Moth on Foils: 35.9 knots(41.29 mph)

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by Doug Lord, Apr 11, 2006.

1. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Guest

Moth on Foils-Revolution!-Singlehander Yardstick Regatta AU

From Phil S. on DA:
    :Its over. Perfect weather, perfect venue. Thanks Paul and all of SLMASC for putting it on. Very well run and very enjoyable as always.

Until results get posted a quick summary is that the moths sailed much faster than their VYC yardstick and took out the first 5 (at least) places. This against top sailors in Contenders, Spirals, OKs, Impulse, Sabres and the fastest IC in the country.

It appears that the moth fleet has moved a couple of steps forward since the regatta result data used to set the latest VYC ratings.

--------------------

Phil S
    Moth AUS 9343, My moth Blog
    IC/DC AUS 21, My Sailing Canoe Blog
    2011 Moth Worlds Belmont NSW

2. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Guest

Moth on Foils--Veal says:

12/13/08
    "There was one A Class cat that started with us also but all five Bladeriders tore off to windward rounding the top mark well ahead of the fastest single handed catamaran in the World."
    -----------------------
    Monday 15 December, 2008 - Going For Broke!

" I took the Yanks to 'The Pond' (Hazelwood Pondage) as racing was called off on Sunday at Black Rock's Go For Gold. The Pond is a heated lake from a local coal power station and is still the home of the Moth World peak speed record at 27.9 knots. I thought I would show the guys this special foiling place at the Latrobe Valley Yacht Club as my theory is that due to warm fresh water, it is much less viscious and dense, than colder salt water and therefore easier to travel faster through.

So Kevin went out first, and even in the 15-18 knots we had with super flat warm water, he still clocked 25 knots as the best peak speed. I then had a go and got a two good runs in at 25.7 knots.

So I am 100% confident now that if we get a 20-30 SW day on the bay, then we are heading down there to finally clock 30! Kevin's boat was easily handled the sudden acceleration from 22 knots to 25 knots (in a 18 knot puff) and will comfortably handle more wind and more speed. Just have to wait for the right day now! "

www.rohanveal.com

Attached Files:

3. PI Design

PI Design Senior Member

yawn.

No one denies that Moths are fast - they ought to be, they hardly touch the water! Comparing the worlds best Mothie against an un-named A Class is hardly scientific proof. I'm sure if I raced a Bladerider against Chris Field in his A Class I would be left for dead. But even if the Moth is faster, so what? Yes the foiling moths look cool, but your message is (more than) a little repetitive.

1 person likes this.
  4. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Guest

Moth on Foils

The fact is that this time it wasn't just Veal beating the A Class(he beat a fleet of top A class sailors about 4 years ago) it included a lot of Bladerider sailors with much less experience than Veal.
    But the real news is that Veal is going for the magic 30 knot mark. He has held the peak class record at 27.9 knots for several years.
    This thread is called "Moth on Foils" for a reason: to catalogue the development and achievements of this little monohull which is (at least) the fastest sailboat under 20' beating cats and skiffs. Further ,the thread catalogues the development of bi-foil technology-one of the most significant advances in sailboat design in 100 years.

5. PI Design

PI Design Senior Member

But all out max speed is not important for a Moth. It would be relatively easy to make a Moth with a higher top speed than a standard Bladerider (just change the foils), but it may not be quicker across a range of winds and directions. It would be even easier to take a Moth-like (non rule compliant) boat and go faster still. But where's the fun in that?

1 person likes this.
  6. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Guest

-----------------------------
    Who says? Did you read Rohans quote?

7. PI Design

PI Design Senior Member

Its not important for a Moth that is racing round the cans. Its just a bit of fun on the side.

8. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Guest

Moth on Foils

New VRX(Bladerider) with North Sail:
    (can you see the foil breaking the surface on Amac's boat?)

Attached Files:

9. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Guest

Attached Files:

10. Chris Ostlind

Chris Ostlind Previous Member

Pretty crappy photos of that boat, eh? Two small images that say exactly zip.

11. bgulari

bgulari Junior Member

Have no fear

Doug is looking for the latest picture right now.

If you want to see it before Doug puts it up goto sipayne.blogspot.com

1 person likes this.
  12. wind_apparent

wind_apparent wind driven speed addict

13. Paul B

Paul B Previous Member

Not to mention the mechanism for the mid-ship wand seems to be missing.

Why don't the tips of the foils crank upward like they do on the foils we've seen in the infamous "pile-o'-parts" photos? If those foils are right, these foils must be wrong...

1 person likes this.
  14. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Guest

Moth on Foils----new record

From Rohan Veal's site today-new 10 second average:
    "We have taken delivery of a few of the new version 7 North Sails that will be seen on the rigs of a number of top Mothies at the Aussie Nationals next week.

However Arnaud was the first to sail with one of them today in 20-30 knots and clocked 27.4 knots as a new 10 second average speed on his Bladerider X8 with a MH7 sail. His peak speed was 27.8 knots making two people now within 0.1 knot of the highest peak speed ever recorded on a Moth."

www.rohanveal.com

15. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Guest

Moth on Foils -------Aussie Nationals

Great reporting here from Bora Gulari-Team USA:
    http://forums.sailinganarchy.com/index.php?showtopic=85054&st=0&#entry2096581

Mothcast daily here: http://www.mothcast.net
    =====
    Update-Simon Payne/Mach II wins first race
    =====
    Update-Day 2-Mach II still #1 after 4 races-
    =====
    Nathan Outteridge(Olympic 49er sailor) wins; Mach II Simon Payne 2nd. Team USA 6th.(3281 in pix below)
    Full results: http://topyachtsoftware.com/results/2009/sgw/series/moth/SGrp1.htm
    -Sail-World article:http://www.sail-world.com/USA/49er-World-Champion-Nathan-Outteridge-wins-Moth-Australian-title/53208
    Quick summary:
    1) winner used a North sail-first time KA hasn't been on a winner in a very long time.
    2) Impressive performance by Payne in new boat-1st race.
    3) Third place Lister 190lb(!) sailed 'homebuilt' boat.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 25, 2009
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.