Moth on Foils: 35.9 knots(41.29 mph)

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by Doug Lord, Apr 11, 2006.

1. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Guest

Moth on Foils

Thanks Pi. Have you sailed a Moth foiler or any other foiler?

2. PI Design

PI Design Senior Member

No, I haven't.

3. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Guest

Foiling

Pi, if you get the chance try any foiler you can. Whether its the Moth, RS600FF,Rave, or Hobie trifoiler once you get in the air you'll see what drives me.You may even recognize the potential for development of and the wider applications for bi-foiler technology as time goes by. And its not all about speed-it's about flying under sail.
    Try it ,please...

4. PI Design

PI Design Senior Member

I don't doubt that it's fun. Very fun. I do doubt how practical they are. If I was a race-mad batchelor I might put up with driving for an hour to find a location suitable for sailing from, with wading out waste deep to launch, with spending £9k on a boat, with needing to sail once or twice a week (EVERY week) just to get to grips with it, etc etc. But I'm not, so I have neither the time nor money to justify getting one. The foiling trimarans might be easier to sail, but are fairly impractical to launch and store, and really don't do it for me. Some of the problems with foilers can and will be overcome with time (cost, fragility, sailing difficulty), but others are inherent in the concept. Now, if you could develop a foiling kit for Lasers, you'd be laughing...

5. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Guest

Moth On Foils///Bladerider Tech

From Rohan Veals site:
    "So the last couple of weeks have been spent playing around with new wand mechanisms, different wands, push rods and bell cranks. I did all the go fast mod's to the guy's boats here in Melbourne and apparantly the difference is incredible compared to what they used to have. So I tried doing something completely different this time and used an ultra fast gearing and an extremely bending wand and it sucked! There were other issues associated with it, but I think all the stuff that I have put in the updated Troubleshooting Guide is about it for now in terms of optimising the control systems, however we still need to add some info about the wand axle, as we have that the position of this is critical when introducing faster gearing into the wand mechanism. Now to get back to work on the foils and rig with Amac, as he should be back from his family holiday by now."
    ========================
    Go to www.rohanveal.com and click on the Troubleshooting Guide for some insight into the Bladerider......

6. SimonN

SimonN Junior Member

Doug

I have 4 questions for you

1. Did you get my permission to reproduce part of my blog on here? I am not too happy about you using my words to support your inane rantings.

2. Having read through some of this, do you really get such a buzz out of living life vicariously?

3. You ask somebody whether they have ever sailed a Moth. Well, you haven't. By your own admission, you haven't even sailed a proper bi-foiler. If you regularly sailed foilers, you might tone down your unhealthy obsession.

4. If you spent as much time building your foiler as you spend reading and posting other people's work, you might actually get the boat on the water. When will it be finished? And if it really has been started, why won't you show us all pictures and give progress reports?

BTW, these really are retorical questions and there is no need to answer, as I don't intend to frequent this thread. It's bad enough having to put up with your madness elsewhere! What is so sad is that with your energy and knowledge, you really could build a boat and have a lot of fun. However, you will not listen to anybody else and are so arrogant that you will not accept advice from people who have the practical experience that you so clearly lack. After all, The Lord is never wrong when it comes to matters of foiling!

7. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Guest

Moth On Foils

Simon, I most carefully looked at your blog and your material didn't seem to be copyrighted- I thought others would get a kick out of it.
    My apologies,I think.

8. SimonN

SimonN Junior Member

Doug

You really don't understand. The thing that I find objectionable is that on Sailing Anarchy, you are consistently rude and obnoxious towards me and say i have nothing to contribute to the foiling debate. I think the word you used was that I was an "inept foiler". The irony that you should quote my blog hasn't been lost on the people on SA.

What makes it worse is that your attacks on me are due to the fact I have seen through your charade regarding your first "foiler". You consistently avoid answering key questions about your boat which could shed more light on its failure. I cannot be bothered to search through this forum but if I did, I am sure I would find more of your inconsistencies and BS.

So, from one foiler to a non foiler, please stop living your foiling experiences vacariously as you consistently mis quote and misinterpret what others say. Stop posting. Go out there and get foiling.

9. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Guest

Moth On Foils

Simon, it's too bad you bring your style of discussion by personal attack with you......

10. SimonN

SimonN Junior Member

Doug

The situation is simple. You are rude, obnoxious and insulting towards me and most others elsewhere. For a long time I have asked you not to quote other people's experiences to substitute for the lack of knowedge and real experiences of your own. Even since the post above, you have launched a personal attack on me on SA. If you want people to stop their personal attacks on you, I would suggest that you stop initiating them with what you say.

Matter closed?

1 person likes this.
  11. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Guest

Moth on Foils//// News....

Simon Payne was the inspiration for starting this thread-see post #1. Now-along with everybody else, he has his own blog: http://sipayne.blogspot.com/
    ===========
    Also-Rohan has info about a race in Dubai with a chance for others to beat is around the world record where he beat the record previously established by a VX-40 cat. www.rohanveal.com

12. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Guest

Fantastic picture from Rohan Veals website....and David Luggs I14-the first two person bi-foiler ever-done just months after the first Moth.......

Attached Files:

13. Pericles

Pericles Senior Member

14. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Guest

Moth on Foils

P- I was one of the first on this forum to congratulate the kite guy!

15. Pericles

Pericles Senior Member

You damned him with faint praise.

Pericles

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.