Mini J Class

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by Tim Judge, May 28, 2010.

1. Paul Newell

Paul Newell New Member

The original Wooden J was going to be fitted out with a solid lead keel (the photo shows the bottom of the keel stub ready to take the lead. A pattern was made but the lead was never cast. This pattern was eventually used to as fire wood on a stove as Dad decided that it would never get used for it's original purpose.

2. Tim Judge

Tim Judge Tim J

Thanks Paul for posting the photo. I am close to completing a deck replacement including all of the aft flotation chamber foam and new foam core and glass/carbon fiber structural sub-deck. I would love to get a copy of the original sail designs/plans. I will post a photo soon of two men sailing one of the Endeavour Js with a fiberglass deck. The photo was taken by Hamo Thornycroft.

Doug...glad to see you are still following.

Tim

3. Tim Judge

Tim Judge Tim J

Original Endeavor J

This is a photograph was taken by Hamo Thornycroft ( www.yacht-photos.co.uk ) of one of the Endeavour Js with a fiberglass deck. I also have a report that was written by Fraser and Jean Fraser-Harris in August 1986 about one they sailed on Lake Constance in Switzerland. I am always interested in learning more about these boats.

Attached Files:

4. Peter Davidoff

Peter Davidoff New Member

Mini J Class Endeavour

Tom, I have Mini J I bought it from Mark Heydt back in 1999. I have it in Boston Harbor. Other than Robert Sennott (not sure if he still owns one) do you know if there are any others in the Boston Area?
    LOA 20ft 4in
    LWL 12 ft
    Beam 3ft 6 in

5. rcnesneg

rcnesneg Senior Member

I'm building one. It is 16 feet long, and 3 feet wide. my own design, and has two 30 lb dumbbells in the bottom. I may replace that with lead if it isn't enough stability. It is designed to run with a Laser rig or something equivalent, although I'm not sure how i'll attach a jib.

[​IMG]

The frame is cardboard (3 and 4 layer thick piano boxes), and when I have more $$$, I'll encase the whole thing in fiberglass.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

Mini J

Are you also still building the Minuet style boat? Good luck and please keep us abreast of your progress.....

7. rcnesneg

rcnesneg Senior Member

Yes, I am doing both. This one will be on the back burner for a while, the Minuet is a higher priority. Basically, I need to finish skinning the shell and fiberglass the whole thing, and this one would be done. Same with the Minuet, but it is a bit farther ahead.

8. Tim Judge

Tim Judge Tim J

Peter:

I am only aware of one that was in New Rochelle that was taken over from the previous owner. The boat was on the trailer and in rough shape. Fiberglass deck. There is another in Sag Harbor that was damaged by a tree fall in a boat yard. I know of a third in VA that was purchased on Cape Cod that was previously in CT. With yours that would account for five of the six imported by the Martha's Vineyard Shipyard.

My boats previously was sailing out of the Eastern Yacht Club in Marblehead, MA, and is about to be relaunched after a two year restoration.

9. Tim Judge

Tim Judge Tim J

After two years, Kay Fore, is nearing the end of her complete overhaul. All of the damaged gel coat has been removed, re-glassed and epoxied. The original flotation foam fore and aft has been removed and new foam poured in place. The most of steering system was replaced, and new sub-decks fore and aft were constructed of marine ply, epoxied and glassed with 6 oz cloth, with 8 oz carbon/fiberglass added to strengthen under the mast step. All this in preparation for a new teak deck.

Painting, trim work and hardware installation yet to come...then the fun starts testing her new sails.

Attached Files:

10. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

Mini J

Tim, glad to hear you're almost ready to sail! Can't wait to see sailing pictures. Good Luck! Doug

11. rcnesneg

rcnesneg Senior Member

Beautiful! Do I spy some lead bricks?

12. Tim Judge

Tim Judge Tim J

RC...yes those are lead bricks. I used them as ballast in the fore of the cockpit to balance out the boat. The old teak deck leaked and the sub-deck was kerf cut but never sealed, resulting in a water logged aft flotation chamber. The lead bricks came in handy for the glue and screw of the new teak deck. The new deck was laid up in two sections by Teakdecking Systems of Sarasota FL, same company that did the decks on the J class Endeavour during her refit a couple of years ago in NZ. This photo is of the deck inside the cockpit sole of a Morris 42 on the Teakdecking Systems shop floor.

Attached Files:

13. rcnesneg

rcnesneg Senior Member

Ok that is some seriously good quality craftsmanship! I'm envious!

14. rcnesneg

rcnesneg Senior Member

Unfortunately, it appears as though, at least for me, the mini J class does not have a place in my inventory of small boats, and so it appears as though I will be doing my first boat disposal. So far I haven't put any money into the build, and would prefer to concentrate my efforts on my other projects, which are both more attention-getting, practical, and faster. I need the space from the hulk and don't see myself completing it, and if I did, I don't see myself using it. I also don't have a way to move it around. I envisioned removable ballast inside the keel, and cartopping upside down, but that is very inconvenient.

Any Ideas from you guys?

This is the status it is in as of now: [​IMG]

In any case, I want to see lots of pictures from the rest of you guys who have mini-J class boats!

I also have the freeship plans if anyone wants them.

15. rcnesneg

rcnesneg Senior Member

Does anyone have any information on this boat? Apparently it is at the Dusseldorf Boot 2015 boat show.

[​IMG]

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.