Boat Design Forums  |  Boat Design Directory  |  Boat Design Gallery  |  Boat Design Book Store  |  Thanks to Our Site Sponsors

Go Back   Boat Design Forums > Design > Sailboats

Old 04-17-2017, 02:02 PM

Rep: 40 Posts: 109
Thanks for those links, great reading!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCockey View Post
Stephens Waring Yacht Design specializes in "Spirit of Tradition" yachts, ie yachts with a combination of traditional aesthetics and modern performance. http://stephenswaring.com/

Several posts in the News section of their website discuss what Spirit of Tradition means including:

THE 8 RULES OF SPIRIT OF TRADITION YACHT DESIGN http://stephenswaring.com/the-8-rule...-yacht-design/

A SPIRIT OF TRADITION CLASS MANIFESTO http://stephenswaring.com/a-spirit-o...ing-manifesto/

THE SOT REGATTA DEBATE GOES GLOBAL http://stephenswaring.com/the-sot-re...e-goes-global/
Old 04-17-2017, 02:04 PM

Doug, thanks for the pictures! Post as many as can if you have them, so few exist that I know of.
I really wish we could find out what happened to Georgia or any of the other 5. If you are ever interested in a yachting archeology adventure, let me know. If there is even the slightest chance she is intact somewhere in the world I'd love to find her!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Lord View Post
--------------------------
I never had the pleasure to sail on Georgia-I was but a gleam in my Fathers eye at that point. But I have many pictures of the boat and the memories of the great stories about Dad and Mom and their friends. Dad loved to race and he scared the hell out of Mom and others cutting it very close at times. He must have had great fun! He sailed the boat for a year or two with no engine! He wouldn't have changed Georgia for anything but,at the same time, later in his life he really liked what Joel White did with the W.

From Dads picture:UPDATE-sorry to say it looks like the camera ,somehow, distorted this picture with slightly more sweep to the sheer line than is actually there. Actually, the whole boat is distorted-just noticed it and put a straight edge on the image here and the actual image and the waterline is curved on this image. Sorry.....

Old 04-17-2017, 06:19 PM

Rep: 294 Posts: 992
Keel, Keel, Keels.

If you insist on a long keel with reduced draft, i.e.: rudder attached to keel. Maybe you may want to consider something along the following lines.
A classic 12M. in this drawing representing Weatherly above water with considerably less displacement below waterline and a draft reduced from 9' to 7'. The separate /attached rudder keel reduce the wetted surface, improves aspect ratio and probably is better for all around performance. The Sail Plan could become more in line with a Skerry type of rig and rigging.
Attached Thumbnails
Modernizing Classics, Efficient Long Keels but reduce draft?-weatherlyplus.jpg  
Old 04-17-2017, 06:25 PM
Flight Ready

Rep: 1362 Posts: 13,712
Georgia

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloudDiver View Post
Doug, thanks for the pictures! Post as many as can if you have them, so few exist that I know of.
I really wish we could find out what happened to Georgia or any of the other 5. If you are ever interested in a yachting archeology adventure, let me know. If there is even the slightest chance she is intact somewhere in the world I'd love to find her!
==========================
At various times over the last 20 years I have looked for her- talking to some of my Dads old sailing buddies(now dead) and never could find a thing.
Old 04-18-2017, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Lord View Post
==========================
At various times over the last 20 years I have looked for her- talking to some of my Dads old sailing buddies(now dead) and never could find a thing.
I wonder if anything can found by way of documentation, registration, etc? Was she USCG documented or just DMV titled, registered?

Old 04-18-2017, 03:26 PM
Flight Ready

Rep: 1362 Posts: 13,712
Georgia

I searched the USCG documented vessel database for "Georgia" and there were 20+ boats but nothing with her specs.