Moth on Foils: 35.9 knots(41.29 mph)

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by Doug Lord, Apr 11, 2006.

1. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Guest

Moth on Foils-- Veal is back!

Rohan Veal is about to resume his competitive career in the Moth class starting as soon as he gets his new VRX-the top of the line Bladerider. He may race at the Gorge this summer.....

2. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Guest

New Swiss Moth

This boat has dual bow wands but the comment on the website says: "Tiller controls main foil". So far as I know the first instance of such an arrangement
    was on my first foiler design 10 years ago and is also being used on my new boat. It will be interesting to find out more details about this boat.
    http://swissmoth.blogspot.com/2009/02/suissenautic-samuel-new-moth.html

Attached Files:

3. Chris Ostlind

Chris Ostlind Previous Member

I built a control system like that too... except mine was 11 years ago and I have photos of it flying. Do you have some equivalent pictures for us, Doug?

I'll show you mine, if you show us yours...!!!

4. jpz

jpz Junior Member

Hello Guy... will not spend ages on this forum. But Samuel's new boat will be a little piece of technique..... tiller will control main foil et the dual wands will set the rudder... Keep in touch.

Jean-Pierre Ziegert - http://www.mach2boats.ch

5. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Guest

6. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Guest

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 26, 2009
  7. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Guest

8. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Guest

Moth on Foils-

Just want to thank Jeff for updating the title of this thread to reflect the recent Moth peak record. Thanks!

9. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Guest

Moth on Foils-a toast to 100,000 views!

Congratulations to the Moth class and most especially the pioneers-Ilett,Wardi,Veal and a few others. Thats a lot of interest in a spectacular new technology!
    And the surface has barely been scratched in the applications possible with this versatile and extraordinary technology.

Attached Files:

10. Paul B

Paul B Previous Member

Why are you re-posting photos of boats you have nothing to do with, on a thread about a technology you have failed at?

Shouldn't you be spending your time producing the drawings you mentioned on your "Trapwing"TM, Circle C, Circle R Thread?

If you don't need to finish these drawings maybe you should be in the shop building the boat you've claimed has been in build for the past year.

Of course you recently posted the fact that the appendages, rig, and ballast mechanism were not yet designed. So I wonder what has been in build for the past year, the existing catamaran hull you were given? Oh, that was already built?

11. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Guest

12. wet feet

wet feet Senior Member

This was what was at Alexandra Palace.Interesting treatment of the rudder foil tips.

Attached Files:

13. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Guest

Moth on Foils

Very interesting-thanks!

===================
    See "Foiler Design" 3/24/09 for a paper on hydrofoil Moths presented at the Chesapeke Sailing Yacht Symposium.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 24, 2009
  14. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Guest

15. bistros

bistros Previous Member

Having never foiled on a Moth. let alone gybe one foilborne, I feel I am in no position to offer an opinion on Adam May's presentation.

How is it that you have been able to determine it is great (and you do mean great)?

Doug, if you feel it necessary to present links to other people's work like this, it would be more credible to present the link and ask the people in a position to evaluate the presentation and review it for the forum.

No, I don't want you to reply in outrage that I should not question Adam May's work. I'm not questioning his work in the slightest. I'm questioning your representation that you are qualified to evaluate it.

--
    Bill

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.