Mini Ocean Racing Scow

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by Doug Lord, Aug 2, 2011.

1. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

2. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

747 Scow

From Scuttlebutt Europe today:

La Charente-Maritime/Bahia Transat 6.50

At 1:30 p.m local time Thursday, the start of the second stage between Funchal (Madeira, Portugal) and Salvador (Bahia-Brazil) will be given. 3,130 miles or 5,797 km of navigation that will lead the 77 competitors from the Northern Hemisphere to the Southern Hemisphere. An interesting and difficult route with the crossing of the Canary Islands and Cape Verde, the Doldrums and navigation along the coast of Brazil to Salvador in the State of Bahia.

Analysis of the second stage by Denis Hugues - Race Director:

"The second stage takes the yachtsmen into the southern hemisphere. They'll head down towards the Canaries. There'll be a few opportunities to get ahead of the game between the islands of the archipelago, where the winds often pick up speed. But they'll have to watch out for the significant becalming effect caused by the mountainous terrain on some islands (Tenerife, whose highest point stands at 3700 metres, creates a becalming effect for up to 30 nautical miles). The competitors will then find themselves following the trade winds to Cape Verde, where the Minis' position as they sail through the archipelago will decide which direction they take to go through the famous Doldrums.

The marker point is still between Maio, the easternmost island in the archipelago, and San Antao, the westernmost. This course mark will enable the fleet to group together for safety reasons. They'll then have to position themselves as well as possible to approach the Doldrums, the inter-tropical convergence zone where the winds from the northern hemisphere meet those of the southern hemisphere. It's a particularly tricky buffer zone where the boats can be without wind for hours and then suddenly get caught up in a 50-knot squall! You therefore need to be on your toes the whole time to make sure you get out of the area as fast as possible.

28 minutes between Sebastien Rogues and David Raison (747 - TeamWork Evolution) and 1 hour 32 minutes between Sebastien and Jorg Riechers (753 - Mare.de). They are 20 prototypes with a 12 hour time spread.

In the Series fleet, Benoit is 51 minutes ahead of Clement Bouyssou (514 - Douet Distribution) and 1 hour 28 minutes ahead of Davy Beaudart (Innovea Environnement). There are 16 within 12 hours.

Prototypes ranking - 1st leg La Rochelle/Funchal - 33 boats
    1. Sebastien Rogues (719 - Eole Generation - GDF SUEZ), 8d 20h 46m 43s
    2. David Raison (757 - TeamWork Evolution), 8d 21h 15m 8s3. Jorg Riechers (753 - Mare.de), 8d 22h 10m 7s

Series ranking - 1st leg La Rochelle/Funchal - 46 boats
    1. Benoit Mariette (599 - Odalys Vacances), 9d 8h 31m 39s
    2. Clement Bouyssou (514 - Douet Distribution), 9d 9h 22m 56s
    3. Davy Beaudart (674 - Innovea Environnement), 9d 9h 59m 18s
    www.charentemaritime-bahia.transat650.net

3. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

4. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

747 scow

David Raison is in 19th at present.....

5. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

747 Scow

The scow is now in......1st place!! From 20 something to 1st in 24 hours-not too shabby. Go David!

6. ancient kayaker

ancient kayaker aka Terry Haines

The scow is an interesting concept, a kind of monster high-tech pram, reminiscent of a sailing garvey, but clearly designed to sail on its ear whereas I suspect most garveys might be happiest kept upright. There is a video of the scow sailing with another boat, similar size but with a regular sharp bow. The two boats seem of a size and I wondered if they were in any way comparable apart from bow design, perhaps same LOA.

In lighter conditions the other boat might make more efficient use of limited wind power, but in fairly heavy conditions it seemed to me that the "sharpie" was burying its bow more than perhaps was best, whereas the scow with all that reserve forward buoyancy bounced over the waves instead of being stopped in its tracks as one might expect. Clearly it is very light and at the same time carries a lot of sail. It would be interesting to get reports from the crews on relative riding comfort, not that it's particularly important in a racing context.

7. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

747 Scow

Raison now in 12th. Go David!

8. ancient kayaker

ancient kayaker aka Terry Haines

Doug: it would be interesting to know the conditions for the previous 24 hours when you report progress, to see if the theory that this is a heavy weather boat is valid.

9. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

How are the water ballast tanks arranged on the typical mini as compared to the scow ? trim ballast ? Is the scow able to sail ballast light and keep the bow up when driving hard downwind.

10. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

Mini Transat

Sorry, guys but I don't think have the time to research these good questions, particulary since many of the answers are in French and I don't have a "translator" any more.

11. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

12. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

747 scow

In 5th place this morning, but it looks like he had to tack-not heading parallel to the course.

From Scuttlebutt Europe this morning:

Mini Transat

Last night, the race director had to manage the third dismasting, that of Renaud Chavarria (596 - Beziers Mediterranee), after the night before, the Italians Andrea Caracci (756 - Speedy Maltese) and Tiziano Rossetti (542 - Una Vela per Emergency).

"Edulis" one of the support boats diverted and is alongside Chavarria. He must make a jury rig and return to the Canaries, the Cape Verde Islands are too far away.

Perils of the sea for some, amazing race for others. Yesterday in the early evening, Sebastien Rogues (716 - Eole Generation - GDF SUEZ) was leading. He even made a (very) short break of a few miles, but he gybed futher west hoping to find more pressure. Risky option?

At dawn Bertrand Delesne (754 - Zone Large) took the lead from Sebastien and Thomas Normand (787 - Financiere de l'Echiquier). "Seb" is 36 miles further west in latitude compared to Bertrand and Thomas. Who is right? There are 10 boats within less than 27 miles.

Eric Llull's (566 - Noble Cocoa) morale should be the highest. Already excellent in the first leg, he follows an almost straight course close to the direct route. At Saturday night score, he was 15.42 miles ahead of Davy Beaudart (674 - Innovea Environnement). This morning he was 14 miles ahead of Renaud Mary (535 - runo.fr), but already 19.43 miles of Pierre Brasseur (552 - Voile Ocean) and over 20 miles of Davy Beaudart.
    Rankings 16 October 1600 UTC

Top three, Series:
    1. Eric Llull
    2. Renaud Mary
    3. Pierre Brasseur

Top three, Protos:
    1. Bertrand Delesne
    2. Sebastien Rogues
    3. Thomas Normand

www.charentemaritime-bahia.transat650.net

13. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

747 Scow

Fourth place as of the time of this post. Go David!

one of the dismastings so far-photo from Edulis support vessel:

click on image-

Attached Files:

14. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

747 Scow

David is in first again! And doing 11 knots....

Update-David is in third place as of 2:23PM EDT.....

Update-Still in third 10/19/11

Last edited: Oct 19, 2011

15. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

Mini Transat

Sebastion Rogues won the first leg, beating David Raison-just. Now he's been hurt and must withdraw. What a shame!! I know severe life changing back pain real well and I feel for Sebastion.
    From the Race website:

Sébastien has hurt his back on the second day of this second leg and he had to stop in Mindelo on Sao Vicente island this morning. After having moored his prototype "Eole Generation - GDF SUEZ," he has seen a doctor, who strongly recommended him to halt all physical activities. Sébastien was very disappointed but he had to give up this adventure.
    Sébastien fell on the head of his keel inside the boat and it provoked intense back pain. After 4 nights without sleep, he decided to call in Mindelo to see a doctor. After a medical examination and back X-rays, it turned out that the sciatic nerve is slightly injured. The doctor recommended to stop all physical activities. Sébastien is extremely disappointed to - for his own safety - stop his race. Great winner of the first leg between La Rochelle and Funchal, Sébastien was at the forefront when approaching the Cape Verde islands. He was 4th and well positioned in the west, he could have taken advantage of the wind direction to go back to the 1st place before the Doldrums. Proving, one more time, that he is a smart sailor and that he undoubtely was a candidate for victory. Sébastien controled his race despite the unbearable pain.

One experience for the future
    Disapointed but aware that this kind of misfortune is part of the sea perils, Sébastien wants to be positive anyway: “I am frustrated beacuse I really wanted to win. I have really tried but the pain was unbearable. My back was so painful that I haven't slept for four days. Even minor manoeuvres had become nightmares to me. I have reluctantly decided to give up the race but I did not want to risk my life. My victory in the first leg will, forever, be my best memory. It made me understand that I had the potential and I now am looking to the future.”

Source : Eole Generation - GDF SUEZ

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.