder/bender will know what to do and will be able to fix this easily.

3. ath

ath Junior Member

That's great. Thank you.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.