Model sailing boats

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by Carl Eymnan, May 15, 2003.

1. Carl Eymnan

Carl Eymnan New Member

Is this the proper place to ask for help on model, toy sailboats? I'd like a design that would be appropriate for me with help of grandchildren to build and race. Something simple.

Also what is a good source for plans, ideas, equipment for radio controlled sailboats? Thanks

2. Guest

Guest Guest

Scale Ship Modeller magazine is a great source for all types of r/c boats... power and sail.

there is also a company manufacturing a semi-scale Lasers:

www.SailRCLaser.com

3. Lew Morris

Lew Morris Industrial Designer

4. Ward

Ward Junior Member

I have a thunder tiger victoria. I've had it for about 6 years, although it doesnt get used anymore. It does still work beatufully though. If I remember right, it was about $250 for the kit. I had help from a friend when I was building it though, since I had never put one together before. One major problem that he was able to forsee was the sail servo. I do not know if the current victoria kit has been revised, but the kit I bought was meant to accept a standard size servo for both the main and jib sail. We modified the radio box to accept a larger 'sail servo'. The servo alone was about $50, but its well worth the price. It has no problems whatsoever towing the sails. It also seems fast as well. The only thing I've ever been able to compare it to was my friends custom R/C sailboat, which was about the same size and sail area, but not as slender of a hull design. My victoria would run circles around it :p

5. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Guest

Model Sailboats

Check out www.amya.org the HUGE website of the American Model Yachting Association.
    Models today can have spinnakers canting keels ,hydrofoils or just be glorified pond sailers....all fun.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.