My Project

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by WildCherry, Jan 13, 2005.

1. WildCherry

WildCherry Junior Member

Ok heres a few pics of my Current Project. A Sov 30 hull #3. Ive repaired some holes in the side. peeled,fairedand barrier coated the bottom,so far.
    Im now changing the bulkheads out. Ill try to get some shots of that so you guys can tell me if Im doing it right.

Attached Files:

2. Dutch Peter

Dutch Peter Senior Member

WildCherry,

Looks like a pretty big job you took on! Can you post pictures of the boat?
    What do you mean with "changing the bulkheads out"??

3. jdodd

jdodd New Member

ha I am in the same boat so to speak

hi guys I raised a sunk Bristol 27 and am in the process of refiting her ... all the bulkheads are trashed (must of made them out of roofing plywood) so I am having to replace all of them as well as build a new interior... the only thing that makes this worth while is the soundness of the hull ... it doesn't leak a bit and has great bottom paint. ... also I am looking for a replacement mast if anyone has one (someone stole the last one) I am in miami florida ...

4. WildCherry

WildCherry Junior Member

Well when i say changing the bulkheads. I mean. Getting a zawsaw, cuting out where they are glassed to the hull. grinding them level and clean. then replaceing with a new foam and glass copy of the original. As u can see from the pics its a mess. everything is rotten and must go. Im halfway thru the boat. I have run out of glass and resin. I have used 10 gals of resin and about 70+ yards of glass, maybe more. around 20 sheets of foam so far. and Im just a little more than halfway. After I finish the Int, I have to recore the deck. then it will be over and done with.

Attached Files:

5. SuperPiper

SuperPiper Men With Little Boats . .

Wow! She is a pretty boat. Now the project suddenly seems worth the effort. Go man!

6. Dutch Peter

Cherry,

I'm all the way with Piper, great project, worth the effort. Did you take out all the bulkheads at once? If not, don't, change the structure step by step and leave in the old structure for support. Use high density foam for bulkheads or plywood as they are structural elements.

Sorry, I'm telling you what to do and don't know your tech back ground? You're a novice, weathered amature or a spe******t?

7. WildCherry

WildCherry Junior Member

Yeah Im jacking the deck up an inch or so depending on the BH and how much lower each one is compared to what it should be. Im changing them out one at a time. Im putting up some shots of the new bulkheads as I have themn today

Attached Files:

8. WildCherry

WildCherry Junior Member

haveing probs posting the others. I have posted them, but they are not up. The website says ive posted them but i dont know where. Oh well.

9. Dutch Peter

Cherry,

You're a member of the forum, use the gallery to post your pictures. Instructions can be found on the home page of the gallery: http://boatdesign.net/gallery/

Good luck.

BTW, nice job!!

10. MattL

MattL New Member

I'm just a wanna be home boat builder. Seeing this among all the squabble raises new hopes. This is the kind of posting I like to see, thanks.

11. WildCherry

WildCherry Junior Member

Thats what I am.. a backyard boat fixer. Ive done some pretty drastic projects so far. Ive taken the deck off my Merit 25, ripped out the plywood core, and replaced with foam. that was fun. And Ive done a few other semi complete rebuilds on some olson 40's replaceing some core around the chainplates. repainting. that sort of thing. and now this huge project. and to think it all started when I was 12. I learned glass from rebuilding and tweaking sunfish centerboards and rudders.

12. grampianman

grampianman Junior Member

Premature perhaps, but what about a cabin sole?

Wild Cherry and others,
    I am in the process of fixing a Grampian 23, recoring decks and cabin and then inside tearout, etc. (grampian23 dot tripod dot com) I would like to replace the cabin sole with something other than the plywood and carpet which was there when I found her. I was wondering if anyone here had thought of what material to put underfoot. Personally I was going to look into epoxying thin (1/4"?) strips of teak to a plywood back and shaping that to the hull. Not fully traditional like a teak and holly sole, but something approaching it.
    So, any thoughts, comments, ideas?

Cheers,
    Ian

13. WildCherry

WildCherry Junior Member

well I havent decided what Im going to use as a floor yet. Id like to use the same foam core/glass sheets that I have everywhere else. but its getting expensive. Thinking cear planks of 1x6's as they are cheap light and easy to find. not great for looks, but its a race boat not a disco.

14. DarthSailor

DarthSailor New Member

Blast from the past

I sailed on that boat while in school. It was at one time donated to Spring Hill College a Jesuit School in Mobile. Anyway the president of the school a sailor/priest thought that Wild Cherry was a bad name for a boat that a priest used. He asked some of us to come up with a better name after seeing our mockup for the name 'Thornbirds' he decided that he could live with Wild Cherry. ;)

I am glad to see the boat being put back in action, good luck with the rest of the work.

15. WildCherry

WildCherry Junior Member

bumping this up so you remember what I started with =)

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.